PDA

View Full Version : I gotta get me one of these..........

hunter63
12-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh honey, I gonna be need a 'chopper....Hog season ya know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE

Rick
12-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Okay. A few observations.

1. I gotta get me one of those. Seriously. It would be great to control the population of some neighborhood kids.
2. Those boys are just wicked good. I don't ever want to be on the wrong end of their sights. It's one thing for the pig to be running but the helicopter takes it right into a Mr. Spock game of chess thing.
3. That black and white piggy was kinda cute. They should of let him go.
4. That's more bacon than I may have ever seen.

canid
12-19-2009, 01:45 AM
i know pig populations are hard to control, but i can't ethically support 'copter hunting.

as such; i volunteer to take one of my bows there and git 'er done from the ground instead.

crashdive123
12-19-2009, 07:19 AM
I've only got one question. Why the cammo?

Camp10
12-19-2009, 07:20 AM
i know pig populations are hard to control, but i can't ethically support 'copter hunting.

as such; i volunteer to take one of my bows there and git 'er done from the ground instead.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. Instead of paying for these guys to do it, they could charge a guy like me to take a few (for the freezer) and it would do the same thing. I have an offer if I can get to Texas this coming year that as long as I shoot every coyote I can, I can take any other game animal in season at the time. It would work for these pigs as well, wouldnt it?

Batch
12-19-2009, 09:36 AM

I don't think it was for pattern break up so much as scent cover...:innocent:

hunter63
12-19-2009, 11:55 AM

LOL, I wonder about my SIL and DD, they hunt in box stands, but have to get the latest camo pattern every year?
They could wear a tux and formal dress and you'd never know the difference.

Those boys are good snap shooters.

We got a wild "herd" of feral hogs just down river from us, let go by disgruntled farmers, or so it said.

Do a lot of damage, an is open all year.
Haven't seen any myself yet.

"Oh, Honey, gonna be needing a new hog gun......................."
and a chopper.

hunter63
12-27-2009, 01:35 PM
disturbing video

Agreed, not for everyone.
But in certain parts the hog population is out of control.
Residents that are having damage problems, would disagree with you.
As I am now facing a possible problem as of late, in our area, I look at it as riping out "rats".

This disturbs me......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/hog.jpg

Could be a child, dog, livestock???

erunkiswldrnssurvival
12-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Oh honey, I gonna be need a 'chopper....Hog season ya know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE
Merry Xmas!!!!!

BENESSE
12-27-2009, 05:35 PM
But in certain parts the hog population is out of control.

I know...they're killing all those coons you wanna keep as pets.
1 for the humans in a helicopter with machine guns, 0 for dumb animals running their little hearts off.
Fun for the whole family!

2dumb2kwit
12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I know...they're killing all those coons you wanna keep as pets.
1 for the humans in a helicopter with machine guns, 0 for dumb animals running their little hearts off.
Fun for the whole family!

If your building were over run with rats, would you mind someone killing them?

How about if the rats were destroying your belongings?

How about if they killed your pets, and threatened your family?

Rick
12-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't agree with the method used. I don't have a problem with "thinning the herd". I would like to see the meat given to those that could really use the meat for their family. The gestation period and birth rate for hogs, coupled with the lower mortality rate makes them a REAL problem that is growing and spreading.

BENESSE
12-27-2009, 06:46 PM
If your building were over run with rats, would you mind someone killing them?

How about if the rats were destroying your belongings?

How about if they killed your pets, and threatened your family?

Please 2D, I'm not that D!
As Rick said it's about the way it's done. The method?
Shooting hogs with machine guns from a helicopter is a bit of an overkill, wouldn't you say?
Get your jollies some other way, OK big boy?

rwc1969
12-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I saw this video somewhere else and I too would hope they'd donated the meat to someone in need. Eventhough, they are more then just a nuisance. More like an epidemic and it's coming here too.

We now have open season on Arnold in Michigan.

crashdive123
12-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I only watched the first four minutes of the video. There were no machine guns used. Were they used after the first four minutes?

oly
12-27-2009, 07:18 PM
A lot of hunters in my area, I don't see that problem around here anytime soon.
When I see a coyote in the wild I leave it be as long as the population is under control, If I see one near a farm its dead.
Never looked into a wild pig hunt out of state yet.

Camp10
12-27-2009, 07:24 PM
I only watched the first four minutes of the video. There were no machine guns used. Were they used after the first four minutes?

They used the same gun all the way through.

BENESSE
12-27-2009, 07:40 PM
OK, my bad.
I take everything back!!!
Maybe it wasn't a machine gun. But a helicopter and a full camo was perfectly justified, 'cause those wild hogs could be pretty clever.
If they by some remote chance survived, next thing you know they'll be coming after you and yours.

Camp10
12-27-2009, 07:47 PM
OK, my bad.
I take everything back!!!
Maybe it wasn't a machine gun. But a helicopter and a full camo was perfectly justified, 'cause those wild hogs could be pretty clever.
If they by some remote chance survived, next thing you know they'll be coming after you and yours.

I'm not beating up on you! I am a hunter but this isnt hunting. I still stand by what I posted earlier. These farmers could charge guys like me to hunt these pigs and they will actually make it into a freezer. That said, I am not from a state dealing with these pests and I know from the coyote problem in Maine that I dont loose any sleep shooting them and leaving them where they fall.

Camp10
12-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I'll say it again, I find the video disturbing. Aerial hunts are nothing new where I live. Huge debates since day one and nothing turns the "average" person against hunting more than exposure to such videos. These type of videos do nothing but disgust the average person and I can't see any redeeming value for public display - except to turn the public against such activity and bring them to action.

Agreed!!! Nice post!

BENESSE
12-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I'll say it again, I find the video disturbing as I suspect many people do. Aerial hunts are nothing new where I live. Huge debates since day one and nothing turns the "average" person against hunting more than exposure to such videos. I can't see any redeeming value for public display - unless the desire is to disgust people and bring them to action.

Thank you, you said it better than I did.

hunter63
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
O.K, got me a chopper lined up, already got camo, now I need one one of these.
Yeah I know, They didn't use one in the video, but hey, those boys shoot better than me, better eyes and such...............and y'all brought it up.
This is next!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/Dillon1.jpg

Stony
12-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I am with sjj on this one!

I ask myself why these tow guys have to wear camouflage cloth and use an assault rifle?
A wood master would be more apporpriate, as would civilian cloth.

hunter63
12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Did it ever occur to y'all that I yanking all y'alls chain?

Besides DW says no chopper.............guess I just have to go back to my spear.

2dumb2kwit
12-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Please 2D, I'm not that D!
As Rick said it's about the way it's done. The method?
Shooting hogs with machine guns from a helicopter is a bit of an overkill, wouldn't you say?
Get your jollies some other way, OK big boy?

Well, aren't we quick to judge. If you have read many of my post, you may know that I haven't hunted, in over 20 years. To be honest, I didn't watch much of that video, because I don't like seeing that sort of thing, but I'm adult enough to know that in some places, that type of thing is a necessary evil. I may not like it, but I understand that sometimes unpleasant things have to be done. Not everyone has the luxury of being high and mighty.

It's easy to talk bad about someone, because of what gun they use, or what cloths they wear, without thinking about the "why" part. Sometimes people should think with their head, not their heart.

BENESSE
12-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Sometimes people should think with their head, not their heart.

The problem is when they think with neither.

crashdive123
12-28-2009, 08:30 AM
No misunderstanding of your words sjj. Well said in my opinion.

Swamprat1958
12-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Not to discredit what some of y'all are saying, but feral hog populations are extremely hard to control. I have over 20 years experience dealing with feral hogs and know that once they become established it is virtually impossible to remove them.

Sport hunting has been tried time and again with little to no impact on feral hog populations. The hogs literally cost farmers hundreds of thousands of dollars. They are also devastating to wild game populations (especially Wild Turkeys). With that said the state must have decided that extraordinary measures were needed to reduce or eliminate the hogs in this area.

Rick
12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Swamprat, in your experience is the meat put to use?

hoosierarcher
12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
There is a problem here, If you just kill feral/wild pigs/boars and leave them lay you are just providing a high protien and fat diet to the hogs you miss. This allows those pigs to grow bigger and faster. Further boars that grow up as cannibalistic and predominately meat eaters are reportedly meaner, more aggressive and hunt other pigs, wildlife of all kinds, domestic animals and people.
I further problem is that like most wild animals the pig population is tied to available food, water and land when there are more pigs there is competition for these and fewer stoats are born. Kill a lot of pigs and you cause more to be born in bigger litters.Better to live trap them, castrate the males and kill most if not all of the sows you catch. Yes castrated males will still damage crops and root up fields but they don't breed and they take up space that would be filled with 10 to 15 new births if they died. A further benefit is that castrated boar's meat is better table fare.
However they didn't ask me.

Swamprat1958
12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Swamprat, in your experience is the meat put to use?

Sorry to take so long to get back with you on this Rick, having to work for a living is a bi%^&.

The meat generally goes to waste just like most road killed deer or other game due to an issue in donating game to places like food kitchens, orphanages, etc. The state health departments stopped that practice several years ago. Along the same lines some free food organizations would not accept legally harvested deer due to potential lead poisoning problems. Unfortunately, unscrupulous lawyers and our litigious society have made it next to impossible to harvest feral animals and distribute them where they might be needed.

I do not know for certain in this case, but in most instances the main issue is to remove the hogs, all other considerations take a back seat. It almost comes down to what is best for everything. To prevent loss of crops and unacceptable impacts to the habitat and ground nesting species the hogs must be removed in the most efficient manner.

Rick
12-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks. I appreciate the response. I'm not surprised and as Hoosierarcher pointed out they become food for something even if it's other hogs.

2dumb2kwit
12-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Oops....I assumed that everyone saw this, to the right of the video, and would understand that it was not a hunt just for "sport".:blushing:
(Not that I would call that "sporting".)

This feral hog eradication program is funded by a group of farmers who are taking progressive action to reduce the devastation done to their crops by these animals. Each and every feral hog is estimated to cause $1400 in crop damage during its lifetime. As you can see this data in combination with the extraordinarily high and ever expanding hog population proves to be a very big problem. Through the support of the farmers of Haskell Co. and the efforts of Nueces Helicopters, LLC. the hog population is on its way to a more controllable state as well as a much higher crop yield for the farmers.

2dumb2kwit
12-28-2009, 08:16 PM
BTW, sjj....I think you get points, for finding info on the subject, and for being honest. Give yourself one "attaboy".:clap:

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-28-2009, 08:50 PM
I second that attaboy!

Swamprat1958
12-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Make that three attaboys!

2dumb2kwit
12-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the attaboys folks,

I would not assume that everyone clicked on the info link to the right to get that whole narrative - nor would I assume that everyone saw/read the opening flash narrative in the middle of the screen that said in part, "There is a house bill that is proposed but never went through this year that would have allowed helicopter hunting. Write your State Rep and get that bill passed."

From my perspective, the narrative that goes along with this video, including its dynamic music background and selection of action packed video appears to be a promotion for getting a bill passed to allow for aerial pig hunting.

I guess I am dumb, in assuming that it is for population control, and not just for "sport". If it helps wildlife management I'm for it. If it is for "sport" then I'm not at all for it.

hunter63
12-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, at least we got thru that one.
Lots of stuff going on most people don't know about, and the more exposure these things get, the better it is, IMO.

My intention from the start was meant as a sarcastic comment on this method of "Hunting" (no, I don't consider it hunting either, possibly a necessary evil, definitely not hunting)

Of course, when a few thongs started getting into a knot, I couldn't resist pushing it a tad.
As far as the orginal posted video goes, may not be for everyone, but it does exist, is being done, whether you agree or not, it is a fact.
Over and out.

BENESSE
12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks sjj! The explanation goes a long way in understanding the video.
Note to self: Don't get your blood pressure up before knowing all the facts.

2dumb2kwit
12-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks sjj! The explanation goes a long way in understanding the video.
Note to self: Don't get your blood pressure up before knowing all the facts.

See....you didn't think so, at the time, but my points were valid.....were they not?:innocent:

(It's just that, at the time, we were talking about two different things. LOL)

BENESSE
12-29-2009, 02:48 PM
See....you didn't think so, at the time, but my points were valid.....were they not?:innocent:

(It's just that, at the time, we were talking about two different things. LOL)

Nothing personal 2D, I just need objective evidence if I'm gonna be persuaded to feel differently than I do.
With a few exceptions, I realize there are no absolutes.

Sourdough
12-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Note to self: Don't get your blood pressure up before knowing all the farts.

Ditto......:)

BENESSE
12-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Don't get your blood pressure up before knowing all the farts.
Ditto......:)

Even better!!!!
Although those tend to be more obvious, don't you think?

2dumb2kwit
12-29-2009, 04:30 PM
".....knowing all the farts." - too funny :)

It would be interesting to hear the pros/cons regarding aerial hunting - when the more advanced aliens arrive and determine that humans have over populated and are depleting resources :)

What about Zombies???:innocent:

Durtyoleman
03-22-2010, 10:37 AM
What about Zombies???:innocent:

The problem with hunting zombies in the Tampa area is that it is hard to differentiate between them and the crackheads, and if you go around shootin' rockheads then the judges have noone to turn loose thus cutting their hours...The police have less robberies, break ins, and murders to solve...thus cutting their hours and we have a financial catastrophy in the local legal system.
D.O.M.

rebel
03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
The problem with hunting zombies in the Tampa area is that it is hard to differentiate between them and the crackheads, and if you go around shootin' rockheads then the judges have noone to turn loose thus cutting their hours...The police have less robberies, break ins, and murders to solve...thus cutting their hours and we have a financial catastrophy in the local legal system.
D.O.M.

That's probably the same reason it wouldn't work for border patrol.