PDA

View Full Version : Rarest polar bear

hunter63
12-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Had a thread on bears in the "guns" section, my bad, sorry.
And now I'm thinking this should be in "Chat"?

http://www.scientificblogging.com/fish_feet/rare_grizzly_polar_bear_hybrid_hunted

Anyway was watching this story on the History channel. (Was re-broadcast, but I don't know when it will be on again.)

Guy paid a bunch of money to hunt polar bear in the Northwest Territories.
Has to get a permit from the Inuits, they are allowed to sell some permits every year, (economy?).
(don't jump on me, just relating the story as I understand it).

So this guy buys a permit, hires a guide, the guide tell him to shoot (at 300yds).
He kills it, but when they get up to it, doesn't look right.

Now comes the part I found most interesting, His permit is for a polar bear, only a polar bear.
The authorities were about ready to throw this poor guy (well, not so poor), in the slammer, as this bear was not the standard polar bear.
If you catch this story on the History channel, you would see the unreasonableness of the officials position.

Of course this is a re-creation, so I would imagine that a lot was staged, but my thought was, "Does every official think the same?"
In the end it turned out to be a natural hybrid polar/grizzly, and the guy was allowed to keep it.

SARKY
12-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I saw it, and yes every official thinks the same. What they do is when someone gets hired as an official, they are required to have an operation which removes the brain and everything else leaving only the asshole and there you go, a regulation official.

Rick
12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Wait a minute. I've met more than one of those and they weren't elected to anything.

RangerXanatos
12-29-2009, 03:04 PM
If the bear was only half polar, does that it make it a bi-polar bear?

Rick
12-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Nope. He'd have to be from the North and South Pole to be Bi-Polar.

2dumb2kwit
12-29-2009, 03:20 PM
If the bear was only half polar, does that it make it a bi-polar bear?

Nope. He'd have to be from the North and South Pole to be Bi-Polar.

What if it's a polar bear, that like's grizzly and polar bears???:innocent:

Rick
12-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Then he'd just be weird.

Camp10
12-29-2009, 05:27 PM
I think I had a girl friend that was half grizzly...

2dumb2kwit
12-29-2009, 05:39 PM
I think I had a girl friend that was half grizzly...

Was she bi???:innocent: LOL

Stony
12-29-2009, 06:34 PM
That polar/grizzly story is old news.
Came up last year already, polar and grizzly do mate where their area overlap.

hunter63
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
That polar/grizzly story is old news.
Came up last year already, polar and grizzly do mate where their area overlap.

This was the first time I saw the program on the History.
The link was the best pic I could find.
Old or not, new to me.

NightShade
12-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I saw it, and yes every official thinks the same. What they do is when someone gets hired as an official, they are required to have an operation which removes the brain and everything else leaving only the asshole and there you go, a regulation official.

Well put Sarky!

ClayPick
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I can only imagine the laugh the Inuit get out of some qallunaat paying 50 grand to shoot a polar bear.

Camp10
12-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Was she bi???:innocent: LOL

nope...I was BYE though!! :)...she was a nice girl, I just couldnt afford all the disposable razors!:clap: