PDA

View Full Version : Netflix recommendations?

MCBushbaby
11-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Just signed up for the 14-day free trial so I can watch some of the movies I missed out on all these years. Already have Casablanca, Road to Morroco, A Bridge over the River Kwai, etc. Anyone have any good ol' suggestions? Please no recent movies.

Of course noone has White Dwarf... >_<

MedicineWolf
11-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Tunes of Glory(19600
Major Jock Sinclair has been in this Highland regiment since he joined as a boy piper. During the Second World War, as Second-in-Command, he was made acting Commanding Officer. Now the regiment has returned to Scotland, and a new commanding officer is to be appointed. Jock's own cleverness is pitted against his new CO, his daughter, his girlfriend, and the other officers in the Mess.
Or
Major Jock Sinclair is the Acting Colonel of his regiment in the aftermath of WWII. Expecting to be posted as the permanent CO, he is disillusioned to learn that another officer (one who, unlike himself, did not rise from the ranks). Jock Sinclair begins a social and psychological campaign against the new Colonel, with tragic results for both.
Staring:
Alec Guinness
John Mills
Introducing: Susannah York
Really good ole classic movie.

MedicineWolf
11-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Northwest Passage (1940)
Based on the Kenneth Roberts novel of the same name, this film tells the story of two friends who join Rogers' Rangers, as the legendary elite force engages the enemy during the French and Indian War. The film focuses on their famous raid at Fort St. Francis and their marches before and after the battle.
Or
After being expelled from Harvard for criticising the food there, being jilted by his sweetheart's family, Langdon Towne gets drunk at the tavern and says some disrespectful things about the English in his old colonial hometown in New England, which is overheard and almost puts him in jail. So they decide to leave for the west. When they meet Ranger Major Rogers, he offers them a trip west with his Rangers where Langdon has the chance to paint Indians. But the military expedition against French allied Indians becomes a disaster. They're cut off from supplies, followed by French soldiers and hundreds of miles away from their own lines. An attack on the French Fort St. Francis is unsuccessful, although they achieve their military aim, they don't find food and Langdon is wounded. Almost starved, about 50 survivors of various further fights including Rogers, Langdon and Hunk come to their meeting point with the English troops for resupplying. But there's no sign of the English.
Starring:
Spencer Tracy
Robert Young
Walter Brennan
GREAT OLE CLASSIC MOVIE

zaebra
11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
vincent price's "last man on earth" (the first adaptation of richard matheson's "i am legend").
the quiet earth.
i have lots of other recommendations, but most are relatively new (within 30-ish years).

MCBushbaby
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
vincent price's "last man on earth" (the first adaptation of richard matheson's "i am legend").
the quiet earth.
i have lots of other recommendations, but most are relatively new (within 30-ish years).

Oh, by new I meant after 2000 since I haven't seen anything that sparked my attention.

zaebra
11-12-2007, 05:22 PM
ah. in that case, some good old standbys are in order!

dragonslayer, hawk the slayer (70's D&D fantasy!), green berets, the eagle has landed, outlaw josey wales, pale rider....

what genres do you like?

MCBushbaby
11-12-2007, 05:38 PM
In addition to the recommendations made above, and those in my first post, here's my queue to give you an idea. It's not that I don't like watching the new releases, it's just I can pick them up at blockbuster any time or see them on HBO easier than I can the "good ol' boys".

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5711/43961253ik9.jpg