PDA

View Full Version : Praise report "Mora 2000"

klkak
01-04-2010, 11:27 PM
On the December 26 my trapping partner and I went out on the trap line. On the 29 we were on our way back to Whittier checking the last of the traps.

Just cause I know there are folks on here that just have to know. I was wearing polypro long under ware, rubber knee boots, carhart pants, Columbia hoodie, fleece vest and a life jacket with 4 pockets.

In various pockets and on my belt I had the following

Benchmade pocket knife
Leatherman core
3w led flashlight
ferro rod and steel with 2 waxed cotton balls
Wetterling wildlife hatchet
S&W 629 .44 mag with 240gr JSP's
Mora 2000 knife from "Safe Zone"
Laser flair
coastguard whistle
ACR PLB
small bottle with 3 days of personal medications

Back to the story. I went ashore to check some sets, as I was entering the woods a deer jumped up from the ground about 20 feet in front of me. I nearly jumped out of my skin. I drew the .44 mag as she turned to run. I drew a bead on the back of her head and let a shot go just as she was bounding over a log. The shot caught he just above the tail breaking her hips and pelvis as well as blowing out her aorta. She died within seconds. The best knife I had on me at the time for the task that followed was the Mora 2000. I split her open and dumped her guts out, then without thinking I put the knife under her breastbone and gave a sharp jerk upward. The knife easily cut through the breastbone. This is about the time I realized what it had just done. I examined it closely and found no damage at all. and the blade was still sharp. Needless to say I was surprised, the knives I normally use are built much tougher then any of the Mora's.

Today I used the Mora to skin out the deer and debone it for processing. The knife is still sharp and shows very little signs of wear.

:smash:The next test I am looking forward to is processing a roadkill moose. Moose are notoriously hard on knives.:smash:

As a side note. The temp was 0. The rubberized handle of the Mora 2000 was comfortable to use bare handed which can't be said for many of the materials knife handles are made of.

crashdive123
01-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Nice review, and it sounds like there will be some good eating.

klkak
01-04-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm having fried heart and backstrap tonight.

Sarge47
01-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Ya just gotta love the Mora! :thumbup:

Rick
01-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Uh, QC, Klkak. Don't forget QC.

Stargazer
01-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the report.I am in the need of a fixed blade for my truck bag.Me thinks its time to head over to Safe Zone and place an order.

klkak
01-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the report.I am in the need of a fixed blade for my truck bag. Me thinks its time to head over to Safe Zone and place an order.

Keep in mind this is a light to medium duty knife. It is a good knife within it limits but that can be said of most tools. A person who carries a hatchet or heavy knife would be well served by carrying the Mora 2000 in addition.

As I said before I am looking forward to seeing how the edge holds up to moose hair and hide.

klkak
01-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Uh, QC, Klkak. Don't forget QC.

I am the personification of the new QC department.:cool2:

Rick
01-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Actually, maybe we should nominate you for the department of Standardization and Testing. S&T. That deer meat still needs to go to QC. Send some to me and I'll see that it gets re-packaged and forwarded to them. Just trying to help......buddy.

klkak
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Rick, I'd be honored to run the department of Standardization and Testing.

2D2K, you are a thoughtful guy to go and nominate Ken for such a promotion. Maybe this could be his departments new emblem?:innocent:

owl_girl
01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
BF speak: why not just remove the handle and replace with riveted wood or even cord wrapping? then you have a full tang knife and any stress will go straight to the steel. assuming mora has good steel i dont see why this knife now wouldnt be as tough as any other small knife on the line... do you?

trax
01-20-2010, 02:45 PM
@o_g: he said it was comfortable to use, why would he replace it?

@kevin: nice report partner, let me know on the moose, you're right on about them fellas being kind of hard on knives.

klkak
01-20-2010, 03:01 PM
I'll do that Trax.

klkak
01-25-2010, 02:09 AM
@kevin: nice report partner, let me know on the moose, you're right on about them fellas being kind of hard on knives.

Last Friday night I got the chance to use the Mora 2000 to butcher out a moose. We picked up a young cow off the road that had been hit by a car. I used only the Mora to skin and gut the animal as well as joint the lower legs off and quarter the moose out.

The knife worked very good. Even when the handle was covered with blood it didn't become slippery.

After I washed the knife off I tried it on the hair on my arm. It was still hair cutting sharp. I can't think of anything thats harder on a knife edge then moose hair and this knife took it in stride.

Sourdough
01-25-2010, 07:56 AM
klkak, Well I ordered one based on your report. It should be here in about a week.

klkak
01-25-2010, 10:34 PM
klkak, Well I ordered one based on your report. It should be here in about a week.

I hope it works for you. I think it will.

klkak
01-31-2010, 02:23 AM
What happened to 2D2K's post? Did he delete it because he thought Ken might read it and that idea scared him? inquiring minds what to know!

crashdive123
01-31-2010, 08:39 AM
It seems that he and Ken become confused from time to time and post in the wrong thread. Out of kindness to them (or is it everyone else) - they get moved to the proper thread.

Ken
01-31-2010, 11:16 AM
It seems that he and Ken become confused from time to time and post in the wrong thread. Out of kindness to them (or is it everyone else) - they get moved to the proper thread.

Crash only does this because he really likes 2dumb and me. :)

Right, Crash? :innocent:

crashdive123
01-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Absolutely. That and I get paid to straighten things out.

trax
01-31-2010, 04:07 PM
YO Kev...thanks. People, based on post #17, I'm getting a Mora, I'd recommend anyone with any big game cleaning to do, do the same.

2dumb2kwit
01-31-2010, 05:13 PM
I might have to get one, to see how it does on squirrels.:innocent: LOL

(Hey....we get some pretty mean squirrels, around here!)

rebel
01-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the review. The Mrs. and I just picked up the craftsman and it looks like it'll do the job.

Justin Case
04-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the review :)