View RSS Feed

Sarge47

Pop Quiz! pt #2.

Rate this Entry
Okay, I just realized that something may not be included in the Forum posts so I'll post something I've been saving for the WIKI:

SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT

I. The Survival Knife.

The 1St thing that every “Survival Enthusiast” needs to understand that there is no “One” knife that fits everybody. We’re all different; our hands fit most comfortably around a certain thickness of handle, for example and we all have different tastes, needs, etc. That being said there are certain things that should remain constant in “knife choice”. Cost, obviously, as the knife needs to be within our price range. Quality, also obviously as a poorly constructed knife, or one made of poor quality steel is of little use in the field. then there's the manufacture; how it’s made, the handle, tang, and type of steel, how it’s heat-treated. Finally, what & how is the knife to be used? Is it for hunting, fishing, chopping? All these things are very important factors and need to be considered..

When I’m asked what I look for in a knife I answer: “3 things; price, no more than $120, and it has to be really good for that amount of money; Quality; a Rockwell Hardness test of between 54 to 58 and a good quality steel; Manufacture; a “full tang” blade. The “tang” of the knife is actually the extension of the blade which should extend all the way back to the end of the handle. So-called “Rambo knives” with their hollow handle do not have this feature and this creates a weakness in the area where the handle attaches to the blade.

I have come up with a short & simple work sheet to help you find the right kind of knife:

Cost: No more than $ .
Blade length (check one): 3-4”, 5”, 7”, Machete.
Brands to consider: Buck; Gerber; Ontario; Cold Steel; Ka-Bar; Kershaw.

There are more brands out there that are very good and very pricey also. A good study of the Wilderness-Survival Sticky on the topic of Survival knives will reveal many more.

Just remember, what others use is not, necessarily, the knife for you. Knives vary in design, weight, heft, blade length, and so on. The knife is a very important tool, and it’s a very serious choice to make. Do your homework 1st, read all the info we have in the forums, then make the right choice.

II. The Survival Kit!

The next question that comes up about as often as the one on knife choice is: “What do I put in a Survival Kit?” Or: “What do you guys put in your Survival Kit?” This is oft-times followed by the “Newby’s" own list; sometimes, I suspect, to impress upon us how “savvy” they are in putting together Survival Kits. In my opinion this is like a “Boot” going into the Marines & trying to impress his “DI” with what a tough “Hombre” he is; not good!

The fact of the matter is that there are countless “Survival Kit” lists and they vary depending upon individual preference, skills, geographic region one will be going into, and so on. The best book on the subject is: “Build The Perfect Survival Kit” by John D. McCann. The following is taught in the very 1st chapter of his book:

“The items in a survival kit should allow you to perform the following functions:
v Build a fire using more than one technique.
v Signal for help using more than one technique.
v Gather & purify drinking water & gather food.
v Navigate back to civilization.
v Construct a shelter in various environments.
v Carry out basic 1st aid.

Your survival kit should be made up of different components(categories) that are selected for specific purposes. These purposes should include the following:

v Fire & Light.

v Signaling.

v Navigation.

v Water & Food Collection.

v Shelter & Personal Protection.

v Medical.

v Knives & Tools.

v Multi-Purpose Items.

I could go on but you really should buy the book, it’s great! For more ideas read the sticky’s!

Submit "Pop Quiz!  pt #2." to Digg Submit "Pop Quiz!  pt #2." to del.icio.us Submit "Pop Quiz!  pt #2." to StumbleUpon Submit "Pop Quiz!  pt #2." to Google

Updated 11-19-2009 at 11:06 PM by Sarge47 (Dementia.)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments