View RSS Feed

your_comforting_company

1. Stealth, or What I Learned Today

So, This is gonna bounce around a bit. Great day on the first day of rifle season. Spent the whole day out, either waiting in ambush with my high-powered, high-precision, instrument of instant death, or actively working the land as a team "flushing" the hunt.
    First thing this morning, a hawk is chittering out on the riverbank, and flies not too far over head. pretty cool.

Young buck comes into my little area, small one with two spikes. I could tell he was small right ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Muscogulgi culture and primitive skills event

I'm very mad and very disappointed. at 9:30 yesterday morning, I was ready to go to the event. By 2:00, everyone else finally was ready. I couldn't get the wife to take me and drop me off with the kids and just come back later... I don't know why the whole day got wasted and I never got to go back yesterday, but by the time we would've got there we'd have missed the whole thing so we just came home.
    A once-a-year chance for me to learn something from people who grew up on reservations preserving ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Why Tanning?

Theres a short answer, and there's a long answer.

I look at things like this: Pre-settlement natives had no "modern" anything. They did for themselves and their community or they did without. They viewed their tribe as a whole entity consisting of seperate specialized parts. Some were livers, some were toenails, some were eyes. Some hunted, some tanned, some foraged, some gathered firewood, etc.
    Native Americans did a lot with little. This is my goal in life. I want ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. my views on some tanning aspects

I really enjoy brain tanning. To be able to take a wet, greasy, sloppy, hairy mass of flesh and turn it into this fantastic, chamois-soft, sweet-cigar-smelling piece of washable cloth amazes me every time I do it. These views are mine alone and are simply observations made during my experiences.

Comparing Tans:
    buckskin is great but absorbs water like a sponge. soft, lightweight, washable. excellent cool weather wardrobe, and it's sexy as all get-out. It is a very physical ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Field Dressing

I probably should have posted this part first, but oh well. I have come across a few field dressed deer that looked to me like had a lot of extra work in them. I wanted to post up a slightly simpler way that is equally effective and will get you back out on the road so you can get your meat home quicker.

Field Dressing 101
    If it is going to take a while to get your deer home, most people prefer to gut the deer in the field. I personally dont gut them where I kill them, because ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast