View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Snares Continued 1

Deer Stops
    Deer stops are installed on snares to prevent the loop from closing past a minimum diameter. This will prevent the snare from closing around a deer's foot if one of these animals should accidentally encounter the snare.
    Unlike other trapping devices,snares can only be used once. After an animal has been caught in a snare,the cable will be bent and will no longer function properly. But all the mechanical parts may be able to be reused to make more snares.
    How A Snare ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. How to go and live in the northern woods

As this seems to come up every now and then, here's my opinion. There's other ways of doing it, but this is what worked for us.
    This is for people who want to go and live somewhere in the bush (= no road access) longterm, in northern Canada. Not for someone on a quest to survive with a knife, loincloth and tarp.

For anyone who didn't grow up in a rural setting that enabled them to learn such country skills as living without electricity and running water, who is unfamiliar ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Knife Sharpening

Alot of people talk on sharpening knives, I do too. So how do you sharpen a knife? Well this is how I do it. A well sharpened knife can give you and edge in the wilderness.

"Note: All the following were gleaned from the bible of knife sharpening called "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" by John Juranitch published by Warner Books. This book is great to have in your library and I love mine.
    • The specific angle is not as important as keeping a constant angle.
    • When

Updated 08-11-2008 at 08:54 AM by Beo

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Fires of Survival

Build a Fire
    Building a fire is the most important task when dealing with survival in the wilderness. Be sure to build yours in a sandy or rocky area or near a supply of sand and water as to avoid forest fires. The most common mistakes made by those attempting to build a fire are: choosing poor tinder, failing to shield precious matches from the wind and smothering the flames with too large pieces of fuel. The four most important factors when starting a fire are spark - tinder - fuel - oxygen.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Parallel worlds Modern America/Native America

Beyond a Shadow of a doubt Native Americans were/are the best survivalists this Nation has ever seen. I'm not saying that other cultures/countries did not have the equal to them in their respective places. Just that they were the best here in our country. Even Mountain Men learned from them and shared with other mountain Men.
    As a child I dreamed of Indians. I wanted the Cowboys to lose so that their lifestyle could continue. Of course that was TV and everything had already passed on into ...

Updated 08-11-2009 at 12:05 AM by pocomoonskyeyes (spelling correction)

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast