View RSS Feed

FVR

Tribute to an Archery Legend

Rate this Entry
It all started in Winston Georgia, off I-20 towards Alabama during the first week of bow season 1994. Got in the woods and hung my stand. Typical Frank set up, off a beaten path with the stand only 6 feet off the ground.

I had only been in the stand for an hour or two and here he came. He was a nice 6pt with long tines. And they were still in velvet, a trophy to be had. He walked within 10 feet of me, arrow nocked, release on the string, he turned his head away from me, perfect set up.

I drew, anchored, and looked through the peep site, Oh No! the peep is not lined up, no problem as I can compensate. Oh No! The arrow is on top of the spring rest, no problem as I can compensate. I release, guess I did not compensate as the arrow flew right over his back.

I needed more practice, and a new rest. So I put on a new arrow rest and a new peep site that automatically aligns when you draw on my cam bow.

Here is where the story begins.

I had taken my soon to be wife Caren up to Athens to visit a few art shops. I chose not to go (duh) to the art shops and instead visit an archery shop called Archery Traditions that I had heard about.

I walked into Archery Traditions, opened my case and pulled out this cam bow I'd been shooting for years. I noticed this older gent sitting in a chair, he smiled, I smiled, I did not know who he was.

I shot the range for about an hour. Shoot then adjust sights, shoot some more and tinker some more.

When I was finished, all packed up, this older gent still sitting in the chair asks if I'd ever shot a longbow. I told him I had many years ago but that was then, and this, pointing at the cam bow was now.

He bet me that if I shot his longbow, he would have me hitting inside a pie plate in 15 minutes. I said, okay as my soon to be wife had not arrived yet.

My soon to be wife arrived, LATE! So for 30 minutes I got a one on one private longbow shooting lesson from Dan himself that day. Yes, I was hitting inside the pie plate when I left.

That was the last time I ever shot that cam bow. I traded it a few weeks later for a longbow.

I grew up reading about Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, watching Fred Bear on tv specials. I later realized who Dan was and to this day, I am proud to say, that I got a one on one longbow lesson from Dan Quillian, an archery legend and he converted me.

Thanks Dan.

FVR posted Tradgang upon hearing of Dan's passing.

Submit "Tribute to an Archery Legend" to Digg Submit "Tribute to an Archery Legend" to del.icio.us Submit "Tribute to an Archery Legend" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tribute to an Archery Legend" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great story FVR,Sorry for the loss.