Blog Comments

great info here
    If you've ever eaten a healthy rabbit, you know that these things do not look normal at all.

Excellent info Beo. You taught me something that could save my life.

Thanks Very Much for posting this.
    The method I use is very much more involved. this is a good overview.
    I would like to add that different woods give different colors, and also that you should use very very dead dry wood, aka punk. Red Cedar gives a nice golden rust color, and laurel oak gives a light brown. These are the ones I like best, though most any wood will work. I would like to hear about more woods and the colors they give.

8'x15' nylon tarp, Two part stove jack on the floor, chimney rolls up in sleep pad (20''), stove parts travel in stove.
    Updated 04-27-2009 at 03:55 PM by chimpac
    I think I have the best minimum heated shelter, all homemade. I will share the patterns. The 2 man centerpole chimney and mounted stove weighs 2lbs. The tarp can be any material 8'x14' or 2 -8'x10'. stove is made form a coffee can,and has an internal baffle to eliminate the need for a spark arrestor,to make the cooking surface hot, to make the stove burn slow and controlled. there is a grate and draft control in the small part of a cone shaped bottm cover, to burn 2 pieces of wood like a blast furnace or burn a full load of wood from the top down like a gassifier. right now for pictures google chimpac and click on alberta outdoorsmen forum click on chimpac to see all posts by chimpac.
    Updated 04-16-2009 at 08:27 PM by chimpac
    Thanks for the info, very useful.
    Good information above.

insect bites can be avoided when maintaining a proper diet.

I have to disagree with the insect repellant being based on the food you eat. A few lucky people seem to be able to not attract mosquitos. This really doesn't depend on diet, it's just, you either get bit, or you don't.

to stop bleeding, apply ... dried seaweed or sphagnum moss

Applying non-sterile items to an open wound can drastically increase the rate of infection. But if that's all you have, use it and ship the patient to a more advanced facility.

Treat sprains by applying cold to the area for the first 24 hours then once the swelling has subsided, let the sprain sit for a day. Apply heat the following day to aid in the healing process.

The last guidelines I read is apply ice for 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off, for the first 2 hours. After that any internal bleeding should have stopped. Then begin heat after 24 hours.
    Updated 03-12-2009 at 02:07 PM by bulrush
    More here: Dakota Fire Hole
    Information like this is invaluable and I thank you for that.

But the problem I see when information such as this is presented is....how would an inexperienced person know the difference between this and a normal healthy condition?

What I would like to see done more often is direct comparison of abnormal conditions to the healthy state.
    Nice article on being prepared for the deer hunt Beowulf. Good point about preparing for the weakest member, farm crops, maps of unknown areas and making the area known to yourself long before the hunt.

I've gotten up many mornings of a hunt with such questions as "is my knock set right"?, "should I put these silencers on"?, "I'm not sure if my arrows are all straight, can you check them for me" ?, "I think my broadheads need to be sharpened", "where should I sit this morning with this wind?"......in the mean time, I'm still looking at their clothes to see if they'll be warm, I have no idea which way the wind is blowing yet, and I'd like to sharpen my own heads. But, I am patient with these usually younger hunters and I do what they ask of me....the hunt is a very special time for a boy or young man. Others will snap at them for not being prepared and I'll agree that they need to learn this. This is how a young man acts if he is not constantly told to prepare ahead of time.
    Other hunters may have all their gear in meticulous order. They may be wearing the new sweat wicking underwear, using lightning fast compound bows with overdraws, carbon arrows and razor heads. They may be wearing the latest fashions of hunting gear and camouflage (which is usually to noisy), they may have read all the latest articles in all the magazines....and they may even quote them...yet they still will not know what crops were planted in the fields they passed... was the corn still up or was it cut?...are there any acorns this year and if they saw them did they bite them to see if there are empty with worms or full and plump? Have there been tracks crossing the road where they want them to be? What trail from their blind will the wind and their scent cross today? This is how an adult acts when he is unprepared....he buys the tools, he's read the language, but he is still unprepared.
    Then there is the prepared hunter. He may be shooting the newest high tech equipment or the most primitive....it doesn't matter. He may be dim-witted or intelligent....it doesn't matter. He may move easily and instinctively to calculate the wind, the tracks and the food the game eats.....or he may need to force himself to consciously study each detail which he learned from people who held the earth close to their breast for a lifetime....it doesn't matter. He is the prepared one. He is the hunter.
    Like the recipes, Never hade parched corn, But are grits the same thing?