View RSS Feed

Sarge47

1. Review of the “RANGER RICK DIGEST;” vols. I-IX.

Summary:
    I would like to see this material up-dated for relevancy to the current military, organized, and printed in a more “reader-friendly” font. If anyone is interested in purchasing these digests, the good news is that US Calvary has knocked the price down from $5.50 per digest to $.88 each! I visited A.R.R.’s Survival website and was amused to see that, like me, he doesn’t think that much of the Ritter survival kits and goes on to explain why: http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com..._kits_tips.htm ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Learning the Basics II: Hiking: Part 3.

Let's look for a moment at equipment for a simple fair weather day hike. In Scouting a newcomer to the troop is called a "Tenderfoot." That term dates back to the frontier days and refers to someone completely new to the wild outdoors at that time. If you are new to all of this, then you are a "Tenderfoot," and hopefully not a "Numpty." A "Numpty" is someone who refuses to learn, thinking they already know everything about the outdoors, survival, rocket ...

Updated 01-03-2012 at 01:26 PM by Sarge47

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Learning the Basics II: Hiking: Part 2.

(Caveat: The following list & information is geared towards traveling on foot in the mid-West during the warm months of the year.)

Even a simple day hike requires much preparation. Rule #1, never leave home without ALL of the equipment, knowledge, and clothing that you will require; remember, this isn't some "half-azzed" game or the latest "extreme sport!" Survival is "Life or Death!" Even a simple day hike can turn deadly if you don't take the proper ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Learning the Basics II: Hiking: Part 1.

I started posting this on a thread on the forum page, however it quickly went way beyond what my original intent, which was to encourage those new to the outdoors to get out & learn to enjoy and love it! So I've deleted the thread & am starting several series of blogs here on Hiking, Camping, & fishing; starting with Hiking. The following post was my 1st post on that thread, more will follow.

Updated 06-10-2011 at 11:25 PM by Sarge47

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Learning the basics, part 6.

VI.YOUR SURVIVAL GEAR.
    If you’ve read the forum at length you’ve had to notice the big interest in survival gear. With all the advances in technology today there is a newer version of essential gear being advertised all the time. Newer steels for knives, fancier electronics in GPS equipment just to name a couple.

This being said there is something about making your own gear. Some members have gotten into knife making, making both hand and bow fire-drill sets, & ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast