View RSS Feed

Sourdough

The dead Grizzly Bear.......well MAYBE.....?

Rate this Entry
Don't know if Curly Warren is still using that nice Grizzly Photo for his advertising. But an Italian Hunter and I had been storm bound in the bomb shelter for two days when the sky turned blue.

Step out of the tent and stretch and glass a bit. I spotted a porcupine and pointed at it, he thought it was a grizzly bear. I said, No Porcupine. He want to take a photo, and we needed a stretch and as it was mid afternoon we walked over there.

So it was not a porcupine but a nice Grizzly. We were about 45 yards away. I pointed behind my shoulder, and gave the thumbs-up sign. The bear was in a clearing with tall willows on three sides. The bear was broadside, and looking straight at us.

I had my cross hairs in front of the bear as I expected it to run straight ahead if hit. Boom his custom goes off. the Bear disappears from my scope. But I had a faint memory of the bear being sucked straight down to the earth faster than I would have thought a bear could drop. But there it was when I lower the scope in a pile.

An hour of Photos and it is time to go to work. Now I had been moving the bear for photos several times and had not consdered if it was dead. But I wanted to check if the bullet exited so it did not get lost if it was just inside the skin. Well it had not only not exited, it had NOT ENTERED. I jumped back about 12' feet in two jumps. Then very carefully examined every part of that bear, there was NO Hole in that bear, None.

Now I am not the brightest pumpkin in the pumpkin patch. But I figure either the bear is not dead or I am having a bad nightmare. I check the eyes, nothing. Check the nose nothing. Look down the mouth nothing. I stick my little finger down each nostril and one has blood. None was on the face when we did the photo shoot.

There was a stiff wind when he shot, anyway the bullet went right up the nostril perfect center. And did not exit the back of the skull. Very pretty bear.

Submit "The dead Grizzly Bear.......well MAYBE.....?" to Digg Submit "The dead Grizzly Bear.......well MAYBE.....?" to del.icio.us Submit "The dead Grizzly Bear.......well MAYBE.....?" to StumbleUpon Submit "The dead Grizzly Bear.......well MAYBE.....?" to Google

Updated 01-21-2013 at 05:50 PM by Sourdough

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Can't believe you stopped at 12'
    I would have needed to change my shorts :-)
    http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-5743...he-viewer.html
    Updated 02-01-2011 at 06:24 PM by jeffbanke (added image url)