View RSS Feed

Beo

1. Proper Pelt Care

Check it out babypops, you went to all the trouble of preparing your traps and then trapping your furbearing animal, and now what. Here are a few things I do and the way I do it.
    Proper Pelt Care
    REMOVAL FROM TRAPS
    Care should be taken when removing animals from traps especially if they are frozen. Simply prying an animal out of a trap may remove portions of fur and damage pelts. If furbearers are completely frozen in traps, it would be wise to take the furbearer still in the trap ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Preparing Traps For Use

Preparing traps is also very important so here's what I do. Others don't use this method but I sell my furs in Friendship Indiana so I take these steps, it helps me hope it helps you.
    Step #1 Cleaning
    The first thing that needs to be done to all your traps is for them to be cleaned . Whether the traps are new or used they need to be cleaned properly before dyeing and waxing.
    Cleaning is accomplished by boiling the traps in water with baking soda. Or for those real nasty traps, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Trap Preparation Continued

Continued from part 1
    Step #3 Waxing
    For this procedure you should use a different clean pot. Save your other pot for boiling and dyeing, but obtain a seperate pot for the waxing process. I wax traps for two reasons. The first is that the wax will protect and seal the trap while it is being used. The wax seals in any odor that may take place while a trap is oxidizing while set. Secodly, the wax also speeds up the closing of the jaws of the trap resulting in, a faster trap and fewer misses.

Updated 08-20-2008 at 10:13 AM by Beo

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Traps & Trapping

Alot has beeen asked on trapping so here's what I go by. Before any trapper starts trapping, all trappers should be familar with what trap sizes should be used for the fur bearers we intend to catch. For example I wouldnt use a #4 long spring to catch muskrats as it is to large of a trap. Below are some trap size recomedations for some of the common furbearers. If a furbear is not listed I recommend using a trap recommended for a simular sized furbearer. But that's just how I do it when I trap. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Rabbits and Diseases

Everyone on here knows I do trekking, well on a trek I eat rabbit and some have asked how do I know if it has a disease, well
    most rabbit diseases are rare, but there are a few one may worry about on occasion, the one to look for is RHD or Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease, this can make a person anywhere from sick to being fatal, here is what I have learned on the disease, and some pics of what to look for. NOTE these pice may be ugly, nasty looking, graphic or disturbing to some. But this is well ...

Updated 08-18-2008 at 09:22 AM by Beo

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast