PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a Gun in Your Car at Work

Rick
01-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Recently, Florida and Utah enacted laws that allow gun owners to keep a weapon locked in their car even if your employer doesn't allow it. They deemed the vehicle private property and not within the control of the employer.

Right now, Indiana is going through this same thing. It's a pretty hot topic. I'm hopeful the General Assembly will approve a similar measure.

If your employer tells you that you can not keep a weapon in your car on their parking lot then, in effect, they are preventing you from carrying a weapon while traveling to and from work. For many, that's a long commute in the course of a day.

Personally, I think a weapon should be lawful anywhere the state law says it is. The ONLY restrictions on it should be those listed in the law. I can understand an employer not wanting a weapon on the premises but if you stop weapons, where do you draw the line? Religious stickers on your bumper?

I just thought I would mention this. As I said, it's a bit heated right now in Indiana and thought you all might want to know about it.

Camp10
01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Good luck to you and the rest of your state!! There has been a decent winning streak lately for the 2nd amendment and I hope it continues!

crashdive123
01-07-2010, 07:40 PM
While it did not apply to me (my employer is pretty cool about guns), I was pleased when this law was enacted.

oldsoldier
01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
IMHO what you carry in your vehicle is of no business to your employer as long as it is legal. Drugs, explosives, etc are one thing. They could present a hazard to the health and welfare of others. However a firearm does not. I hope it passes here. The only problem with having a firearm in your vehicle be it at home/work/traveling is you chance having it possibly stolen. I know how that feels. Still waiting to here if I'll get mine returned or if they are going to pay me for it. I guess I'll find out after ourt procedings are over.

Sourdough
01-07-2010, 08:04 PM
While it did not apply to me (my employer is pretty cool about guns)

Duh...!!!!! YOUR Employer is a KILLER...........A Licensed KILLER.........:)

your_comforting_company
01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Hopefully Georgia, being a red-blooded state will follow suit soon. My ex-employer prohibited handguns in vehicles but I carried mine anyway. It's a small town, but I've had bad experiences getting to work early some mornings.. there's a lot of crackheads here apparently that'll steal even rusty crap out of your vehicle..

Ole WV Coot
01-07-2010, 09:59 PM
We had a fenced, gated parking lot and it was a non-issue in WV but a no no in company vehicles.

w

Batch
01-07-2010, 11:43 PM
We have several people who open carry at work. I carry concealed.

It would be very difficult for a company to know you have a firearm unless they searched your vehicle.

Employers can not create criminal laws. So, the most they can do is ask you to leave and if you don't they could get you for armed trespass.

Rick
01-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Or fire you. That would be the really bad down side. I'd hate to see someone lose their livelihood because they chose to leave a weapon inside their locked car. To me, that's just wrong.

nell67
01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
do hope this law passes in Indiana,and no,my employer does not allow guns on the property by employees,but they have no right to search my vehicle,that is something only a LEO has the right to do,I have carried in my car before without an employer knowing,and no one was hurt or killed because I did so.

Sourdough
01-08-2010, 09:34 AM
My boss's (all 17 of them) are OK with firearms at work.:) In fact the Military 6X6 and the Ski-Doo have firearm mounting bracket built-in.

Swamprat1958
01-08-2010, 09:46 AM
My company has no issues with guns in vehicles or anywhere else. No if I just new what a gun was.

canid
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
i wouldn't know if any company i've worked for prohibited guns in vehicles. don't ask, don't tell isn't just for the armed forces.

haha, i crack me up.

hunter63
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
There was a CC bill in Wisconsin that was narrowly defeated.
I had picked up a PPK .380 JIC.
24/7 HVAC service guy in a bad neighborhood, in thw wee hours, thought it was a good idea.
After it was defeated, we were talking about it in the morning coffee and BS session, before heading out.

It was brought up, nobody said much, but as we were heading out the door, the Boss motioned me to follow him out to his truck, (was the lead service guy).

He didn't say anything, but opened the door and his tool bag, and there was .45 Springfield grip staring up at me.

Closed the door and said, "your on your own..........."
'nuff said.

Old GI
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
People that work on or frequent military bases have a problem. That keeps me from even have it in my POV when working or any other time I go on base. The old story, just my luck that I'll get picked for the random search (and have), then big trouble if they find one.

rwc1969
01-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Wow! I'm pretty sure it's 100% illegal here, in Meecheegan, to have a firearm in your vehicle anywhere. Unless you are on your way to or from a repair shop, hunting, shooting range, etc.

If any employer I ever had knew I carried a weapon in my vehicle at work they'd have threw a fit, possibly called the police and I may very well have even more unjustified charges on my record.

If you have a CCW it may be different, but employers would most frown on the idea.

In high school about 25 years ago a kid came to school with a gun rack in the back window of his truck, with a gun in it. He recently moved here from down south and it was considered honky dory there. But, someone saw it in the parking lot and called the cops. The kid was taken away and never came back to that school. ?? No idea what happened to him.

Stony
01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
dont ask, dont tell.
out of sight, out of mind!

canid
01-10-2010, 09:35 AM
rwc: in cali, it must be unloaded, and in a locked case or compartment other than the glove box.

this essentially means a locked gun case, trunk or toolbox.

Batch
01-11-2010, 10:03 PM
do hope this law passes in Indiana,and no,my employer does not allow guns on the property by employees,but they have no right to search my vehicle,that is something only a LEO has the right to do,I have carried in my car before without an employer knowing,and no one was hurt or killed because I did so.

Just as an aside. LEO do not generally have the right to search your vehicle. They need probable cause or a warrant.

When a LEO asks someone if they have any drugs or weapons in their vehicle. They follow that with the question on whether or not you mind if they search. If you answer yes you have given them consent to search.

You certainly have the right to say no. Doing so with tact and respect is the tricky part.

donny h
02-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Recently, Florida and Utah enacted laws that allow gun owners to keep a weapon locked in their car even if your employer doesn't allow it.

Utah is on a roll, they went a step further, it's now legal for any unrestricted person to carry a loaded pistol concealed in their car (not concealed on their person, and no long guns).

tipacanoe
02-14-2010, 11:11 AM
At the shipyard that I work at, if you have a firearm in your vehicle, you will be discharged if it is on company property. There use to be a lot of rifle racks in trucks, but now you don't even see those. I think that the idea if the vehicle gets broken into and the problems that can follow, keep most people from carrying here. On a Sunday in Maine if your are in a no-name township, the firearm must be broken down in at least two pieces and locked or you could be arrested for hunting on a Sunday.

hunter63
02-14-2010, 12:29 PM
It shouldn't amaze me the number of well meaning? laws to "protect" us, from the evil of firearms, but it does.
Seems your "right" comes with an endless number of very creative ways to make life difficult.
Sorta like, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS" or this case BS laws that just chip away at your rights.

I used to be in favor of registration, being a law biding citizen and all, for the common good (Yeah right), but it appears that any possible way of prevention the ownership, or user-ship, is being employed.

All this hasn't seem to slow down the bad guys.

My point is after reading y'all laws and differences in laws from state to state, be sure to stay informed and vote accordingly.

oly
02-14-2010, 01:13 PM
What surprised me is that Hill AFB is selling guns and ammo now.

Batch
02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Talking of long guns and gun racks. Here in Florida having a loaded long gun is not restricted. It just isn't done much anymore because it invites a$$holes to bust out your window and steal you gun.

So, now long guns, like other valuables, are hidden out of site.

standingbear
02-20-2010, 09:55 PM
We should know next week if the Indiana bills pass they have made it so far.:clap: