PDA

View Full Version : New additions to the "small collection?"

hunter63
12-14-2009, 01:36 PM
With St Nick heading this way, what are y'all lusting after this year, as far as new addition/s to your "small collections".

Mine would be a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag, or Savage Model 24 in .22/20 ga, or maybe another H&R Handi in .204 Ruger.
Nagants are always nice as a stocking stuffer.
So boys, Whats on your list?

2dumb2kwit
12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm not really lusting after any guns, this year. I wouldn't mind having a Henry lever action .22. (The small, light one.)

Heck....I wouldn't mind having a Cricket.

I also wouldn't mind having a nice scope, for my mini-14. (It kills cheap scopes.) It really sucks, to have a sub-MOA group going, and suddenly your POI moves 2 inches!:sneaky2:

Pal334
12-14-2009, 02:47 PM
A bobbed Duece. The wife is digging in deep against this one.

Pal334
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Oops forgot picture

hunter63
12-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Cool, Talk about a BOV, heh?
Congrats............

Geronimo!
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Mine already came. Picked up my first 12ga shotgun. Mossberg 500 black w/ wood stock and pump

hunter63
12-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Congrats, most versatile tool you can own these days.

crashdive123
12-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Continued good health for Mrs. Crash and I (and all of you of course) so that we can continue to get outdoors and enjoy what is really important.

Ken
12-14-2009, 05:12 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/xm4opf.jpg (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/?id=55547)

hunter63
12-14-2009, 06:48 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/xm4opf.jpg (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/?id=55547)

So is that the double barreled, heat seeking, ak 47 that was used for "da turtty pointer?"

Ken
12-14-2009, 06:50 PM
It's almost impossible to tell, but it's an AR-15. Probably 60 lbs. worth. :innocent:

Rick
12-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I told you, Pal. You need to be matching His and Hers. She can't say no to that.

Pal334
12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
I told you, Pal. You need to be matching His and Hers. She can't say no to that.

Naah,,she can not reach the pedals on a garden tractor!!!! So that tact is out. So as any macho man of the house will do when trying to assert oneself, I have resorted to whining and begging.:drool:

aflineman
12-15-2009, 07:32 AM
If I was to get something this year, it would probably be a .22 rimfire or .30cal suppressor. I have seen a couple of new designs which have caught my eye lately. It is really nice to go to the range and NOT have to wear hearing protection. (And Yes, this is with a tax stamp, the wait, and all of the other proper paperwork).

Geronimo!
12-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Congrats, most versatile tool you can own these days.

Thanks. I agree. As long as my bird is fat and slow it's most versatile. Swinging through without anticipating the kick has been a real challenge. I'll either swing and stop, or swing and jerk as I pull the trigger. It's annoying, but it's an excuse to practice at the clay range.

Geronimo!
12-15-2009, 10:04 AM
If I was to get something this year, it would probably be a .22 rimfire or .30cal suppressor. I have seen a couple of new designs which have caught my eye lately. It is really nice to go to the range and NOT have to wear hearing protection. (And Yes, this is with a tax stamp, the wait, and all of the other proper paperwork).

Those are legal? I thought suppressors went the way of the fully-automatic rifle.

aflineman
12-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Those are legal? I thought suppressors went the way of the fully-automatic rifle.

Both can be had (depending upon local laws) by paying $200 for a tax stamp, submitting the paperwork, and waiting for our overlord's approval. Usually 6 to 8 months.

NFA (National Firearms Act of 1934) Myths

1. Machines guns and suppressors are illegal
While your state of residence may not allow the possession of such weapons, they are not unlawful under federal law. NFA 1934 makes the transfer of such weapons taxable, and created a registry of such weapons.
No machine guns made after May 1986 can be entered in the registry creating a de facto ban on the production of new machine guns for civilians. This de facto ban does not apply to other NFA items.

2. You need a license to buy an NFA item.
No License is required. What you need to do is pay a tax on the transfer of each item in your possession. The tax is currently $200 for machine guns, suppressors, short-barreled rifles/shotguns, and destructive devices. The transfer tax for Any Other Weapon is $5.

Some states may have permiting or licensing requirements that have to be met prior to the purchase of NFA items, but there is no Federal "Class 3" license. That term is usually used to refer to a Class 1 FFL who has paid the SOT (Special Occupation Tax) fee to allow them to deal in Title II weapons and devices (NFA).

3.I have to pay the NFA tax every year
Another common myth; the transfer tax is paid once per transfer of the weapon, whether you own it for 10 days or 10 years.

4. Owning an NFA item means agreeing to give up your 4th amendment protections.
This is an oft repeated myth. No one can search your home (or whatever location you used for your ATF tax form) without your permission or a warrant just because you own NFA items.

5. If I buy an NFA item I’ll have to buy a safe to store it in.
While you are required to maintain control of your NFA items at all times (and a safe to which only you have access goes a long way to meeting this requirement), there is no law that requires you to buy a safe to store your NFA items.

6. No one else is allowed to use my NFA weapons
As long as you are maintaining control (which means you don’t leave the NFA items in the sole care of someone other than yourself) your friends and family are welcome to use them, as long as you are physically present.

Geronimo!
12-15-2009, 11:56 AM
That's good knowledge. Thank you

Ken
12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Good post, aflineman! :)

Chris
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
5. If I buy an NFA item I’ll have to buy a safe to store it in.
While you are required to maintain control of your NFA items at all times (and a safe to which only you have access goes a long way to meeting this requirement), there is no law that requires you to buy a safe to store your NFA items.

You don't have to, but you probably should, transferable automatic weapons are worth their weight in gold.

oldsoldier
12-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Heck....I'd just like to own a firearm.... Since I lost ALL of mine when the boat sunk back in july..............

aflineman
12-16-2009, 10:49 AM
You don't have to, but you probably should, transferable automatic weapons are worth their weight in gold.

Yes they are. On one hand a regret selling mine; on the other hand, I made a good profit.

Geronimo!
12-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Heck....I'd just like to own a firearm.... Since I lost ALL of mine when the boat sunk back in july..............

Sucks man. Were they too far down to get or warped from water damaged?

I made a good profit.

Nothing regrettable about that. :cool2:

snakeman
12-21-2009, 06:38 PM
I just got my first gun yesterday. Its a 20ga 870 with a 28 inch barrel and wood stock. I can't wait to shoot some skeet.

crashdive123
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Congratulations Snakean. Be safe and shoot straight.

2dumb2kwit
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I just got my first gun yesterday. Its a 20ga 870 with a 28 inch barrel and wood stock. I can't wait to shoot some skeet.

Great choice, in my opinion. It will serve you well.

Mountaintrekker
12-21-2009, 09:30 PM
snakeman,
Those skeet are sure fun, but cleaning them is a pain. No matter how we cook em up they are always so dry! :tongue_smilie:

Myself... I have been steadily whittling down the "modest collection" and getting stainless rifles in place of their blued cousins. Being on the coast has it's drawbacks with metal. I'm currently looking for a Ruger stainless ultralight in 30.06 and a stainless compact with laminate stock in .223.
My wife needs a Smith 5 shot .38spl and I've been toying with getting another snubbie .44spl.

Ole WV Coot
12-21-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm trying to start a collection. I let my attack beagle sniff a little gun oil and put gunpowder in his chow, showed him a pic of a Beretta like one I used to have and turned him loose in the house. No luck and with that dry dog food hope he don't get gas.

Rick
12-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Uh, yea. If you're putting powder in the dog food and he gets gas best to stand way back if he gets a funny look in his eye.

Re: The Beretta. Have you talked to the boys about it? I know how my conversations go. "Did either of you borrow my X?" Blank look followed by denials all around. Incidentally, they could be holding X when I ask.

Ole WV Coot
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Uh, yea. If you're putting powder in the dog food and he gets gas best to stand way back if he gets a funny look in his eye.

Re: The Beretta. Have you talked to the boys about it? I know how my conversations go. "Did either of you borrow my X?" Blank look followed by denials all around. Incidentally, they could be holding X when I ask.

Sure did. My son denies all knowledge, won't admit to any he "borrowed" and last time I was up North his gun safes were locked and he just smiled when I asked for the combination. Both grandsons just look at each other and then at me like the old man has lost it. Time to cut off their allowance, at 43 I think he should be on his own.:blushing: