View RSS Feed

crashdive123

Hurricane Information Part I

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
WEATHER TERMS YOU NEED TO KNOW

Weather Conditions

Tropical Disturbance: an area of thunderstorms in the Tropics that maintains its identity for 24 hours or more.

Tropical Depression: a tropical cyclone with maximum sustained surface wind of 38 miles per hour (mph) or less.

Tropical Storm: a tropical cyclone with maximum sustained surface wind ranges between 39 and 73 mph.

Hurricane: a tropical cyclone with maximum sustained surface wind of 74 mph or greater.

Storm Surge: abnormal rises in the sea along shore, resulting primarily from a storm.

Watches and Warnings

Flash Flood Watch: flood conditions are possible, be alert.

Flash Flood Warning: a flash flood has been reported or is likely to occur.

Tropical Storm Watch: tropical storm conditions could exist within 36 hours.

Tropical Storm Warning: tropical storm conditions expected with 24 hours.

Hurricane Watch: hurricane conditions could exist within 36 hours.

Hurricane Warning: hurricane conditions are expected within 24 hours.

TYPES OF HURRICANES

CATEGORY ONE: a hurricane with winds of 74-95 mph that can cause a storm surge of 4-5 feet. Damage is typically limited to shrubbery, trees and poorly anchored signs, small boats and unanchored mobile homes. Some coastal flooding can be expected from a storm this size.

CATEGORY TWO: a hurricane with winds of 96-110 mph that can cause a storm surge of 6-8 feet. Moderate damage to mobile homes, piers, signs and boats may occur. Winds may damage roofs and windows, and rains may cause flooding in low-lying coastal areas.

CATEGORY THREE: a hurricane with winds of 111-130 mph and storm surges of 12-13 feet. Low-lying routes inland can be cut off by rising water 3-5 hours before the hurricane center (the eye) arrives. A hurricane this strength often will uproot trees and cause structural damage to small buildings. Larger buildings may be damaged by waves and floating debris. Unprotected mobile homes and small building near the coastline are at risk of extensive damage. Considerable flooding along the coast should be expected.

CATEGORY FOUR: a hurricane with winds of 131-155 mph. A storm this strength can cause extreme damage to mobile homes, roofs and boats and knocked down trees ad power lines. The approach of a hurricane this strength usually requires evacuation of all low-lying residences within two miles of the shore. Low-lying routes inland can be cut off by rising water 3-5 hours before the hurricane center (the eye) arrives.

CATEGORY FIVE: a hurricane with winds greater than 155 mph. This can cause complete roof failure and catastrophic damage to residences and industrial buildings. Mobile homes and boats will most likely be destroyed. Damage to the lower floors of structures less than 15 feet above sea level within 500 yards of shore is to be expected. Low-lying residential areas within 50 miles of the shoreline may be required.

Submit "Hurricane Information Part I" to Digg Submit "Hurricane Information Part I" to del.icio.us Submit "Hurricane Information Part I" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hurricane Information Part I" to Google

Updated 06-24-2009 at 08:29 AM by crashdive123

Categories
Hurricane Awareness

Comments

Don't forget heat can be a problem too. Detroit had a "heat advisory" yesterday. People were advised to stay where it's cooler and not exert themselves.
    Hide from the wind; run from the water (surge).