Blog Comments

I pulled this out of the pile to contemplate. 59 and still partaking of crappy foods but getting more knowledge of available year round foraging. Buried a dishwasher with galvanized feed can inside. Put inside this seeds in glass jars and plastic green bags.Buried a microwave in an attempt to secure bear and hog proof cache. Inside is a roasting pan taped closed with silver duct tape. After a few years I found the microwave had small holes which let in ants which ate through plastic silver colored duct tape. Dishwasher has not been breached for its seeds in 3 years.
    I will not be bugging out with my newly found lung illness so glad to have had this test. I am short of oxygen and county dr says I am not bad enough yet. Every chemical smell seems to immediatly fill me with phlegm. Thanks for post.
    Not that my composure to a Bear in the camp would have been in any way better. I would like to ask when out and about like you were what habits have you changed? A sidearm? Any Bear repellents, if they make anything like that? Heck of a story, WOW
    What a way to start the morning. I would have needed to add a couple of shots of Jack D. to my coffee after that start of the day. I always enjoy your writings. Thanks Tipacanoe
    great story. think I might have had something to say to my buddy after I cleaned up a second time. :}
    Lance sounds like a couple people I know.. always in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    That bear probably just needed a hug.. hehe.
    Primitive skills leave a similar scar on a person. While I have not lived in the wilderness for any extended period, I do share a similar perspective. The world seems to change around us, but it is not the world that changes, it is us.
    Great post.
    I would have needed to change my shorts :-)
    http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-5743...he-viewer.html
    Updated 02-01-2011 at 06:24 PM by jeffbanke (added image url)
    What does a naked man think when he is 15 feet from a grizzly bear? I would never drink from that lake again. I was fly fishing in a pond here in Maine, had a cow moose with a yearling (maybe 2nd year, good size), when she passed behind me, I could have patted her on her belly if I could have moved.
    Can't believe you stopped at 12'
    Solid advice... independent living is hard WORK, not to mention the mental demands that isolation puts on you.

Everyone that believes their ready to go running off into the wild, please take note of his advise.
    I wish I was moving to Alaska, but at 60 I don't see that happening. Great advice, hope the young listen to you sir, it seems that so many do not take advantage of what people have to share. Please take care as I enjoy what you have to contribute and your sense of humor. Hope you get water out of that well.