PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fair trade?

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 12:46 AM
I have a Remington .338 Model 700 I have had for several years. Its got a laminated stock and a really nice gun. I've had several offers over the years on trading it but haven't ever wanted to get rid of it. My brother asked me tonight if I would trade it for his AK-47 and I just wanted to know if its a fair trade. I don't know what brand his is but I know the ammo is considerably cheaper.

I still don't want to get rid of it, but I hardly ever shoot it, I am 5 foot tall and it throws me back about 3 feet every time I do :blushing: He is young and single and can afford the punishing it gives and the cost of the ammo.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any advice.

SARKY
12-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Is he throwing in any ammo to sweeten the deal??

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 01:04 AM
He doesn't have any left but I told him to buy some so I can try it out. I'm so in love with my .338 I am thinking of telling him he needs to add something to sweeten the pot but don't want to sound greedy if its already a fair trade.

Sourdough
12-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Is the 700 a BDL or a ADL or CDL or classic.......?

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 01:46 AM
I don't really know. I didn't see it anywhere on there. How would I know what kind it is?

Sourdough
12-23-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't really know. I didn't see it anywhere on there. How would I know what kind it is?

It will say on the barrel. Does it have a door (Hinged Floorplate) in front of the trigger guard........?

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 02:00 AM
It will say on the barrel. Does it have a door (Hinged Floorplate) in front of the trigger guard........?

Yes it does have a door in front of the trigger. I'm really not seeing any of those letters you mentioned previously. I see .338 Win. Mag and Also Remington Model 700.

Sourdough
12-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Yes it does have a door in front of the trigger. I'm really not seeing any of those letters you mentioned previously. I see .338 Win. Mag and Also Remington Model 700.

OK, well we ruled out ADL which is blind box and Classic which is also blind box. Blind box means the cartridges enter and exit out the top (The magazine box is blind).

That leaves Custom shop or BDL. Odds are 99% that it is BDL. Assuming it is in 95% plus condition, I would value your gun at $495.00 Cash to $575.00 trade value.

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 02:22 AM
OK, well we ruled out ADL which is blind box and Classic which is also blind box. Blind box means the cartridges enter and exit out the top (The magazine box is blind).

That leaves Custom shop or BDL. Odds are 99% that it is BDL. Assuming it is in 95% plus condition, I would value your gun at $495.00 Cash to $575.00 trade value.

what is custom shop?

Sourdough
12-23-2009, 02:27 AM
what is custom shop? Remington Arms has a custom shop. They offer safari grade arms.

If you look real close all over the barrel, both sides it will say "BDL" most likely it will say: "Remington Model 700 BDL" if it was out of the custom shop it will be stamped "CUSTOM SHOP"

Sarge47
12-23-2009, 02:28 AM
How much do you love the gun you have now? Do you love it more than the gun you're gonna get? An Ak-47, while a great "assault gun," is not a great hunting rifle, which it sounds like what you now have. Weigh the plus' & minus' carefully. Analyze your attachment to your present rifle against the rifle you'll have if you trade. Do you feel it's worth it to you? Years back I needed cash quickly so I sold my 20 ga. side by side double-barreled shotgun; been kickin' myself ever since. Just think it out carefully is all I'm sayin'. :cool2:

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Remington Arms has a custom shop. They offer safari grade arms.

If you look real close all over the barrel, both sides it will say "BDL" most likely it will say: "Remington Model 700 BDL" if it was out of the custom shop it will be stamped "CUSTOM SHOP"

Ok, I don't see BDL but I see EO 27 whatever that means, and also a symbol that looks sort of like a hershey kiss:confused1:

How much do you love the gun you have now? Do you love it more than the gun you're gonna get? An Ak-47, while a great "assault gun," is not a great hunting rifle, which it sounds like what you now have. Weigh the plus' & minus' carefully. Analyze your attachment to your present rifle against the rifle you'll have if you trade. Do you feel it's worth it to you? Years back I needed cash quickly so I sold my 20 ga. side by side double-barreled shotgun; been kickin' myself ever since. Just think it out carefully is all I'm sayin'. :cool2:

Sarge, you are always so wise. I absolutely LOVE this gun, you wouldn't believe how many offers I have turned down. I am quite attached to it, which is why I am surprised I am even considering trading it. I think the reason why I am considering it is because I do have another hunting rifle (not near as fancy though) and would like to add an assault type rifle to my inventory. I guess it is going to depend on how I feel after shooting it tomorrow. I like that the ammo is so much cheaper, but don't really know if that will make me like it enough to trade. Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Sourdough
12-23-2009, 02:59 AM
OK, look on the receiver....what does it say.....?

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 03:18 AM
I don't know what the receiver is, but on the other side of it, the side the shells come out, it has a sideways triangle with a T in in and the letters REP in an oval and also a 1 I think.

Sourdough
12-23-2009, 03:25 AM
I don't know what the receiver is, but on the other side of it, the side the shells come out, it has a sideways triangle with a T in in and the letters REP in an oval and also a 1 I think.

Those are "Proof Marks"............The receiver is what the barrel is attached to. On the oppisite side from the Bolt opening......does it say 700 BDL?

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Those are "Proof Marks"............The receiver is what the barrel is attached to. On the oppisite side from the Bolt opening......does it say 700 BDL?

No, just says 700.

Sourdough
12-23-2009, 03:52 AM
No, just says 700.

Does it have sights......? Does it have a Black forend......? (the front of the the stock closest to the front), is it black or laminated.......? Is the laminated stock Brown or gray/grey.....?

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 03:56 AM
Does it have sights......? Does it have a Black forend......? (the front of the the stock closest to the front), is it black or laminated.......? Is the laminated stock Brown or gray/grey.....?

The stock is laminated gray/charcoal color. Pretty.

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 04:37 AM
I have a .375 H&H, Remington 700 BDL, gorgeous grained wood stock, bull barrell, cut to 20" and magnaported that came with the sweetest trigger on any rifle I've ever shot - purchased in the early 70s. Its the only hunting rifle I have "ever" needed in the far north. I wouldn't trade it for two AK-47s. I have absolutely no idea what it is worth to anyone except me.

Sounds like a nice gun, and sometimes sentimental value is worth more anyway.

Camp10
12-23-2009, 06:51 AM
I wouldnt make the trade...that's just me. I have......umm...... had both an AK-47 and several Remingtons and I would get rid of the AK long before I parted with any of my Remingtons. You have a great shooting (I would bet) game getting hunting rifle and all an AK is good for is costing you money in ammo. They attract more attention, so they could be more likely to get stolen, they really arent that great for home protection either. If it was my choice, I would pick up a cheap .22 rifle as a gun to shoot targets with and keep the .338 where it belongs..with you!

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I wouldnt make the trade...that's just me. I have......umm...... had both an AK-47 and several Remingtons and I would get rid of the AK long before I parted with any of my Remingtons. You have a great shooting (I would bet) game getting hunting rifle and all an AK is good for is costing you money in ammo. They attract more attention, so they could be more likely to get stolen, they really arent that great for home protection either. If it was my choice, I would pick up a cheap .22 rifle as a gun to shoot targets with and keep the .338 where it belongs..with you!

Thanks for the advice Camp10. I went to bed last night thinking about it and really don't want to get rid of it even though I don't shoot it very often. Its been a part of me for so long I'm just not ready to get rid of it yet. Good advice about the 22, we have a couple of them around here so I think I will just stick with them.

hunter63
12-23-2009, 12:03 PM
He doesn't have any left but I told him to buy some so I can try it out. I'm so in love with my .338 I am thinking of telling him he needs to add something to sweeten the pot but don't want to sound greedy if its already a fair trade.
IMHO
I think you have already answered your own question.
If you want an AK, buy one, but hang on to the Remington.
I have been sorry a lot of times, don't make the same mistake.

Jendeere
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
IMHO
I think you have already answered your own question.
If you want an AK, buy one, but hang on to the Remington.
I have been sorry a lot of times, don't make the same mistake.

You guys are great, makes me glad I came here asking for advice.

rebel
12-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Don't sell or trade the Remington. Buy something else that you would like. *just my .02*

Ole WV Coot
12-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Back when mags were cut down I traded an old AK for a 12ga Win Defender, which I still have ONLY could make the trade because I had a few 30rd mags. The guy could care less about the condition of the AK but his eyes lit up at the sight of the 30rd mags. I have had a few pass thru my hands, AKs and ain't no way I would trade unless I had a few cases of ammo and mags going into close combat, which I'm not.

Rick
12-24-2009, 03:40 PM
A bit off topic (but what's new) I read an article in American Hunter that the Rooskies are going to start enforcing their patent on the AK.

"Russia, which frustrates many countries by turning a blind eye on its residents who counterfeit music, movies and more, says it will begin defending the patent on it's Kalashnikov rifle. They say the AK-47 is being knocked off by dozens of manufacturers. More than 100 million Kalashnikovs have been produced."

Now's the time to pick one up I guess.

2dumb2kwit
12-24-2009, 04:29 PM
A bit off topic (but what's new) I read an article in American Hunter that the Rooskies are going to start enforcing their patent on the AK.

"Russia, which frustrates many countries by turning a blind eye on its residents who counterfeit music, movies and more, says it will begin defending the patent on it's Kalashnikov rifle. They say the AK-47 is being knocked off by dozens of manufacturers. More than 100 million Kalashnikovs have been produced."

Now's the time to pick one up I guess.

Freudian slip?

Good point, though. If they do it...the price of AK's is gonna go crazy.

Rick
12-24-2009, 04:32 PM
What??????

2dumb2kwit
12-24-2009, 04:37 PM
What??????

Cheater! That's the kind of thing Ken would do. (If he had admin. power.)LOL:innocent:

Rick
12-24-2009, 04:39 PM
:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::tt2:

crashdive123
12-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Looks like Rick is practicing his leave no trace skills, just as with camping. Ain't Admin powers neat.:innocent:

aflineman
12-24-2009, 06:57 PM
AKs are a dime a dozen, and one is normally like the other. A good hunting rifle though, that is something to keep. The AK is a good platform for blasting and reliability, it is not a good hunting rifle.
338 can be reloaded for quite a bit cheaper than you can buy factory rounds. Advantage is they can also be tailored to the rifle and normally make a good shooter a great one.
As much as I do like the AK and most military rifles, I will never again trade a good hunting rifle for one (I learned that lesson the hard way).

oldsoldier
12-25-2009, 01:49 AM
IMHO keep your Remington as said before it's a good hunter and can be used as a long range "shooter". IMO an AK is okay for sprayin' and prayin' but for much else......?