PDA

View Full Version : Question about views (the # of views) for Threads vs. Blogs

Sourdough
12-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Administrators, Kings, Chris, Super Mods.

Per log-in how many members or guests view the blogs, so for every 100 people who log-in does 1/10 of 1% view a blog posting......? Does anyone...?

Do people read a forum post by Sarge and say, O'look he has blog postings, I love Sarge, so I need to go direct to his blog posts....?

What I want to know, and I assume you can or could tell from the traffic, "What is the nature of someone who reads the blogs......? Do they go there because they are interested in what a particular forum member has to say......? Do they go there because of the subject title.......? My question is what is the "Nature" of the blog readers.

WarEagle once said he was considering only posting to the blog section. This appeals to me also, but no point in posting if no one is reading.

I don't or have not read the blogs, My nature is hit "Quick Links" then hit "Today's Posts".

I do hope that this is clear........:)

Rick
12-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I am not aware of any metrics reporting in vBulletin. That was never part of the design criteria to my knowledge. Nor am I aware of any hacks that would allow the owner to view data at the level you are asking about. There is certainly software and/or code out there that would provide Chris with information about the site as a whole and even drill into the site a bit. Software like Google Analytics, for example. Still, not at the level you are asking about.

That's my take on it.

crashdive123
12-26-2009, 08:58 AM
As a mod, I do not have a way to tell how much traffic goes to a blog. Maybe Admins do? When viewing "who's on-line" I can see if somebody is currently looking at a blog. As far as why somebody views a blog? I've got no idea. I generally check out all blog entries because we do get spammers there too. I read the five that you posted yesterday because I was interested. Some of the traffic that the blogs receive are through the various search engines, so the title of the blog plays into that - just like the titles of threads do.

Edit: Rick posted while I was typing - so that answers the Admin question.

Sourdough
12-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks, I feared that would be the answer. I have been surprised to go back and find a thread that I started 18 months ago, and discover that it has had say 3,000 views, yet no current posts with-in 16 months. Do you keep track of how many views there are to a individual blog, or to the entire blog section......?

Rick
12-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm not aware of metrics for either one.