PDA

View Full Version : Levergun/revolver combo

2dumb2kwit
12-31-2009, 06:20 PM
For all of you guys that have said, I'd like to have a levergun and a revolver in the same caliber, but I really like my .30-30 levergun.

Well.......here ya go! A .30-30 revolver!
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=BFR30-30

(I've seen the .45-70 revolver, but the .30-30 is new to me.)

hunter63
12-31-2009, 06:59 PM
I have also seen the 45/70 revolver.... big gun.
Name of this kinda says it all "BFR" Big Freaken revolver?
So if you already have a 30/30, I agree, there you go.
Cool, but not that cool.

Note: local "toy store" (firearm) has had the same 45/70 revolver in and out of their store for a long time.
Some body would buy it, try it out, bring it back and trade it in.....and so on.

Sarge47
12-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Back when Ruger really started advertising their 10/22 they also marketed a 4/44. It was basically the same rifle style as the 10/22 but it was set up to hold 4 .44 Magnum rounds; that way you could pack a .44 Mag. handgun on your hip and have a rifle in a matching caliber. Does anyone here know if they still even make that gun? i don't think it did very well. :cool2:

Rick
12-31-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't know about that model but I know they make the 77/44 in .44 mag.

Sarge47
12-31-2009, 07:18 PM
It was one of their very 1st rifles, check it out!

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ig/Ruger-44-Carbine-Instructions/Ruger-Carbines-1.htm

Camp10
12-31-2009, 07:18 PM
I own a 44 mag Marlin lever but have never heard of a 4/44 Ruger. I might have to hunt one of them up...

2dumb2kwit
12-31-2009, 07:20 PM
I think (Not sure) that they were the deerslayer, and the deerfield. One had a tube magazine, and the other had a mag like a 10/22.

I think they stopped making them a couple of years ago.

2dumb2kwit
12-31-2009, 07:23 PM
It was one of their very 1st rifles, check it out!

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ig/Ruger-44-Carbine-Instructions/Ruger-Carbines-1.htm

(Note: These guns are not to be confused with the newer Model 99/44 Deerfield Carbine, which I consider inferior to the original.)

I think the 99/44, is the one I was thinking about.

pocomoonskyeyes
12-31-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't know but apparently they(Ruger) are releasing something on the 4th. They have a big countdown timer on their site saying 3 days, 13 hours....

Sarge47
12-31-2009, 07:27 PM
There's even a book on the two guns:

http://www.amazon.com/Sturm-Ruger-Rifle-Magnum-Carbine/dp/0873644492

think I'd like the Ruger Mini 14 better, it holds more rounds. :sneaky2:

2dumb2kwit
12-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Note: local "toy store" (firearm) has had the same 45/70 revolver in and out of their store for a long time.
Some body would buy it, try it out, bring it back and trade it in.....and so on.

HaHaHa, I understand. I shoot reduced loads in my S&W .44.(SASS, cowboy loads. 750 fps.) In fact, I sometimes shoot them in my marlin. LOL

Sarge47
12-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Google's got a plethora of info on the old gun!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=ruger+44mag+rifle&revid=797434404&ei=kzM9S9e2KoWUlAfysOybBw&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=broad-revision&cd=8&ved=0CEIQ1QIoBw

:cool2:

2dumb2kwit
12-31-2009, 07:31 PM
think I'd like the Ruger Mini 14 better, it holds more rounds. :sneaky2:

I love my mini-14.........I mean I did......before that tragic canoeing accident......when I lost all of my guns.:innocent:

hunter63
12-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Back when Ruger really started advertising their 10/22 they also marketed a 4/44. It was basically the same rifle style as the 10/22 but it was set up to hold 4 .44 Magnum rounds; that way you could pack a .44 Mag. handgun on your hip and have a rifle in a matching caliber. Does anyone here know if they still even make that gun? i don't think it did very well. :cool2:

Got two of the old style, tube mag, 5 rounds.
Think they were called "Deer Stalker?"
This were big around here in the 70's.
Wife likes it.

They also made a lever action, don't know what it was called, but looked just like the .44 carbine with a lever. Saw one in a toy store once...didn't have the bucks.

My understanding is the the new 77/44 have a detachable mag like the 10/22.
Haven't seem one of them yet either.
I try to stay out of the toy stores, stuff just keeps following me home.

I am still lusting after the Henry "Big Boy" in 44 mag, to go with the .44 Bisley Super Blackhawk.

I think the .44 is plenty big, can't even imagine a second shot with the 30/30 revolver.

Sarge47
12-31-2009, 07:38 PM
I love my mini-14.........I mean I did......before that tragic canoeing accident......when I lost all of my guns.:innocent:
Dang canoes, hit a little "white water" & over they go! You'd think they'd find a way to make 'em more stable. Sasquatch stole all mine & sold 'em to a couple of aliens from a UFO. Saw him do it too...it was shortly after I discovered the mushrooms....:innocent:

2dumb2kwit
12-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Dang canoes, hit a little "white water" & over they go! You'd think they'd find a way to make 'em more stable. Sasquatch stole all mine & sold 'em to a couple of aliens from a UFO. Saw him do it too...it was shortly after I discovered the mushrooms....:innocent:

You know, if you haven't shot a mini, that was made in the last couple of years,(580 model, with the thicker barrel, than the old ones.) you owe it to yourself to try one out.

I came up just short of a 1" group, at 100 yds., with mine.
(1.250" 5 shot group at 100yds, with cheap scope.)

The thing shoots way better than I do.:innocent:

SARKY
12-31-2009, 08:04 PM
I have the older version tube fed, It actually preceedes the 10-22. I prefer the tube fed version to the newer and now discontinued model, because the tube fed version will load and feed the 300grain XTP bullets where as they are too long to fit in the rotary magazine. It is a great gun in that it handles like a .30 carbine but with a lot more power.
I am really a .41 mag kinda guy ( 3 revolvers and 2 Marlin lever guns). That being said, I would really like to see a lever gun chambered in 460 SW. Now that woud be a thumper!

Pal334
12-31-2009, 08:12 PM
2d,, that looks like a wicked combo. Not for the limp wristed I would say :)

rwc1969
12-31-2009, 08:19 PM

I think they quit making it in the eighties. i was gonna get one , but got the 10/22 instead back in the late eighties. I think the original was called the Deerstalker. i thought the .44 was their first rifle offered, and the 10/22 was modeled after it.

pocomoonskyeyes
12-31-2009, 08:25 PM
If you have a Ruger that actually says "Deerstalker" Deerslayer whatever/whichever it is, You may want to hold on to it as it is a collectors item. Apparently they were sued over copyright infringement or some such and had to drop the name.

hunter63
12-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Google's got a plethora of info on the old gun!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=ruger+44mag+rifle&revid=797434404&ei=kzM9S9e2KoWUlAfysOybBw&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=broad-revision&cd=8&ved=0CEIQ1QIoBw

:cool2:
Thanks for the reminder,
Book marked the site that has the disassembly and cleaning, probably need to do this, as both have been sitting around a long time.

I had it marked a while back, 'cause it had pic's, but couldn't find it.
Cool little guns, I can still remember shooting at the range @ 100 yds, slow bullet, so you have a Boom---Wap.

aflineman
01-01-2010, 12:43 AM
I don't know about that model but I know they make the 77/44 in .44 mag.

I want one of those for a new toy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zia1VzdBGQ&feature=channel

I can tell ya, it is about one of the coolest firearms that I have ever shot.
(not me in the video though)

Rick
01-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Yikes! Why would someone flat shoot a pond?! I'll bet those .44s bounced right over the top of that ridge and kept on going.

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Yikes! Why would someone flat shoot a pond?! I'll bet those .44s bounced right over the top of that ridge and kept on going.

The good news, is that .44's drop fast. Maybe they didn't go too far.:innocent:

Sarge47
01-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I love my mini-14.........I mean I did......before that tragic canoeing accident......when I lost all of my guns.:innocent:What was the caliber of the mini 14 before that horrible accident? :innocent:

Ole WV Coot
01-01-2010, 10:06 AM
The good news, is that .44's drop fast. Maybe they didn't go too far.:innocent:

I wouldn't worry about it. I reckon somebody stopped a few of them.:drool:

Pict
01-01-2010, 10:19 AM

I got to fire one of those a few years ago. Very cool, it handled like an M1 carbine but was a real thumper. It loaded like a pump shotgun, just shove rounds into the port on the bottom. I think it suffered from too small of a magazine to be an effective fighting weapon and being a semi can't be used to hunt in states that only allow manual repeaters. It was a very handy gun though.

My revolver / carbine combo is a 2.5 inch Smith Model 19 and a 16.5 inch Rossi 1892, both in .38/.357 magnum. The Rossi won't handle wadcutters or semi-wadcutters but aside from those two I have a wide range of ammo for man or beast. The 130 fmj .38's run through it slick as snot and are great for small game. With Federal 158 sp it is a great close range deer gun. Mac

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 10:21 AM
What was the caliber of the mini 14 before that horrible accident? :innocent:

It's a .223. I have this one.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/models.html

You can get a regular wood stock, no flashhider model, at wal-mart for around $635. (At least you can, around here.)

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I got to fire one of those a few years ago. Very cool, it handled like an M1 carbine but was a real thumper. It loaded like a pump shotgun, just shove rounds into the port on the bottom. I think it suffered from too small of a magazine to be an effective fighting weapon and being a semi can't be used to hunt in states that only allow manual repeaters. It was a very handy gun though.

My revolver / carbine combo is a 2.5 inch Smith Model 19 and a 16.5 inch Rossi 1892, both in .38/.357 magnum. The Rossi won't handle wadcutters or semi-wadcutters but aside from those two I have a wide range of ammo for man or beast. The 130 fmj .38's run through it slick as snot and are great for small game. With Federal 158 sp it is a great close range deer gun. Mac

I have a varity of ammo, for my combo, too.
A while back, I picked up some ammo from Georga arms, at a gunshow. They call them deerslayers or deerstoppers, or something like that. They are .44 mag., 240 gr JHP, loaded to 1,325 fps.

But like I said before......I like lower powered loads, for plinking. LOL

Sarge47
01-01-2010, 10:52 AM
It's a .223. I have this one.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/models.html

You can get a regular wood stock, no flashhider model, at wal-mart for around $635. (At least you can, around here.)Nice! I think, though, that this caliber would be my preference. I hear good things about it! :cool2:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/miniThirty/index.html

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Nice! I think, though, that this caliber would be my preference. I hear good things about it! :cool2:

I don't have anything in that caliber, but I wouldn't mind having a mini-30, and an AK-47.(Probably just a cheap WASR-10)

The problem is.....until the economy starts to come back, and work picks up, it's hard for me to justify spending moneys on more toys. :innocent:

crashdive123
01-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Nice! I think, though, that this caliber would be my preference. I hear good things about it! :cool2:

That's the one I have.

hunter63
01-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I had a Mini-14 in .223.
Got it in a trade.
I have recently swapped it back to the guy I got if from.
I have a buy/swap back program, that what ever it is, I give the guy a chance to buy or swap back the piece before I sell or swap, out right.

Was a 1976 Centennial(?) model.
Shot good, was my 'yote gun.
I always thought it was a little "busy", stuff, levers, sheilds etc seem to be sticking out everywhere.

Problem was that Ruger seems to keep improving their products.
This would be a good thing normally, but the models differ from year/model to year/model, sometimes a lot, so much so that you have to be real carefull on aftermarket add-ons.

So the one I had 1976, didn't have a lot of accessories that fit.
Found out the hard way when I picked up a scope mount for it at a gun show, only to find out that it was for later models.

Then had to pay full price for one that fit, and had a tough time finding one.
(matter of fact I just swapped off the mount that didn't fit, for a couple of roasting chickens to another guy, from another forum)

I like Rugers alot, but be aware that if you buy used, to find out if all the cool stuff you want to add may be a problem.

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Ya know....there's a lot of revolver/levergun combos out there. I've seen most of the common ones. I've even seen, or at least read about the less common ones,(.30-30, .45-70, .410) but I have never seen a revolver to go with my 12 gauge levergun. LOL
(Not that I would want one! LOL):innocent:

Pal334
01-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Ya know....there's a lot of revolver/levergun combos out there. I've seen most of the common ones. I've even seen, or at least read about the less common ones,(.30-30, .45-70, .410) but I have never seen a revolver to go with my 12 gauge levergun. LOL
(Not that I would want one! LOL):innocent:

Is this your lever action? I was looking at it. How do you like it?
http://www.iacshotguns.com/87w.html

aflineman
01-01-2010, 03:42 PM

My thought also, but it was the only video I could find that you could really hear how quiet it was. The one Nox did is more in depth, but he has the audio cranked up so high that Racer's Silent Destroyer seems loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZEH9asb17A

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Is this your lever action? I was looking at it. How do you like it?
http://www.iacshotguns.com/87w.html

That's it.
Most people scratch their head when they see it. LOL That is part of the fun....and yes, it's a fun gun.

Two things to keep in mind, about it.
1. You can't "baby" it. When you cycle it, do it like you mean it.
(If you're to gentle, it sometimes doesn't fully eject the empty.)
(You don't have to kill it, but you can't baby it.)

2.The choke. (It's an up close gun! LOL)
(fixed cyl choke.)

aflineman
01-01-2010, 04:02 PM
That's it.
Most people scratch their head when they see it. LOL That is part of the fun....and yes, it's a fun gun.

Those are nice shotguns. An older neighbor had a set in each gauge that they were made in originally. I had not seen one for years, until one of the Terminator movies came out.

aflineman
01-01-2010, 04:04 PM
For all of you guys that have said, I'd like to have a levergun and a revolver in the same caliber, but I really like my .30-30 levergun.

Well.......here ya go! A .30-30 revolver!
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=BFR30-30

(I've seen the .45-70 revolver, but the .30-30 is new to me.)

One of the folks at the shooting range had one of those. Pretty serious muzzle flash with factory loads. Some Contender low flash loads might be just the ticket for one.

Pal334
01-01-2010, 04:25 PM
That's it.

(fixed cyl choke.)

Sounds good. I want something that is sturdy. How do you rate its reliability, and ease or frequency of cleaning? Being unique is great, but need / want something reliable. Is it picky with ammo?

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Sounds good. I want something that is sturdy. How do you rate its reliability, and ease or frequency of cleaning? Being unique is great, but need / want something reliable. Is it picky with ammo?

I really don't know how to answer that. All I do for cleaning, is flip the lever open, spray everything out with gunscrubber, etc., and run some patches down the barrel. Put a little oil on the moving parts, then wipe it all down, with a little rem oil. I think this pretty much gets what is needed, and I doubt I'd ever take it apart. (You can get to everything, with it open.)

I've seen a few metal flakes, in the moving parts, but I don't know if it's from breaking in, or if it's wearing. I've fired about 300 rounds of federal #8 thru it. (Wal-mart value packs) Other than that , all I've shot is 5 slugs, to see where they hit.

When I got it,(second hand) it would eject the empty and the next loaded round at the same time. I took it to my gunsmith, and it turned out that the guy who had it, must have taken it apart, and didn't put it back together right. My gunsmith put it back together, handed it to me, and it hasn't missed a beat yet.

Rick
01-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Okay, on the lever gun/handgun combo, I've always heard that companies don't make handgun carbines because of the ridged ammo. It's supposed to make feeding from a magazine difficult. Yet, I have two in 9mm and you can find .45s around. Any thoughts on why .357 isn't offered in a semi-auto with something other than a rotary magazine?

aflineman
01-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Okay, on the lever gun/handgun combo, I've always heard that companies don't make handgun carbines because of the ridged ammo. It's supposed to make feeding from a magazine difficult. Yet, I have two in 9mm and you can find .45s around. Any thoughts on why .357 isn't offered in a semi-auto with something other than a rotary magazine?

IIRC, it has to do with the rimmed cartridge. They don't tend to feed right out of a stacked magazine. Coonan had to do quite a bit of engineering to get his auto to work

Rick
01-01-2010, 05:53 PM
So what's the difference between a .357 and a 9mm or .45? They are all rimmed aren't they?

crashdive123
01-01-2010, 05:57 PM
They make em - they're just not all that prevalent. http://www.remtek.com/arms/imi/desert/index.htm I always thought it had something to do with how much the rim of the cartridge protruded (might be showing my ignorance). I also thought that's why the 357 sig was developed.

aflineman
01-01-2010, 05:58 PM
So what's the difference between a .357 and a 9mm or .45? They are all rimmed aren't they?

.357 has a full rim. 9mm and .45 ACP have a recessed auto rim. (The auto rim was designed to specifically to help in feeding and extraction on an autoloader).

Rick
01-01-2010, 05:59 PM
See? Why can't you get that in a carbine? I would think there would be all sorts of interest in it. Maybe I'm wrong.

aflineman
01-01-2010, 06:04 PM
See? Why can't you get that in a carbine? I would think there would be all sorts of interest in it. Maybe I'm wrong.

There are 9mm carbines, .40 carbines, 30 M1 Carbine, and .45 carbines a plenty. Kel-tec, Olympic Arms, Beretta, H&K, High-Point; are some that I can think of off the top of my head.

hunter63
01-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Rim Vs Rimless:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rim_(firearms)

I wondered for a long time till starting fooling with Nagants 7.62 X 54R (for rimmed, not Russian)

I always wondered about "Moon clips", thought they were just a poor man's speed loader, but it seems the they clip into the rimless case to allow rimless to be loaded into revolvers.
Anyway, I always wondered why the weren't many .357 auto's also.
I really like this cartridge.

crashdive123
01-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I just happened to have a .357 (left) and .45 (right) laying around. Seems that it was the only two things the thiefs didn't get. As you can see, the .357 rim sticks out beyond the wall of the cartridge, while the .45 does not.

Camp10
01-01-2010, 06:12 PM
What's the great advantage of a semi-auto rifle anyways? I remeber reading someplace that both a lever and a pump rifle will give you a faster accurate second shot than a semi.

Camp10
01-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I might have to retract my last post...I cant find the article that I was looking for now. I remember reading this in American Hunter a few years back but I cant find it now...rats!

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Hmmmm....I have.....er uhhh.....I mean , I had....a PSL. It's a semi auto, that shoots 7.62x54R (Rimmed). Desert Eagle's come in .357, and .44 mag. (Among others.), so it can be done.......right?

Rick
01-01-2010, 07:29 PM
There are 9mm carbines, .40 carbines, 30 M1 Carbine, and .45 carbines a plenty. Kel-tec, Olympic Arms, Beretta, H&K, High-Point; are some that I can think of off the top of my head.

Agreed, but none in .357. You can find a boat load of lever guns in .357 but no semi carbines. If you can make a .357 in semi pistol and make a lever gun in .357 why couldn't you make a semi carbine in .357?

I'm just trying to understand. I think it would be great to pair up my SP101 in .357/38 with a carbine in .357/38. Although I do like Mac's choice of the Rossi. I've just never been a fan of lever guns.

aflineman
01-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Agreed, but none in .357. You can find a boat load of lever guns in .357 but no semi carbines. If you can make a .357 in semi pistol and make a lever gun in .357 why couldn't you make a semi carbine in .357?

I'm just trying to understand. I think it would be great to pair up my SP101 in .357/38 with a carbine in .357/38. Although I do like Mac's choice of the Rossi. I've just never been a fan of lever guns.

I see what you are asking now.
I know Coonan had a heck of a time making his 1911 style semiauto work well. And they still get rimlock of the cartridge in the stacked magazine really bad. They work, but don't seem to be as reliable or durable as they should be, and I think that is due to the rimmed round. I know Ruger went with the tube feed for some of their .44 carbines, and I think it was due to the same rimlock issue. (The rim of the feeding round jumping behind the rim of the round under it and being wedged where it can't feed). IIRC, this is the single largest issue with a rimmed cartridge.

hunter63
01-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Desert Eagle does apparently still offer the .357:
http://www.deserteaglepro.com/item/164543_Magnum_Research__MR_DESERT_EAGLE_357MAG_6_. aspx
They do also have the .44 mag, also a rimmed case.

But then again if I was to spend that much money, why not get a .50?
If a little does a little good, then a lot will do a lot of good, Right?

It is odd about the carbines.

Pal334
01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I really don't know how to answer that. All I do for cleaning, is flip the lever open, spray everything out with gunscrubber, etc., and run some patches down the barrel. Put a little oil on the moving parts, then wipe it all down, with a little rem oil. I think this pretty much gets what is needed, and I doubt I'd ever take it apart. (You can get to everything, with it open.)

I've seen a few metal flakes, in the moving parts, but I don't know if it's from breaking in, or if it's wearing. I've fired about 300 rounds of federal #8 thru it. (Wal-mart value packs) Other than that , all I've shot is 5 slugs, to see where they hit.

When I got it,(second hand) it would eject the empty and the next loaded round at the same time. I took it to my gunsmith, and it turned out that the guy who had it, must have taken it apart, and didn't put it back together right. My gunsmith put it back together, handed it to me, and it hasn't missed a beat yet.

Last question off topic, then I will behave :innocent:

Do you consider it to be a "real user", example for hunting deer (we are a slug state both shotguns and otherwise), or just a fun novelty?

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 08:48 PM

I've been thinking about your question.
I don't really have any reason not to have faith in this gun, but if I only had one shotgun, to provide for, or protect my family, it would be a Rem 870, or a Mossy 500. Not that I doubt the little levergun, but the other two just have a long track record, that gives me more of a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I guess I trust the levergun, but long term is still an unknown quantity.

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Last question off topic, then I will behave :innocent:

Do you consider it to be a "real user", example for hunting deer (we are a slug state both shotguns and otherwise), or just a fun novelty?

I've shot a few slugs through mine, but only at about 25 or 30 yds.

One thing that I forgot to mention, is that it has no safety. If I were to walk with it, it would be with an empty chamber....so to fire I would first have to rack a shell into it. Sitting in a stand would be fine.

I guess, how it was to be used, would determine if I'd call it a user.

Pal334
01-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Got it, thanks for the input

2dumb2kwit
01-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Got it, thanks for the input

Sorry I wasn't more help. I have nothing bad to say about this gun, but as you can see, I have a hard time recommending something to someone when I don't feel like I have the knowledge to be 100% about it. Especially if it's something that may one day (god forbid) be used to defend a life.

Rick
01-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey Mac - I ran across this and thought you might be interested.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/rossi.htm