Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuff to make the basics interesting.

Blog Entries

Default Stuff to make the basics interesting.

WE post had me thinking. What stuff does everyone have to add to their basics to make a meal a bit more appealing?

I have a good range of herbs and spices(better than I thought actually), Stock (bouillon?) cubes though not as many as I should, salt, dried stone fruit(raisins sultanas etc).
    I can list if anyone wants it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Cool Great idea!

Great idea, Winnie! I imagine that all of the experienced hunters on here cannot live on a diet of rabbit by itself for very long without running into "rabbit starvation." Veggies, fat, & other ingredients are needed to offset the vitamin shortages. Why not post your list & see what others may offer?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool And....

BTW, did you know that mice are edible? And I'm not talking about Bobcat, either; check out the movie: "Never Cry Wolf."

I suppose Rick will want to lay in a large supply of Twinkies....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I would be careful of/with mice, they can carry Hantavirus which is fatal for us.

Blog Entries

Default Here we go then

Herbs: Tarragon, Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley, Chervil, Dill, Sage, Oregano.

Whole herb seeds. Fennel, Caraway, Coriander, Mustard, Clove, Cumin, Juniper berries, Star Anise, Black peppercorns, White peppercorns, whole nutmegs green and black cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, black and white poppy seeds.

Ground Spice powders. Coriander, ginger, cumin, turmeric, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, chilli powder,paprika, ready mixed curry powder, garam masala.

In a situation a lot of these herbs and spices have medicinal properties too. and can jazz up homemade pickles.

I also have vegetable and olive oil, buttermilk powder and salt.

That seems to be about all!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Cool Crap....

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    I would be careful of/with mice, they can carry Hantavirus which is fatal for us.
    Ok, so Mickey now gets a "stay of execution"...or at least will be taken off of the menu...for everyone but Bobcat!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

The mice are a supplemental to Bobcat's emergency rations

I need to see how to store plenty, of a southern boys "flavor adder".
    Salt pork!

Pretty much everything taste better, if it's cooked with some salt pork! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Actually eating the cooked meat of a rodent will not expose you to th Hantavirus. Handling it may, but the most likely way you can be infected with it is through inhalation of airborne particulates from the droppings and urine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Actually eating the cooked meat of a rodent will not expose you to th Hantavirus. Handling it may, but the most likely way you can be infected with it is through inhalation of airborne particulates from the droppings and urine.
    Soooo is Bear Grylls aware of this?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

great stuff winnie
    i too store alot of spices probably over a couple of years worth easily, i also have lots of instant coffee powdered cheese,powdered parmsian cheese, powdered french vanilla creamer, hot chocolate powdered eggs, powdered sour cream, and as you listed tons of spices.
    food is fine, but the ability to have it taste normal as usual especially when under stress will work great, why do you think folks call certain foods "comfort" foods.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I have a bunch of spices, powdered milk and eggs, canned cheese and bread. I have hot chocolate mix, tea, and I have semi-sweet chocolate put back.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Soooo is Bear Grylls aware of this?
    Bare is probably immune to it, hantavirus that is, or he's a carrier. Bwaaaaa!

I like a little curry on prokchops or squirrel sometimes. Savory goes good with beans. A little Tarragon w' some frsh spring asparagus spears. Yummy!, sage, rosemary, thyme, ginger, basil, oregano.

there's quite a few others I use too, and sometimes I'll just mix and match.

i have 407 years worth of canadian steak seasoning stashed.
    its great on anything or by itself.
    it provides 5 servings of fruits and vegetables in one teaspoon.
    it makes a great tea.
    its outstanding as a wound dressing or a salad dressing.

it is, IMO, the greatest survival food.

love that stuff.

And, from all appearances, does weird things to you when you sniff it......just sayin'
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

fresh stuff aside, i always keep as large a variety of herbs and spices as i can, and make several blends of curry powders.

i'm particularly fond of dill, basil, mustard seed, mustard greens [dried between seasons], fenel, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, chilies [including roasted then dried, which has great flavor], salt, sugar. essentially the spice rack basics.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

We have quite a large number of spices and such which we use. Many we are growing, some are grown by local folks. Surplus is dried and stored for future need. We also have a number of store bought spices, plus chocolate, powdered cheese, coco, bullion, and some other stuff. We all like to cook, so are always finding new things to try. Most carry over well to our "stored" goods, as we eat out of them quite often. Easier that way to rotate it all and find out what we like.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Blog Entries

I forgot to add cocoa, lots of cocoa and milk powder. There are a couple of things I can't get over here, sour cream powder and powdered cheese. If anyone knows of a supplier other than Survival Acres that sells these items in #2.5 cans please let me know. I know I'd turn Into a lady Ben Gunn if I didn't have the powdered cheese!
    I'll also add that I have a herb garden, which I'm adding to every year. some are culinary, others medicinal. (the girls trashed the apothacary garden I had going last year!)

Edit to add: Honey, maple syrup, golden syrup and black treacle.
    Last edited by Winnie; 01-11-2010 at 07:49 PM.

I like cayenne pepper on meat. Mrs. Dash goes well on vegetables. And I like garlic, fresh, dried, powdered, etc.

I do like Mrs. Dash (the seasoning not the lady).