PDA

View Full Version : From Smok about Smok

Smok
11-10-2007, 03:17 AM
I thought I should explain why I was so upset and was going to quit the site you see I'm Half "Sauk" I am a Native American . And I'm very proud of it.

LadyTrapper
11-10-2007, 06:00 AM
I thought I should explain why I was so upset and was going to quit the site you see I'm Half "Sauk" I am a Native American . And I'm very proud of it.

...and as well you should be!:D

dilligaf2u2
11-10-2007, 07:56 AM
OK I am not the smartest thing out there! SO What is a Sauk? I mean if you have pink and purple spots covering your body and can not form a coherent sentence. I might have a problem! My Great Grand Mother on my Dads side was Pontiac Indian. My Mothers Dad was German and Her Mother was Jewish!

Now if the spots are floresent green and puce I could understand! I just do not like people with pink and purple spots!

Dilli

FVR
11-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Sauk aka Sac Indians or Native Americans.

Believe they spoke Alongquin and lived in the North East US. Also lived up in Canada. They along with the Waponaog were the first Native Americans wiped out by the Europeans.

WildGoth
11-10-2007, 11:33 AM
so confused wht is going on

FVR
11-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Don't think any of us know what Smok is speaking of.

HOP
11-10-2007, 12:19 PM
I am an EARTHLING and like all other of Gods creatures am proud of it. If evolution theury is right we all fell out of the same tree and if the Bible is correct perhaps God made that happen and regardless we are equal, the way we carry ourselfs (walk the walk) is much more important than what can come out of our mouths what we do can make us wise and what we don't do can make us even wiser . Make your own tracks and be proud of them.
I am not sure what SMOK is revering to but I go thru life trying the best that I can to be hounorable and aplogize to no one for my religious, political or social views , I don't hit anyone in the head with them and a firm beleiver in saying what is on my mind if it is needed but Ialso beleive we have to make our own mistakes to gain experence.

Smok
11-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Thank you all your Great ... O and for more on Sauk look up Chief Black Hawk

ISHKO
11-10-2007, 07:22 PM
The Sauk (Sac) Nation called themselves Saukenuk,I'm not sure of the original meaning.They lived in the Saginaw Bay area of Michigan until forced from there by the Beaver Wars of the late 1600's.They are an Algonqian-speaking people,culturally and linguisticly related to the Chippewa (Ojibwa) and other Great Lakes area tribes.A great resource for anyone interested is Native-languages.org.

Sarge47
11-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Thank you all your Great ... O and for more on Sauk look up Chief Black Hawk

I know that Chief very well. In my home town of Burlington Iowa they have a statue of him erected in Crapo Park along with some trails that they preserved along the Mississippi River. Go up to Rockford via the Quad Cities along the Rock River and check out the Huge statue they have of him there! You can see it coming out of the trees miles before you get there.:cool:

ISHKO
11-10-2007, 07:45 PM
I beleive Black Hawk had his potrait painted by Catlin.He was well known by Indians and whites of the times,respected for his courage,speaking skills,and his good treatment of war captives.

Smok
11-10-2007, 11:24 PM
I grue up in Northern Calif. so I never new much about my people and the Natives here new that I was native just by my looks but I was not of them so I got hammered by those boys. I was called apple and some other not so nice things but when I hit the woods all bets where off . Most of them never had a Grandpa to teach them the woods so soon the name calling stopped .. One thing I would like to know ?? Sarge47 as you grue up in my home land did you ever meet my people ?? and if so what colorer where they , you see my Dad and I are very red skinned So much so that I had people come and slap me thinking that I had a sun burn and the natives out here are very dark skinned.. I know that most of my people are dead but ??? :confused: I would like to know ??

Beo
11-13-2007, 10:03 AM
The Sauks or Sacs (oθaakiiwaki in their own language or Ozaagii(-wag) in Ojibwe from where their French and English names are derived) are a group of Native Americans.
The Sac may have had their original territory along the St. Lawrence River. However, migration patterns of other tribes drove them to Michigan around Saginaw Bay. Due to the yellow clay soils found around Saginaw Bay, their self-designation became Oθaakiiwaki which is often interpreted to mean "yellow-earth". The Ojibwe and Ottawa name for the tribe is Ozaagii, meaning "Those at the Outlet", whence they were known by the French as "Sac" or by the English as "Sauk". With the Anishinaabe expansion and Hurons attempts at gaining regional stability, the Sac were driven by the Hurons armed with French weapons. They then occupied territory in parts of what are now northern Illinois and Wisconsin.
Their closely allied tribe, the Fox, were noted for their hostility towards the French and fought two Fox Wars in the early 18th century. After the second war, the Sac sheltered the remaining Fox in their camp and were subject to French attack themselves. The Sac continued moving west to Iowa and Kansas. There were two crucial leaders of the Sac at this time. Keokuk accepted the loss of land (at first, east of the Mississippi) as inevitable in the face of vast numbers of white soldiers and settlers. He tried to preserve peacefully whatever remnant of tribal land he could. Having failed to receive supplies on credit as their embassy just returned from Washington expected, Black Hawk wanted to fight, saying his people were "forced into war by being deceived." The refusal of the band of mainly Sac under Black Hawk in 1832 to accept the continued loss of lands (in western Illinois, this time) led to their reduction in importance at the hands of General Edmund P. Gaines in the Blackhawk War. About this time, one group of Sac moved into Missouri and later to Kansas and Nebraska. The larger group of Sac moved into reservations in Oklahoma in 1869 where they merged with the Fox as the Sac and Fox Nation. A smaller number returned from Oklahoma (or did not go) and became the Mesquakie tribe in Iowa.
As of 2006 the Sac and Fox communities in existence are:
Sac & Fox Nation of Missouri in Kansas and Nebraska
Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma
Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa

Just a little info on the Sauk tribe, a proud and great people.

trax
11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
and I understand the upset, and I jumped the gun with my comment man, so...apologies for that...far as I'm concerned it's all good, if you're cool I'm cool (well I'm cool anyway, but you know, LOL)

and that was one heck of a history lesson you guys, thanks And if anyone wants to say anything about Chief Blackhawk, how many of you have an NHL team named after you? HA!