How to Get Into Fly Fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Sparky93
    Sparky93
    For the beginner to get into fly fishing is not expensive and doesn't require a lot of gear, this is basically how I got into it. The first and most important thing you will need is a rod and reel, these can cost anywhere from 20 bucks to over $1000 dollars for the really high end rods. Walmart sells a starter kit made by Shakespeare for something like 20 bucks and comes with everything you need (line, flies, leader, the hole shabang... and it has instructions on how to cast and tie need to know knots), that should be your first purchase.

The next thing you should get if you don't already have it is a good set of needle nose pliers to get those little hooks out of a fishes mouth, it can be a real pain without them especially if the hook is down deep.

Then you will need a fly box too keep your flies in, these are fairly inexpensive. You will also want to get some spare leaders cause for me at least they seem to go fast, especially if you are fishing around trees lol
  2. Sparky93
    Sparky93
    Next you will want a fishing vest to keep your gear on you, they will vary in price but you should be able to find a descent one for no more than 30 bucks. If you plan to fish in streams you will need a set of waders, rubber waders are cheaper but neoprene will last longer and IMO are more comfortable. If the waders don't have boots built in then you will need a pair to keep from tearing up the soles of your waders. You don't have to buy a set of purpose made wader shoes you can also buy a set of cheap tennis shoes a few sizes too big or a pair of cheap water shoes (some people actually prefer these over purpose made wader shoes). Be sure to check your states laws, in some states wader shoes with felt bottoms are illegal to prevent the spread of invasive aquatic plants.
  3. Sparky93
    Sparky93
    After that there are too many nifty tools and gear to list, better rod and real, and fly tying equipment (catching a fish on a lure that you created adds to the fun of it for me at least and is a fun hobby in it's own). Just go with your gut and buy stuff at your leisure.

A tip for learning how to cast, clamp a small split shot fishing weight on your leader without a fly and go out in your back yard if space is adequate enough and practice both distance and accuracy. Also practice not moving your wrist when you cast, keep your rod parallel to your arm and this will improve your casting ability.

Hope this helps anybody that wants to get into this fun and enjoyable hobby.
    Best of luck to you and remember a bad day of fishing is always better than a good day at work...
  4. Sarge47
    Sarge47
    Nice Sparky; just let me add that there is a wealth of "beginner fly fishing" information on the web as well:

http://www.streamsideflyfishing.com/begcor.html

http://www.gorp.com/weekend-guide/tr...ev_057776.html

http://www.hooked-on-flies.com/ (This one has some free e-books on beginning fly fishing as well as going to the next level. Also some great prices on gear.)

Just google "starting out in fly fishing" and you'll get a ton of sites, including videos on You Tube. Enjoy.
  5. Sparky93
    Sparky93
    Another thing you might want to get that is extremely inexpensive is a needle to poke the paint out of the hook eye on poppers. I just keep one stuck in the foam in my fly box in case I need it, I think there are special tools that do the same thing but this is what I use.
  6. tipacanoe
    tipacanoe
    For someone just starting, just remember that price isn't a big driver for performance in many way's. I have $400 rods and $100 rods, and my favorite is my $100. While they are not made for the same fish, it is just a pleasure to handle a light weight, 5 weight rod with a 14 inch brook trout, and you do not need a expensive reel. Most of the time the line will be at your feet when you fight a fish not on the reel, and if you can palm the reel, that will be all the drag you will normally ever need.
  7. Sarge47
    Sarge47
    Sparky, they make a "nippers" with a little "needle point" on the end just for that purpose; I keep one on my "zinger"(small reel) attached to my vest. The nippers work great for cutting and trimming your fly line, leaders, and such.

Tip, I agree with you on the "rod thing," however I still drool over the Orvis Helio!!!
  8. Sarge47
    Sarge47
    Sparky, scroll down on this link and check out "Nippers." You'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.hooked-on-flies.com/vest.htm

Now check this out at Cabela's: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...mc_id%3Dk68563

See what I mean?

pssst! Almost forgot, if you want to keep using the needle but don't have any nippers just pack a pair of nail clippers on your person, they work just as well!
  9. Sarge47
    Sarge47
    Okay, you all know how I feel about Orvis, they're a top-notch company. One of the things that they offer is fly-fishing instructions for the beginner. If you aren't able to actually attend a class they have videos available..and the good news is that it's all free! Check it out!
  10. tipacanoe
    tipacanoe
    Sarge, don't know if you can get the WFN channel where you are, I get it on Dish here, there are video's galore for fly fishing by Orvis and The New Fly Fisher, which is a show out of Canada. I have just ordered a video from their instruction series and will let you know how it is when I get it in the next week or two. I can't wait to get back in my kayak as soon as the doctor clears me, just before the operation my buddy and I got into the brook trout and salmon big time over Memorial Day Weekend.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast