PDA

View Full Version : skewer a squirrel?

smittysurvival
01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
ive been bating squirrels into an area with whole kernel corn. dont want to use a gun because it will scare away other squirrels. so my other option in a bow. im a great shot with my compound and i plan on getting at least one. any pointers on getting an arrow through these things?

hunter63
01-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Practice, practice, practice.

smittysurvival
01-01-2010, 08:12 PM
i know i can hit one if it give me time and its not more than 20 yards then i have a chance. i have training tips on my arrow, using a compound, and i have brand new arrows. wondering about the tips, the type of bait, and where i can hide that they wont see me and bolt

hunter63
01-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Be sure of your target and beyond, neighbors get pizzed if y'all stick an arrow in their siding.

Camp10
01-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Squirrels are great practice. They will get well within your 20 yards and even if they spot you they will soon forget if you just hold still for a minute. A practice tip is fine just watch your shot. You could easily stick your prey to a tree limb and loose him and your arrow. Good luck and be safe.

smittysurvival
01-01-2010, 08:31 PM
eh my neighbors have a feild in the area where im shooting. they do have goats tho. not in that feild however

hunter63
01-01-2010, 08:47 PM
eh my neighbors have a feild in the area where im shooting. they do have goats tho. not in that feild however

How young are you?
Are you sure you are shooting legally?

smittysurvival
01-01-2010, 08:50 PM
yes im shooting legally. do any of you know good squirrel bait that willl bring them out in 20 degree winter weather. no snow.and should io scatter the bait or out it in a pile?

rwc1969
01-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Sunflower seeds? and judo points. I've stuck a few, but with broadheads. It's real hard trying to pull a broadhead out of a tree. if you're shooting down low a broadhead or field point might skip too and end up in the neighbors house.

I've never used judo points, but everyone I know that regularly hunts small game with arrows usues them.

smittysurvival
01-01-2010, 11:01 PM
i have permission from my neighbors to go and retrieve arrows. that and im shooting down on to a huuge drop off. whats a judo point? ill mix in some seeds. the corn is supposed to draw them in. scatter or pile?

rwc1969
01-01-2010, 11:09 PM
http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/zwickeyjudopoint.aspx

I was gonna say corn, but some animals, like deer have a hard time digesting it in the winter and it can actually kill them.

smittysurvival
01-01-2010, 11:38 PM
i plan on killing the squirrel anyway. the thing i really need to know is if i should scatter or pile the bait. i know im being impatient but im going out in the morning and dont have alot of time to check on here and wait for replies.

hunter63
01-01-2010, 11:49 PM
So, when you stick this squirrel, what is your plan?
Clean him, cook him, tan the hide?

smittysurvival
01-01-2010, 11:50 PM
eat the meat. tan the hide, see what i can make with the bones

nell67
01-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Squirrels are attracted to any type of seed,birds seed ,peanuts,corn,even coat the bark of a tree with peanut butter (they can't just pick that up and carry it off) and will pretty much ignore you after a while if they know who/where the seed is coming from.

edr730
01-02-2010, 07:56 AM
walnuts brings them in from a great distances. You don't need to use a judo head, but you can. Old broadheads like the MA3 that sharpen easily work fine.

Mertell
01-02-2010, 08:56 AM
You can back off on the heavy artillery for squirrels. They really aint all that big.

Back in my day, I shot a lot of squirrels with flu-flu arrows and blunt tips.

There are a number of small game blunt-type tips out there. Here is a newer version that I personally have not tried, but it certainly is interesting.
Link: http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=5800X

BE SAFE and enjoy.

By the way, urban squirrels taste like sunflower seeds, and rural squirrels taste like acorns....... HHmmmm.

-Mert

Winnie
01-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Well instead of possibly upsetting your neighbours and until you are confident of your skills, why not set some traps? If you've got the squirrels coming to feed at a certain place take note of their inbound and outbound routes and place traps on the trails.

hunter63
01-02-2010, 12:36 PM
i plan on killing the squirrel anyway. the thing i really need to know is if i should scatter or pile the bait. i know im being impatient but im going out in the morning and dont have alot of time to check on here and wait for replies.

I guess I would pile the bait, as it would keep him in pretty much one place, instead of squirreling around all over the place.

As with any hunting, patience is needed, but it sounds like this squirrel is really getting to you?

gryffynklm
01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm thinking panfried in bacon fat with some rosemary, a little sage, salt and pepper and sliced tart apples. A little corn bread with some diced chili peppers a bit of butter and honey on top.

rwc1969
01-02-2010, 02:19 PM
The only reason I mentioned that about the corn is because other non-targeted animals could consume it and it could lead to their long and needless suffering adn most likely death.

But, i don't think it matters whether you pile or spread the bait. the squirrels will find it. It might take a few days for them to find it regardless, but not likely.

I've made some fine sewing needles and a few fish hooks, awls, punches outta the bones.

Hope you get em and eat em up.

Ole WV Coot
01-02-2010, 02:22 PM
I would say use an old fiberglass arrow with an empty 38 case as a head. Bait with birdfood and shoot him in the rear, already skewered. Now where is the champion of RODENT RIGHTS?

hunter63
01-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I would say use an old fiberglass arrow with an empty 38 case as a head. Bait with birdfood and shoot him in the rear, already skewered. Now where is the champion of RODENT RIGHTS?
LOL
I was thinking/waiting for the same thing...guess they aren't as popular as deer, cats dogs, etc.
Reading the black squirrel thread, it would appear that "Looks Matter".

I always thought they looked like a rat cooking on a spit, so my favorite method is to cut them up, bake them with rice, onion soup, and mushroom soup, those canned onion straws and tater tot's on the top.

Then there is squirrel cooked in sauerkraut, with dumplings.

Don't get me wrong, they are tasty, just don't look at them.

smittysurvival
01-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I guess I would pile the bait, as it would keep him in pretty much one place, instead of squirreling around all over the place.

As with any hunting, patience is needed, but it sounds like this squirrel is really getting to you?

heck no. im just looking for a good meal, a nice pelt, and a few needles and other tools from this thing. oh and i plan on boiling with a thing of wild onions and maybe a few mint leaves i bought. it would be nice
:m107: :taz: :death:

and who said to call off the artillery?

:rambo: :rambo: :taz::taz::taz:
:m107: :rambo: :taz::taz::taz:
:rambo: :rambo: :taz::taz::taz:

"this isnt working!!!"

:tank:

:gunsmilie: "boo ya"

Rick
01-02-2010, 08:04 PM
There is little that is better than fried squirrel. Well, fried rabbit.

smittysurvival
01-02-2010, 08:06 PM
i love them rabbits

rwc1969
01-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Mmm, I boiled up that old tough squirrel the other day for two hours in a lil sage till the water dissapeared, added a lil oil and fried it up brown. It was the tastiest squirrel I ever ate, tender too.

smittysurvival
01-02-2010, 08:41 PM
let it soak in red wine and rotisery it over a fire

sautee it with onions, peppers and spices.

make it into jerky.

heck ill do anyrhing

Rick
01-02-2010, 09:14 PM
heck ill do anyrhing

In that case, you need to send it to me. :innocent:

smittysurvival
01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
im ok on that offer

gryffynklm
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
So........... How many did you get? When do we eat??

smittysurvival
01-10-2010, 01:46 PM
well . . . i didnt even see one. ill get them this coming fall and well have ourselves a feast. someone bring the alligator though

gryffynklm
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Thats what I figured, they have slowed down here to. Its cold by you got lots of snow. They are eating osage oranges here in illinois but you don't see many.

smittysurvival
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM
oh yea tons of snow. huge storm just came through. out of school though

Durtyoleman
01-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Peanut butter and victor rat traps work just fine.

D.O.M.