Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New member, Hello.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSunling View Post
    wareagle69 Thank you, and the pen and paper idea is a great idea, haha I would love to read what people were writing in their 6 or 7th month of seclusion. But yes, you're definitely right, I should start more short-term realistic goals (always been a problem with setting goals to high). Thank you wareagle69.

six months alone on the homestead back in winter of 74'/75' was my longest stretch alone, was up where the Windy Creek meets the Big Susitna River. A man can get awful lonely. I would have been 28 years old that winter.

haha I would love to read what people were writing in their 6 or 7th month of seclusion.
    read Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer, it has some examples.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

young survivalist

hello and welcome to our little slice of . . . slice of. . .someone complete that please. if i could go back to that age and prepare. . . it would be weird bc im thirteen but welcome
    some people like Bear Grylls. others like Les Stroud. well you know what. i like Jerimiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough
    six months alone on the homestead back in winter of 74'/75' was my longest stretch alone, was up where the Windy Creek meets the Big Susitna River.
    That would be a challenge. A long, lonely challenge.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Honestly, If I could go back to 17 I'd probably focus on things other than wilderness living like school and staying out of trouble.

But, I'd also want to learn more about the flora and fauna, rocks, biology, gelology, natural sciences in general. I'd have tried to find out how native and other people of my land lived before modern conveniences came about.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Welcome... you can learn a lot here!
    A goal without a written plan is just a dream.
    See this post, it will help: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=8279
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Honestly, If I could go back to 17 I'd probably focus on things other than wilderness living like school and staying out of trouble.
    I know wanting to go out so young seems drawn beyond the lines of reason, but living in a metropolis your whole life can somewhat whither a young man's intuition. With never being to the mountains or forest not even a lake, I definitely embrace my desires to witness the beauty, and swing on the spiral of the wilderness divinity. I'm reaching out for the random, and just hoping I can still come out a man. Stepping away from monomania trend to fret for your latte or car, materialistic distractions or late local news.

read Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer, it has some examples.
    Will do. Thank you good sir.

TheSunling - the youngest person to do a solo circumnaviation of the globe in a sailboat was 17. He did it with years of training behind him. We all have to start somewhere. I wish you well in your journey.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome to the forum.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I don't think it's beyond the lines of reason at all Sunling. I was just saying, at age 40, what I would do if I could go back to 17. I hope you get the chance to safely experience the wilderness at such a young age.

My goal is to go live in the wild for a full 12 months. I know I still have years of learning, but I look forward to every new piece of information I'll gather.

To start off my first thread I would like to ask you, if you could go back to when you were my age, how would you go on about preparing for this journey? Would you have done anything differently?

Thankful for this site and hope to learn aplenty!
    Welcome and you want to just go Into the Wild?? I think there is a book and movie about that which shows what Not to do!

But when I was a teenager I had little interest in the outdoors or survival. Just wanted to get good grades and keep from getting beat up. Yea I was wimpy back then, wish I could meet some of those bullies today.

And I did at one of my class reunions and they said little to the big guy now with the big beard and they heard that I was an outdoors survivalist etc.. This was about 15 years ago.

Wish I would have gotten started on survival and living outdoors a lot sooner - I was 25 before I got started. People can check my homepage to see what I do and have built over the past 10 plus years "in the Wild"

Welcome and you want to just go Into the Wild??
    My goal is to start my backpacking journey up to Alaska sometime when I'm 19, hopefully..

i would try not to set deadlines for the mastery of skill.

just focus on gaining and practicing them, each as you have the chance.

since there are such a great many places to start, you should start with those closest to hand, which you can begin from the position of greatest safety or comfort; trying new things while hiking, camping, or even hanging out around the house for example.

learn to recognize plants around you. learn to make cordage from common plants. spend time watching animals, to learn to spot and predict their habits.
    Last edited by canid; 01-10-2010 at 07:36 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Hello and welcome.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Welcome Sunling, this forum is a great place to start, imo. Alot of people here,been there, done that.
    Now if I could go back to your age, I'd never gotten married....LOL! Hope you enjoy it here.....Later Ted
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Alright I have a question so I'm just going to put it in this thread since it's not too big of a question and I don't know where else to put it . . and this might sounds REALLY dumb but . . . can you live in the wild, inside of a national park?

The answer is you can....until they find you. Then you might be in trouble and lose all you had with you.

ah...lame...but worth the risk anyways thanks poco.
    Last edited by TheSunling; 01-12-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Alright I have a question so I'm just going to put it in this thread since it's not too big of a question and I don't know where else to put it . . and this might sounds REALLY dumb but . . . can you live in the wild, inside of a national park?

Inside of the National Parks are many tracks of "PRIVATE" Property, you could rent, lease, or buy property with-in the National Parks. However Hunting would be Illegal with-in the park boundary. This why many of us choose to live in the National Forests. If you have your heart set on Park land, you could lease existing mining claims with-in the National Parks.

However if you ever get to Alaska, you will soon realize that is all a parklike wilderness (accept toilet-town Anchorage).