Blog Comments

when I have the time I will probably contact you with some ?
    I like your thoughts on tanning Ii have 3 hides in icebox right now I want to learn how to tan
    cool thanks for sharing
    This is exactly what a friend & I have been talking about. He thought that we as a species must be foreign to this world, because we couldn't make it without our gadgets. I started telling him of the wondrous things that can be found all around us. I started looking up different sights to learn more to tell him. He has very little computer access, so this would be difficult for him to do on his own. I had shown my daughter about edible plants since before she was in pre-school. She used to give her pre-school teachers fits by picking & eating stuff at the edge of the playground. I want to learn & pass on as much as I can for as long as I can.
    Me and some buddies hand softened a skin this weekend. The shape was rather odd when dried. It was much less physical than frame softening, and we all had a good time doing the work.
    Hand softening lends an extremely stretchy buckskin. It seems a bit thicker than frame stretched skins, and was a little more difficult to buff by hand. My staker has a grinding wheel on top which helped to buff it.
    I like hand softening as far as the work is concerned, but the end product felt much different. After working it into something, I'll comment on the tactility.
    blogs don't allow enough pictures.

for pictures follow this link:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=9162
    Great post your_comforting_company. Thank you for putting this into words. I remember sitting in the woods when the daylight would first come through the trees waiting for the squirrels to start barking or listening to the hounds tree till I got to them. As soon as I grew up I left that behind for the excitement of a job and friends to run with. You know progress won't wait for you. Unfortunately that never stopped until my family was raised and I retired. Even though I missed out on so much of that life I left behind I have woke up and I can get some of that life back. I do regret not showing any of that life to my children. They will never know how much nature can give them.
    i loved this!