Blog Comments

Ok I'm better at this now. 1) you can only survive 3 minutes of panic, 3 minutes of severe bleeding, 3 hours of really hot or cold 3 three days without water, and 3 weeks without food. Something close to that.
    2)Food water shelter fire
    3)My mlitary Feild manual says that you should never drink urine.
    4)Hmmmm 1 to 2 quarts I think.
    5)Well like I said before I can use my magnesium block. I've cut open .22 shells and burn't the powder with a spark from my magnesium. It would work to start a fire (Although I haven't tried it yet) And I've started small fires with a magnifying glass, but never tried it in the woods
    6)Something that can start a fire, something to help you muild a shelter, something to purify water, and something to signal for help.
    7)The most important component of survival is your brain, and cleverness
    8) I have no survival teacher, but I have tons of knives! And my favorite..well actually favortes are my USMC Ka-bar, and my Ka-bar Kukri. Favorite Tv show is Prison Break.
    Well I did a heck of a lot better this time, then I did last time. And incase someone is thinking it, I didn't cheat off others answers.
    - suspended head down, his foot tangled in the webbing. UNfortunately, the pilot's head touched an ant hill and biting ants immediately swarmed over him. In desperation he pulled his gun, and fired five rounds into the webbing holding him fast. WHen he did not succeed in breaking the harness by shooting at it, he placed the last shot in his head" There's no way I could keep my cool at a time like that.
    That's a good story to remember if someone was actually in a survival situation. I have a Militart survival feild manual, and it talks about not panic. Actually there's a story that goes with that, but I don't know if I have space to write. This is quoted right from the book. "One pilot downed during WW2, might have saved himself had he been able to stop and think when his parachute caught in a tree and he was-
    Wow! That's one of the most amazing thing's I've ever heard of. God has a plan for that guy!
    1, 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food more or less

2.shelter,water fire food

3.as said above after its distilled

4.2-4 quarts depending on season

5.magnifying glass. flint and steel, drill method

6.at its simplest fire, navigation, first aid

7.knowledge and remaining calm

8. no particular favorite...

favorite sharps Ontario quartermaster, mora triflex
    *claps wildly while nodding enthusiastically*
    1, 3 mins without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, But these are only estimates

2, Shelter, water, fire, food

3, When you have destilled it to extract water, Other wise never.

4, 2 - 4 quarts, Depending on the conditions

5, Conves lens, Friction fire lighting, flint and steel.

6, Fire & Light, Water & Food, Shelter, Firstaid, Signaling, Navigation( Best not to get lost in the first place) Hmmmmmmmm i think thats them, Thats all the categories in my kit

7, Attitude, even people who dont know about survival have lasted out in the wood in bad conditions, Couple that with survival knowledge and youve got yourself off to a good start.

8, Anyone who knows something i dont, or a better way to do it

After trying it, Frosts mora, Cheap for a good quality knife.

The Simpsones
    Updated 04-25-2008 at 06:29 PM by Tony uk
    Oh I just joined less than a week ago. I'm not an expert but I'm not a novice either.
    The rule of 3's some call(and I concur) is better called the rule of 4s and that helps tie it to the 4 Essentials of Surviva.
    You can live 3-4 mintues without air. 3-4 hours without shelter(depending on conditions this can be as little as 1 hour and as much as 2 days.) 3-4 days without water(again depending on conditions) In the extreme of the desert heat exhaustion which is linked to dehydration can kill you in a day. And 3-4 weeks without food. When we call it trhe Rule of 3s or of 4s they are "rules of thumb" ie guidelines. to help us prioritize and think before we act. I am of the school that is is bever ok to drink straight urines but if you are in a dry environ and have set up a solar still urine distilled in it will be safe to drink. I may have the wrong info but I was always told within more or less normal conditions for the seasons 2 - 4 quarts of water are required. In the extremes this would change of course they hotter and dryer the clime the more water will be need. I am a chef and I have drank a gallon of water every two hours in a 127 degree kitchen and never urinate as all the water I drink is sweated out. I have to drink 3 gallons every two hours to stay hydrated and allow my kidneys to purge the toxins they filter. So it depends on conditions. 65 degrees, light activity, slight breeze, and partly cloudy and you can get by with a gallon or less. 90 or hotter and every ten degrees will probably add a quart per hour exposed. Starting a fire without matches requires you to have everything you need to get the fire going and then keep it fueled through the night ready before you ever attempt to start. In cooking we call this mise en place (everything in place) before the start. Once tinder, kindling and larger fuel are gathered I can start a fire with a spark, with friction and with solar energy with a magnifying glass or a soda can bottom that has been polished. Survival kits should have components that help you meet the four essentials to Survival. Air is there unless underwater so you need a component that is usable as shelter or will aid in building one. one that helps male fire, one that help get water and one that helps get food and also there should be a first aid component. The most important component to survival is mental attitude. Referred to in most literature as the Phychology of survival. Keeping calm and thinking yourself through the problems and keeping busy and keeping a positive outlook and establishing plans, and in fact the planning ahead for the possible all stem from the proper mental state. My favorite teacher is experience, my favorite knife is actually three knives all carried in the field at once. A 4 - 7 inch fixed balde all purpose/camp knife, a Swiss Army Farmer model, a multitool and if you want to include it as a knife a fourth an axe or machete. Bith Survivorman and Man vs Wild leave too much out, do things not quite right, take unneccassary risks etc. So I don't have a favorite TV show.
    Let's not forget McCandless's dumbfounded way of going where the wind takes him and dealing with issues as they arrive. I mean, the book told a story of him dreaming of going to Alaska for over, what, 5 years... and during all this time he never does any research. The day before he leaves for the bus, he FINALLY gets a book on edible plants up there. Not to mention he wasn't smart enough to realize the effect of glacial melt on the rivers. And the map thing... wow... he was north of a ranger station, a little further south of that station was another highway, and a little ways downriver he would've found the bucket bridge (some research study remnant, forgot the official name). Tisk tisk.
    I guess it's hard to understand people based on reading about them or watching movies. From reading the book about McCandless, it seemed to me that he was courting danger and burning his money, going with crappy equipment, not bringing a map was his way of finding out how far he could push himself. I don't think his story has much to do with surviving or living in the woods, I think it was more him trying to find out who he was, what made him tick. He paid a high price for it in the end, but I respect him for doing "crazy" stuff like that. Almost everybody chooses the easy option: sticking with the cushy normal life, getting drunk or high with their buddies if life sucks, but never actually daring to go and explore their limits.
    The other guy, Dick, was somebody who did things the "normal" way, the"normal bush way", from what I gather. He was not running away from the person he was, he wanted to make a life out in the wilderness, so of course he acted totally different than McCandless.
    I cant agree more with your closeing comment
    I don't know about the wire saw. I find the wire saws to be inaffective and very breakible. I would go with a pocket chain saw or better yet a folding saw.
    Very well said. Very informative.

Robbie Roberson.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123