View RSS Feed

Sourdough

Advise to the: "I am moving to Alaska wilderness, and live off the land"

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
After 40 years in Alaska, much of it remote, I give the following advise to those who dream of: Living alone in the wilderness off the land.

Study: Read everything you can find written FIRST Person, by those who did it in 1886 to 1936. Spend one year reading, studying, and get a good magnifying glass with which to study photographs of the period. Make notes, what did they wear, what tools are present, how did they feed the dog team, how many ways too build a cache, etc..

The good news is that much was recorded by survey parties, and Federal Judges, Missionaries, and a few educated prospectors.
It is doable, but the physical pain and suffering, the mental anguish will be beyond anything you can currently comprehend. However the reward, even if you fail, will be beyond anything you can currently comprehend.
The key is to study those who really did it.

Submit "Advise to the: "I am moving to Alaska wilderness, and live off the land"" to Digg Submit "Advise to the: "I am moving to Alaska wilderness, and live off the land"" to del.icio.us Submit "Advise to the: "I am moving to Alaska wilderness, and live off the land"" to StumbleUpon Submit "Advise to the: "I am moving to Alaska wilderness, and live off the land"" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I wish I was moving to Alaska, but at 60 I don't see that happening. Great advice, hope the young listen to you sir, it seems that so many do not take advantage of what people have to share. Please take care as I enjoy what you have to contribute and your sense of humor. Hope you get water out of that well.
    Solid advice... independent living is hard WORK, not to mention the mental demands that isolation puts on you.

Everyone that believes their ready to go running off into the wild, please take note of his advise.