View RSS Feed

Sarge47

Survival Story #1.

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
If you want Survival Stories; here's one.

Exclamation The shocking reality!
Here's the skinny, boys and girls, until you're literally faced with a life or death situation, no one knows for sure what they're gonna do! It's easy to sit inside the safety & comfort of our homes and hit the keys on our computer writing all these words down, or even go out into the woods on our own little solo trips & come home okay...but no one really believes that really bad things can happen to them until it does. The following is quoted from the book "The complete Book of Outdoor Survival" by j. Wayne Fears. This illustrates my point.

"It started out as a typical afternoon squirrel hunt. The three of us were students at Auburn University in Alabama, and we had taken the day off to bag a few squirrels in the nearby Tuskegee National Forest. By the end of the day, two of us sat on the fender of the car, reliving the hunt, squirrel by squirrel. It finally dawned on us that it was a long time past shooting light, and Mike, the third member of the party, had not yet returned to the car. But we didn't worry because Mike was a highly trained and experienced hunter. He was working on his master's degree in forest management and had just recently returned from four years in the Alaskan backcountry.

A half hour passed, it was dark, and still no Mike. I blew the car horn three times. No response. For the next few minutes we blew the horn and shouted, stopping occasionally to listen. We were sure now that Mike was in trouble and began to ask ourselves questions: Had he shot himself accidentally? Could he have had a heart attack? Mike was a believer in hunter safety and was in excellent physical condition, so these possibilities seemed slight. As the reality that Mile was lost sank in, we began an organized search.

It was after midnight when we found him. A wild-looking man broke through a thicket and into the light cast by the searchers' spotlights. It was Mike and he was scared and confused. His clothing was torn to shreds from the waist down, and his legs and arms were bloody from the scratches he had received, The.22 rifle, hunting coat and cap he had taken into the woods with him were gone-where, he did not know. We learned later that his hunting coat contained matches, extra ammunition, a pocketknife, and three squirrels, enough survival gear & food to live comfortably for many days.

Mike needed two weeks to recover fully from his brief but brutal ordeal. He recalled the panic that had struck him at dark when he realized he was lost. He remembered running for long periods of time. He also remembered feeling afraid of the strange people shouting and flashing lights in the woods. Embarrassment, guilt, confusion, and exhaustion only added to his sense of panic and helped cripple his ability to exercise good judgment. Mike, an above-average hunter and outdoorsman, had come face-to-face with a survival situation and had not used his skills.

One of the first reactions to being lost or stranded in the backcountry is fear. It is fear that causes many people to panic soon after realizing they are in a survival situation. It was fear that made Mike run blindly and foolishly discard his equipment."

Remember guys, panic can kill!

Submit "Survival Story #1." to Digg Submit "Survival Story #1." to del.icio.us Submit "Survival Story #1." to StumbleUpon Submit "Survival Story #1." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's a good story to remember if someone was actually in a survival situation. I have a Militart survival feild manual, and it talks about not panic. Actually there's a story that goes with that, but I don't know if I have space to write. This is quoted right from the book. "One pilot downed during WW2, might have saved himself had he been able to stop and think when his parachute caught in a tree and he was-
    - suspended head down, his foot tangled in the webbing. UNfortunately, the pilot's head touched an ant hill and biting ants immediately swarmed over him. In desperation he pulled his gun, and fired five rounds into the webbing holding him fast. WHen he did not succeed in breaking the harness by shooting at it, he placed the last shot in his head" There's no way I could keep my cool at a time like that.