PDA

View Full Version : 12ga Turkey Barrel for all-purpose

Mountaintrekker
01-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Hello all,
I've been thinking of getting a Turkey barrel for my Remington 870 that comes along quite frequently while out in the shrubs.
I have a smoothbore 21" barrel with rifle sights, but using it for birdshot doesn't lend itself to it's full survival potential me thinks.
A turkey barrel (I think they are 21" or 23") would allow a compact package for camp defense against bears or moose etc. while allowing a decent pattern with chokes for small game and waterfowl. Packing around a 28" vent rib barrel is a bit much. Any thoughts on this?

rwc1969
01-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I thought a turkey barrel was 28"+ and full, or extra full, choke so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

I would think a modified choke would be an all around good choke, or improved mod. would be better if you can find that anymore.

for defense a short barrel might be best, but for hunting a long barrel is best, especially for flying birds.

If I was intending to shoot shot for hunting I'd want a full length barrel, 28" and either a modified, improved modified or full choke.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Camp10
01-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Remington does make a 21" (or something around that size) turkey barrel but it is full choke. I have never fired a slug through a full choke, I dont know if it is ok or not. If you also intend to use this for protection from bears then you might want to look into that.

hunter63
01-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Most Remington barrels have the Rem choke tubes, simply matter of screwing in what you want.
One of my 870's has a 26" barrel, the other a 24", both Rem choke system.

I hunt turkeys with both, w/xfull for turkey , modified for ducks, cylinder bore for slugs.

I did buy a 18-1/2 breach-er barrel for the Mossberg 500, that doesn't have the screw in chokes.
As far as shooting slugs out of a full choke, been done for a long time, never heard of any problem.
I do know/heard that it's not recommended to shoot large steel shot T,s BB.s etc out of a extra full (xfull) because steel shot doesn't compress as lead does.

Camp10
01-02-2010, 09:49 PM
There is both a 21" and a 23" turkey barrel for the Remington 870 according to their site. It looks like the 21" has the Remchoke but the 23" is a fixed extra full. As far as shooting slugs from them, many of the sites I looked at said it was safe up to full choke but not recommended because you will loose accuracy. http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/education/about_shotgun_slugs.pdf
This site gives some info if you are willing to read down that far.

Mountaintrekker
01-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I plan on using a Remchoke system and only shoot slugs from a Cyl or Imp Cyl choke and keep a MOD or FULL chokes to use for other game. A 21" barrel with the choke system sounds like a winner to me.

hunter63
01-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I plan on using a Remchoke system and only shoot slugs from a Cyl or Imp Cyl choke and keep a MOD or FULL chokes to use for other game. A 21" barrel with the choke system sounds like a winner to me.

Honestly, that's would I would do if I was starting from scratch.

As far as using long barrels for birds and all, don't seem to make much difference, the choke is the most important.

Ted
01-03-2010, 02:56 AM

Exellent choice, I love short barrels. Not sure that you understand that the choke has nothing to do with what your shooting, but the range you are shooting. 30 yds or more you want to use a full or xfull, twenty or less you want to us cyl or improved. The size of the shot has everthing to do with what your shooting.

Rick
01-03-2010, 03:30 AM
That's a good summation, Ted. I don't know nearly as much about guns as many on here but I've toted a shotgun since I was a kid and the two things that were always sacred was choke for distance and shot size for game. Those two I do know. Here's a really great article on the subject.

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tips_strategies/shotgun_062304/

People are often surprised to learn that you can actually miss someone completely at close range if you are using the wrong choke for home defense and your target has some room to move like a family room. A full choke can be a 3 or 4 inch pattern at 10 feet. Hard to miss in a hallway, though.

rwc1969
01-03-2010, 04:02 AM
A longer barrel will most likely give you greater range and power. it also gives you a much better sight pattern.

But, if a short barrel is waht you want I'd go with that.

I wouldn't shoot slugs thru a full or extra full choke because, depending on the gun and slug it can distort the choke and cause uneven patterning of shot. I learned this the hard way.

Mountaintrekker
01-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the reminder on the effect of a choke ;) J/K I've been shooting shotguns for over 25 years now, so I'm familiar. But maybe some of our lurkers or new members could benefit from the knowledge. :)
I guess most of you don't know me or where I live, but this barrel makes sense. If I'm out in the field it gives me a little more flexibility with different rounds, yet stays compact.

It looks like this... I've already put this stock on one of my 870's and it shoots like a dream!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/eschreier/870expshurshotsyntky-prod.jpg

Rick
01-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I wonder if that's the same stuff as Military Grade MG Buck that Olin Corp. puts out for the troops?