WSF Knifemakers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Ole WV Coot
    Ole WV Coot
    Not in your folks area of craftsmanship but I just make my own and thanks for the invite.
  2. COWBOYSURVIVAL
    COWBOYSURVIVAL
    Thanks for the invite! I didn't fall off of the earth yet...I have been lurking some, just have my mind tied up with other things right now. I am making some headway though and look forward to getting back to the comroderie I enjoyed with you guys. Camp, I still owe you a shipment and I fully intend to do so just that I am so befuzzled I ain't functioning like normal!
  3. pocomoonskyeyes
    pocomoonskyeyes
    Glad you could all make it!! Now we are going public!! I just wanted to make sure we had a good "base" of makers with Experience before opening it up. This is my first post anywhere on my new PC. The old one finally went the way of the other dinosaurs.
  4. klkak
    klkak
    I just finished tempering my latest blade. I'll post a pic in a day or two. One thing I should mention is, I ground the blade a little to thin and when I tempered it the edge warped a little so I'll have to grind it down a bit before putting a handle on it. Make sure you leave a little meat on the edge before tempering so it don't warp or crack.
  5. crashdive123
    crashdive123
    I've got one that I'm working on now from and old band saw blade. Getting all of the warp out of it proved to be a challenge (there's still a very slight one). I heated the spine with a torch and then used a cold water soaked rag to cool it quickly while bending it into shape. As I said - got most of it. Anybody got any tips?
  6. COWBOYSURVIVAL
    COWBOYSURVIVAL
    Crash,

How thick is the bandsaw blade?
  7. panch0
    panch0
    putting three copper 1/2 inch rods on a vise kind of like this:
    o o
    --o

ignore the dashes.
    Then sqeez them to get the warpage out of it. I tried it on some 3/16" A2 once and it helped, but the steel was still annealed.
  8. crashdive123
    crashdive123
    Cowboy - it's 1/8" thick - just uploaded a picture. It's slight, but it's there.

Panch0 - thanks
  9. COWBOYSURVIVAL
    COWBOYSURVIVAL
    Pancho has a great idea if it isn't too springy, if it does spring back after trying that. You might try a hammer on the convex side of the bow slowly displacing metal will cause the side away from the hammer to elongate which will make it straighten. However at .125" thick you may not want to remove the tool marks afterwards.
  10. Camp10
    Camp10
    I use the same method as panchO. I drilled holes in the copper rods and added stainless pins to "hang" them on my vise so I dont need three hands.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast