View RSS Feed

Social issues

1. Single mom, 14 kids

Yep, this is about the single mom, Nadia Sulemein, who just had 8 babies. She had 6 eggs implanted. On the Today show she says that it is very unlikely that a single egg will develop, and even less likely that an egg will split. But all 6 developed and 2 split, for a total of 8 babies.

She claims she is not receiving government help but in another interview (on another TV station) she says she is on disability (I assume Social Security disability). She doesn't want to get on welfare, ...

Updated 02-18-2009 at 10:19 AM by bulrush

Categories
    Social issues
  2. Doctors kill more people than guns per year

From this blog:

"Doctors:
    (a) The number of doctors in the US is 700,000
    (b) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000
    (c) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.17

Guns:
    (a) The number of gun owners in the US is 80,000,000
    (b) Accidental gun deaths per year is 1,500
    (c) Accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000019

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than
    Categories
    Social issues
  3. Horrible examples of humanity

Horrible examples of Americans evacuees after Hurricane Gustav in 2008.

http://ernursey.blogspot.com/2008/09...riend-and.html

Worth a read. And I quote below.

Dear Editor,

I am a nurse who has just completed volunteer working approximately 120 hours as the clinic director in a Hurricane Gustav evacuation shelter in Shreveport, Louisiana over the last 7 days. I would love to see someone look at the evacuee situation

Updated 05-19-2009 at 08:30 AM by bulrush

Categories
    Social issues
  4. Medicare enrollments in US

Enrollments range from 9% to 35% (Arkansas). This article talks about it, complete with a map.
    http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/200...3/gvsa1103.htm

No wonder healthcare costs so much for the people who actually pay for it.
    Categories
    Social issues
  5. Improving welfare administration, reducing waste

There is a big advertising campaign going on right now in Michigan about Social Security using debit cards instead of checks. I think this is a good idea. This will prevent issues like the check being lost in the mail, being stolen, or being cashed by roommates (often an inscrupulous adult unemployed child will cash the check for themselves).

Why can't we do this for welfare recipients?

Let's take food stamps. A person's food stamp amount could be sent to an account ...
    Categories
    Social issues
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast