View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Traps & Trapping

Alot has beeen asked on trapping so here's what I go by. Before any trapper starts trapping, all trappers should be familar with what trap sizes should be used for the fur bearers we intend to catch. For example I wouldnt use a #4 long spring to catch muskrats as it is to large of a trap. Below are some trap size recomedations for some of the common furbearers. If a furbear is not listed I recommend using a trap recommended for a simular sized furbearer. But that's just how I do it when I trap. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Rabbits and Diseases

Everyone on here knows I do trekking, well on a trek I eat rabbit and some have asked how do I know if it has a disease, well
    most rabbit diseases are rare, but there are a few one may worry about on occasion, the one to look for is RHD or Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease, this can make a person anywhere from sick to being fatal, here is what I have learned on the disease, and some pics of what to look for. NOTE these pice may be ugly, nasty looking, graphic or disturbing to some. But this is well ...

Updated 08-18-2008 at 09:22 AM by Beo

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Scorpion oil lamp: The Archaic Smokeless Fire

The aperatus is simple, a shallow pottery bowl,
    a handfull of fine gravel,four stones fashioned to
    look like a scorpion,one or more wicks
    (red belt bracket)and enough oil to fill the bowl.
    Used for cooking,heating,and ligthing,the Scorpion motif is a powerful survival tool.without
    the poisonous smoke of a wood fire,you can
    heat the inside of a snow shelter or tent.Also
    known as a kudlijk(Eskimo oil stove)they were used for tens of centuries for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Trail & Camp Foods

I do a lot and I mean a lot of historical trekking where you only take what they used in the 1750s to 1790s from the colonials of America to the Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton era, what I have found is the foods they ate are just as good today, here are a few recipes in case ya wanna give them a try.

Parched Corn:
    How to Make Parched Corn:
    One of the staples of the early longhunters and native Americans was parched corn. It was said that it could feed a native with nothing ...

Updated 08-12-2008 at 01:54 PM by Beo

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. My Bug Out bag...

This has been a hot topic here for a while and if one should or should'nt have one or really need one, but in the end I think something is needed not for just a BOB but in case something just happens cause ya never know.
    So this past weekend I made my first Bug Out Bag here are my contents. The suggested contents of a BOB vary and I think each person knows what he or she wants and can add or delete items as they adjust to their needs, this is kept in the back of my SUV in an old large A.L.I.C.E. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast