Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The deadly 7!

Blog Entries

Cool The deadly 7!

There are 7 deadly enemies to face in any given survival situation, they are:

1.) Fear & anxiety. (Panic kills!)

2.) Pain, illness and injury. (Why I consider learning 1st aid a #1 priority!)

3.) Cold &/or heat. (Yes, fire-starting skills are important, but what about staying cool?)

4.) Thirst, hunger, & fatigue.

5.) Sleep deprivation.

6.) Boredom. (Links to #7 as well.)

7.) Loneliness & isolation.

So far this site answers the 1st 5 pretty good, however, what about #6 & #7? If you're alone what can you do about #6? If you've been caught out in a bad blizzard, for example, & you quickly make a snow shelter & climb in you may be there for hours. What do you do? Have you prepared for that eventuality?

If your isolated & alone how do you cope?

This is one reason I try to discourage "going solo" to those who are new to the outdoors. Many old-timers like the idea of going it alone and are used to it, but what about a neophyte?

I always try to have a book, deck of cards, And my "Rite-in-the-Rain Notebook and Fisher space pen with me. The book can be a novel, or even the Bible, however, I do consider these items just as important as a 1st Aid kit, flint & steel, etc.. Your thoughts?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

a deck of playing cards can go a long way.

a radio isnt the same as a person but it sure can chase the boogey man away.

i hear talking to a volley ball helps

young survivalist

i second the volleyball. i saw a show that really supported it.its risky but you could bring a bungee cord. oh and a cell phone is very entertaining. most come with games
    some people like Bear Grylls. others like Les Stroud. well you know what. i like Jerimiah Johnson

Well I think in a survival situation,Staying busy is one answer. Ok so you are in whatever shelter you have made and it is night. Try carving to make some useful tool that will help,like a spoon.Make triggers for deadfalls and snare making,Cordage or other crafting like knapping. There are many things you can do,twiddling your thumbs is not going to help. I agree something to read is helpful too,anything to occupy your mind that doesn't require batteries.

When I was homeless, one thing I did was to try and forge a blade from a piece of flatbar. I didn't need it, I had knives. It did give me something to do however. Granted I was in a "Long term" situation, and this was a "long term" project. My point is to do "Something", anything,weave a basket,whatever.

I've never let mental woes get in the way of living or surviving. Yes, I have fear and anxiety and I don't like being alone, bored and isolated for extended periods of time. You just have to "suck it up" and ignore the woes that these mental stresses bring. Bottom line!

I suppose you must do something to get it off your mind or simply ignore the thoughts that are provoked by it.

We can control what our minds think. When I quit smoking, all three times, my mind constantly nagged me for a smoke. I simply ignored those thoughts and removed them from my mind. If I could no longer ignore them I would find something to do that would keep my mind busy on other things. Eventually those thoughts subside and you naturally build up a strength against them.

My first full time job was production in a machine shop. It was extremely repetitive and terribly boring. But, I needed money to survive. I would think about hunting and fishing, girls, etc. to keep my mind off the boredom.

I got a job in sales and was very fearful and had lots of anxiety. I was shy and afraid of rejection. But, I stuck to the script and followed the rules for objection, confidence and such and focused on the job. After a few weeks the fear subsided, my confidence grew and I didn't have to worry so much. If it ever came back I would just re-focus on the task at hand and put fear and anxiety on the backburner. Eventually it would subside and I'd be back to business as usual. Same goes for asking out girls, walking alone in the dark, etc. Just because you're afraid or have anxiety you still have to move forward, accept rejection or failure and move on.

If you go into it thinking you can't control the thoughts then you most likely won't be able to. You set yourself up for failure.
    Last edited by rwc1969; 01-09-2010 at 01:49 PM.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can say that I've never been hunkered down in an ice-cave and deep south, the notion never crossed my mind. Boredome is one affliction I think would not be a big deal down here.. even if it's cold theres something to be done.

Loneliness and Isolation?? thats something I've gotta think about real hard. I think it would be one of the few things that really would get to me in a bug out/ survival situation. It's kinda why I like to carry my books rather than gadgets. Keep your mind distracted from being so isolated.
    I carry a balloon with a face drawn on rather than a soccer ball to save pack space, and when we're done talking I can let all the "hot air" out of that big-headed ballon man. He's always talking smack and sometimes I really just wanna Kick him in the teeth. Who does he think he is anyway talking to me like that??
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Well I don't get bored, can always find something to do. I'm an only child and I hunted lots alone. I still prefer it. Don't take much to amuse me and worked alone on troubles by myself for years out in the boonies. I had many nights snowed in powering equipment out in the hills of WV, if you know the area of Ansted, Rainell and to the Greenbrair Hotel. It bothers me more to be confined in the house with plenty to do and usually end up watching tv and eating myself into a stupor.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

if i go on an extended hike..say for a day, I'll sometimes bring along my PSP. It has lots of music on it along with games and cartoons.

Good post, Sarge and good question.

Personally, I don't get bored very often. If the weather is bad and it's snowing I enjoy watching the snow. Sort of serene. If the weather is clear then watching the stars is pretty cool. Picking out constellations and identifying them is not only time consuming (for me) but a learning experience as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good points Sarge...
    I agree with Poco that staying busy doing something is key... There will always be needs in a survival situation, and working to meet those needs should efficiently pass the time...
    I have found that just sitting still in the woods and becoming completely aware of your surroundings can pass a lot of time, fighting away boredom and making you more aware of your surroundings can greatly increase chances in a survival situation.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

what about hopelessness and doubt? doubt that you will get out of a situation or be found.
    Come share my fire.

Never faced that. Of course, I've never been in a situation that I didn't think I'd get out of, either.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    what about hopelessness and doubt? doubt that you will get out of a situation or be found.
    I have been in a couple of them. Just pi##ed me off, and we "dug down deep" and figured our way out. Sometimes when all else fails, a nasty attitude will get you out, if not at least you go down swinging
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I have started to print out some of the good stuff folks are sharing here for inclusion in my stores. It will provide me with reading material and instructions on doing things that may be of need. Have 4 or 5 books now. I figured that I cant remember how to do everything.

I really dont anticipate having alot of sparetime. I follow the military adage of continual improvement of ones position / location so that should keep me busy and out of the doldrums
    Last edited by Pal334; 08-07-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    I have been in a couple of them. Just pi##ed me off, and we "dug down deep" and figured our way out. Sometimes when all else fails, a nasty attitude will get you out, if not at least you go down swinging
    Yep, you first get scared and then get mad, so mad you will charge hell with an ice cube. Everyone in front is the enemy and the only friends you have feel the same way. It ain't a game and you do anything to walk away happy then the shakes for a few minutes and starts all over again. Hard for some people and they think you're an animal when you do what you must to survive. If that ain't bad enough you're judged by people who are sheep following the Judas goat many miles away to a mindless fate.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

At what point does boredom set in? I believe it's when you're comfortable or complacent. Anything new, even if it's monotonous, will keep your attention. I have an active imagination, so thinking of future plans, past experiences, etc., go a long way to overcoming boredom.

Desperation/Depression? When you get overwhelmed that something seems impossible (like rescue, or getting your work done, whatever), I find the best thing to do is take each step with certainty, and to only worry about one step at a time. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Granted, I've never suffered from debilitating depression, and I hope I never do. But, I find, it can be easy to be overwhelmed.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

If you don't have a volleyball, or cell phone to play with...don't fret. You can always fight off boredom the old fashioned way. Play with yourself! Play mental movies and replay your best sexual encounters in your head...or even better yet. Stay hopeful by planning your future sexual experiences and imagining those scenarioes. Not only does it give you hope, and fight off boredom, it also generates HEAT. Masterbation is the ultimate natural survival strategy!

Hey Sarge
    That is the "Seven Enemies of Survival" which is remembered by using the anagram
    "Be Prepared To Face These Hostile Factors" . Take the first letter of each word for the 7 different enemies.
    Boredom & Lonliness, Pain, Temperature, Fear, Thirst, Hunger, Fatigue
    These are combated by the "Pattern for Staying Alive" which uses the anagram
    "Few Survivors Find Fast Solutions"
    Food & Water, Shelter, Fire, First-aid, Signals
    I know what hunts you.

How can anyone get bored in the bush?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    Stay hopeful by planning your future sexual experiences and imagining those scenarioes. Not only does it give you hope, and fight off boredom, it also generates HEAT. Masterbation is the ultimate natural survival strategy!
    Then what do you do with the other 23 hours and 57 minutes of the day!!!