View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Making a Gourd Canteen or Water Bottle

I use a gourd canteen and my son uses a gourd water bottle when out trekking, we make our own so I thought I'd share how I make them for us and friends.
    The type of gourds that were most used for lasting containers were of the type Lagenaria whose white blossoms open towards evening and grow on aggressive vines. They require a long growing season to mature and are extremely cold sensitive. They are mostly light green with sometimes some white mottling, never brightly colored. They have a woody ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Making a gourd canteen or water bottle continued.

With the hole made, you take whatever is necessary to scrape out the seeds and fluff. Spoons work well, just don't damage the opening so the cork will not make a tight seal. Next, get a few handfuls of gravel, the sharper the better ( don't use sand or very fine gravel which could stick inside). Pour them into the gourd and shake for a few minutes then pour out. This may have to be done a few times. This gets the fluff out.
    Now we are ready to make the canteen capable of holding liquid without ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Proenneke vs. McCandless, an observation.

With all the "Bear vs. Les" stuff we had on the site I couldn't help noticing the stories of these two men who followed their dream to live in the wilds of the Alaskan Wilderness. Both Chris McCandless (CM) & Dick Proenneke (DP) set out to actually live their dream, only one made it. The following are my observations and opinions only based on what I've seen & read.

1st, DP, was a realist while CM was a romantic dreamer. DP faced the actual reality of what ...

Updated 04-25-2008 at 11:27 PM by Sarge47 (Corrected spelling.)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wild Boar Hunting

Boar Hunting,
    I love hunting Boar (maybe not as much as FVR but I still love it), the meat is real tasty and to me the hunt is worth the trip.
    The main problem seems to be the majority of hunters are applying deer hunting skills and tactics to hog hunting. It's true that many of those skills will get you a long way and are needed to locate fresh sign and determine the presence of hogs. But at some point those skills must give way to new ones. Skills that are adapted to the ways and life ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Boar Signs

So what should a hunter do to successfully find and take these hard to hunt hogs?
    First of all it's fair to assume that the population of wild hogs in a given hunting area will strongly determine the success of a hunter. In areas with high population or overpopulation the easier it will be to successfully hunt wild hogs. In most any situation hunters can improve their odds on taking a hog by following some simple guidelines. In many cases the first signs of wild hogs are noticed in open fields ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast