View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. More on Knife Sharpening

Here is the quick easy to sharpen, to me.
    Actually more like basics of knife Sharpening.
    The mistakes that are commonly made in sharpening knives are uncontrolled bevel angles, failure to establish a new edge, and leaving the final bevel too rough.
    Pick an angle to sharpen your knife. If you already know what angle your knife is sharpened at, you probably wish to sharpen at this angle again. If you don't know your angle but wish to, ask the manufacturer of your knife or inquire ...

Updated 08-11-2008 at 09:21 AM by Beo

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Knife Sharpening

Alot of people talk on sharpening knives, I do too. So how do you sharpen a knife? Well this is how I do it. A well sharpened knife can give you and edge in the wilderness.

"Note: All the following were gleaned from the bible of knife sharpening called "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" by John Juranitch published by Warner Books. This book is great to have in your library and I love mine.
    • The specific angle is not as important as keeping a constant angle.
    • When

Updated 08-11-2008 at 08:54 AM by Beo

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Cold Weather Survival

An important but overlooked topic:
    Cold Weather Survival: Most on here do not want to have to be in a cold weather survival situation, or hate the cold. Personally I think the cold can be your friend if you keep some things in mind. But ask the members from Alaska and Canada about this to get advice from pack members in the real cold environments.
    One of the most difficult survival situations is a cold weather scenario. Remember, cold weather is an adversary that can be as dangerous ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Cold Weather Survival Continued 2

A heavy, down-lined sleeping bag is a valuable piece of survival gear in cold weather. Ensure the down remains dry. If wet, it loses a lot of its insulation value. If you do not have a sleeping bag, you can make one out of parachute cloth or similar material and natural dry material, such as leaves, pine needles, or moss. Place the dry material between two layers of the material.
    Other important survival items are a knife; waterproof matches in a waterproof container, preferably
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Cold Weather Survival Cont.

wet socks against your torso (back or chest). Wash your feet and put on dry socks daily.
    Dehydration
    When bundled up in many layers of clothing during cold weather, you may be unaware that you are losing body moisture. Your heavy clothing absorbs the moisture that evaporates in the air. You must drink water to replace this loss of fluid. Your need for water is as great in a cold environment as it is in a warm environment (Chapter 13). One way to tell if you are becoming dehydrated
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast