PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Pressure Cooker/Canner Recommendations

smhg
12-12-2009, 06:43 PM
After seeing the post about moose meat in wine sauce, I am ready to get started on some canning!

I am looking to buy a stainless pressure and have a friend from the States bring it with them when they move back here. Right now I am using an old 7 litre one that my MIL let me borrow for the time being.

I searched the forum and saw the All American, which I have had LOTS of people recommend to me. But I really want a stainless one. I'll probably get a 10-15 Litre.

Suggestions?
Thanks!

crashdive123
12-12-2009, 07:07 PM
After seeing the post about moose meat in wine sauce, I am ready to get started on some canning!

I am looking to buy a stainless pressure and have a friend from the States bring it with them when they move back here. Right now I am using an old 7 litre one that my MIL let me borrow for the time being.

I searched the forum and saw the All American, which I have had LOTS of people recommend to me. But I really want a stainless one. I'll probably get a 10-15 Litre.

Suggestions?
Thanks!

Pict had said that a lot (most?) folks in his area of Brazil use one. Maybe he can give you a local source?

Winnie
12-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I think we're getting into the pressure cooker/ canner confusion again Crash. From what I remember Pict talked about a pressure cooker.

I've done some research into pressure canners and from what I've gleaned, stainless steel pressure cookers are not suitable for canning as the gauge of the metal is too thin, same with domestic pressure cookers as part of the processing is in the cooling down time. I could be wrong though, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

crashdive123
12-12-2009, 07:30 PM
You are probably right. http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/consumer/fact_sheets/pressurecannerandcooker.pdf

canid
12-12-2009, 08:02 PM
presto 18qt.

it's as big as you'll probably ever need, and can be had for around or under USD $100

All American makes some great PCs, and they are worth their price, but they are expensive.

canid
12-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I think we're getting into the pressure cooker/ canner confusion again Crash. From what I remember Pict talked about a pressure cooker.

I've done some research into pressure canners and from what I've gleaned, stainless steel pressure cookers are not suitable for canning as the gauge of the metal is too thin, same with domestic pressure cookers as part of the processing is in the cooling down time. I could be wrong though, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

it's just not true.

i've processed thousands of jars with aluminum and stainless cookers. i don't know where you guys are getting this stuff.

a design spec of 10psi is 10 psi, and 15psi is 15psi, regardless of what material the device is made of, and whether food or jars are placed inside.

smhg
12-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Pict had said that a lot (most?) folks in his area of Brazil use one. Maybe he can give you a local source?

Thanks Crash! Yes, everyone here uses one, but they are wayyyy more expensive here for a good one. For some that I have looked at I can get the same one in the States for half the price (after conversion) and my friends will bring it with them in ther container, so shipping is free.

smhg
12-12-2009, 08:20 PM
presto 18qt.

it's as big as you'll probably ever need, and can be had for around or under USD $100

All American makes some great PCs, and they are worth their price, but they are expensive.

Canid, thanks! Do you use the Presto? Is it reliable and durable? I have looked at Presto and Fagor so far.

crashdive123
12-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Canid - not having done any pressure canning - what about the info in the link I posted in post #4?

rwc1969
12-12-2009, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't get one if it wasn't rated for ast least 15 psi. I thought they all were regardless of whether they were cookers or canners. I thought the only difference was the type of racks thay came with. i.e. racks for canning vs. racks, etc. for cooking.

I use mine for mushroom cultivation, but know plenty who use the all american and presto with excellent results. the real difference is that most all but the all american use a rubber type gasket for sealing which will wear out and need replacing after repeated use. The all american uses no gasket and has a mchined aluminum seal. It will last forever!

I have a vintage 1940's Old #7 pressure canner which eventually became the Presto later on. It has the rubber gasket and still works great after 60+ years. the rubber gasket has been replaced though.

smhg
12-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't get one if it wasn't rated for ast least 15 psi. I thought they all were regardless of whether they were cookers or canners. I thought the only difference was the type of racks thay came with. i.e. racks for canning vs. racks, etc. for cooking.

I use mine for mushroom cultivation, but know plenty who use the all american and presto with excellent results. the real difference is that most all but the all american use a rubber type gasket for sealing which will wear out and need replacing after repeated use. The all american uses no gasket and has a mchined aluminum seal. It will last forever!

I have a vintage 1940's Old #7 pressure canner which eventually became the Presto later on. It has the rubber gasket and still works great after 60+ years. the rubber gasket has been replaced though.

RWC, thanks! If I get one with a rubber seal I'll be sure to order a few replacements so I don't have to worry about that over time.

I was looking online and saw that some say pressure cooker/canner and are advertised as both in one (though they came with racks for canning on this set.) But, based on the link that was posted I'll do some more research.

Thanks!

Rick
12-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I have the All American 21 quart and couldn't be happier with it. Their service is excellent, too. I've talked to their technicians twice and they were just great to work with. Having been around these canners for years they know some nifty little tidbits they pass along when you talk to them.

I would think a stainless steel canner the same size as a my All American would weigh about 900 pounds (give or take several hundred pounds). Why are you dead set on stainless? Is it just the price issue?

smhg
12-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I have the All American 21 quart and couldn't be happier with it. Their service is excellent, too. I've talked to their technicians twice and they were just great to work with. Having been around these canners for years they know some nifty little tidbits they pass along when you talk to them.

I would think a stainless steel canner the same size as a my All American would weigh about 900 pounds (give or take several hundred pounds). Why are you dead set on stainless? Is it just the price issue?

Rick, if I were just buying a canner, I'd buy aluminum in a heartbeat (my uncle does a lot of hunting and canning and loves his All American, too.) However, I also cook in it a lot (we cook a lot of beans here!) And I will likely cook other foods as well. I have read that aluminum leaches a fair amount into foods, and some have even gone as far to say that it is related to Alzheimers (though I have not read enough on that to know one way or another.) So to be safe I prefer stainless for cooking.

I'd love to have a cast-iron one, but don't think they make them!

Rick
12-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, okay. Aluminum cookware has been around for a long time but, by all means, do what you are comfortable with. If I didn't trust aluminum I wouldn't buy it either.

I've never seen a cast iron one either and given the pressure they are under I don't think cast iron would hold up.

rwc1969
12-13-2009, 01:45 AM
I won't drink from aluminum cans so I guess that makes sense. ??

You might want to get an extra "safety" blow out plug or two if it has one. I think all modern ones do and they can also fail. i'm not 100% sure on this though.

Winnie
12-13-2009, 06:53 AM
You are probably right. http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/consumer/fact_sheets/pressurecannerandcooker.pdf

Thanks Crash, I seem to recell it was the USDA site I saw something about the difference between the two. From what I recall pressure cookers are too unreliable to safely kill the bacteria in low acid foods and botulism is a friend I'd rather not make.

smhg
12-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I won't drink from aluminum cans so I guess that makes sense. ??

You might want to get an extra "safety" blow out plug or two if it has one. I think all modern ones do and they can also fail. i'm not 100% sure on this though.

Good idea..thanks!

Rick
12-14-2009, 05:25 AM
The All American I have has a rubber blow out plug.

canid
12-14-2009, 08:42 AM
every PC i've owned has a blow out valve [assuming i hadn't lost it yet].

winnie: i think you're thinking of hot water bath canners [or any non-pressureized canning method]. all pressure cookers are designed to opperate at a particular pressure range, and anything from 10 to 15 [the only pressures i see in any modern pressure cooker that isn't adjustible], is suitable for canning anything.

low acid foods can not be safely canned [without extremely long processing times] without steam pressure. i can't say this enough: if it's a pressure cooker, it's designed to cook material at above boiling temperature, at above ambient pressure using thermal expansion of water vapor to raise the vapor pressure, and thereby, raise the boiling point of water. it's how pressure cooking works, and it's why it is used for canning.

it's the simple act of fully sterilizing food, rather than simply cooking it. it only happens that it is also useful for cooking food more completely, and more quickly. e.g. you can cook a roast by processing it more quickly than you would if you wanted to sterilize it.

e.g. with a 10psi cooker, the prossessing should be roughly 1.5x as long as recommended for a 15psi cooker, but both are sold as 'pressure cookers' and 'pressure canners'. they are functionally identical.

if it's good enough to sterilize laboratory equiptment, culture media, medical implements, etc, it's good enough to sterilize food.

incodentally, i use mine even when making preserves, though they don't require it for safety, as it better [more quickly] destroys enzymes which will prevent the preserves from keeping color, texture, etc as long.

smhg: i've owned several prestos. i currently own two. i'd buy an all american if i could afford one, but prestos are still wonderfull.

this is probably the last time i'm going to chime in in this thread.

Rick
12-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Canid, I see you on an episode of CSI.

David Hodges peering into autoclave through window. "What the heck is in the autoclave?"

Canid: "Jam".

Winnie
12-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Canid, I did some research on pressure canning and I get the difference between steam canners, water bath canners and pressure canners, I use the water bath method for canning fruit. Perhaps it's an English/American difference. Pressure cookers over here tend to be small, I have the biggest pressure cooker you can buy over here it's 7 litre sized, and can only fit 3, 1 pint jars in at a time. It does have 3 weights 5,10 and 15lb. Compared to the pressure canners, I was under the impression that because of their small size, pressure cannot be maintained properly to guarantee complete processing. Also the larger pressure canners are made of a thicker gauge metal and take longer to cool down, so some of the processing time is in this period. As I said I could be wrong, But over here the use of a pressure cooker is not recommended for low acid foods for these reasons. Hence no-one cans meat here and the reason I've had such trouble finding one.

Just so you can see what I mean, here's a link to what's available here.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dkitchen&field-keywords=pressure+cooker&sprefix=press

I'm probably not explaing things too well! Sorry.

LowKey
02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Reviving this a bit.

Rick, your All American, is it the gauge that reads the pressure, or the weight?
I'm really looking for a weighted pressure canner and would prefer not to have the Aggies having to check a gauge every year. I'd probably have to mail it somewhere for them to do that.

I'm looking at the the #915, the 15qt job.

Rick
02-03-2010, 09:52 PM
The weight controls the pressure. It has a 5, 10 and 15lb dimple. The gauge is only there for reference. It's handy when you are letting it cool down because you don't want to pop the top until the pressure is at 0 but you can't regulate the pressure with gauge. You adjust the heat until the weight jiggles a couple of times a minute to release excess pressure.

LowKey
02-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

I also found this while rummaging around the NCHFP site. Might clear up what is considered a pressure canner in a few of the previous posts.

Pressure canners come deep enough for one layer of quart or smaller size jars, or deep enough for two layers of pint or smaller size jars. The USDA recommends that a canner be large enough to hold at least 4 quart jars to be considered a pressure canner for its published processes.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/using_press_canners.html

Chris
02-04-2010, 01:38 PM
I think most big canners (and big stock pots) are aluminum simply because stainless would be too heavy for many people to handle (and too expensive for many people to buy).

Rick
02-04-2010, 02:37 PM
That's an excellent point, Chris. I have a canner that can process two rows of jars and when that rascal is full, it's heavy. I can't imagine what a stainless steel one would weigh.

Chris
02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Besides the point that most big pots like that are only used to handle water or stocks, which aluminum does fine. You'd only want steel if you were doing something very acidic like tomato sauce, and if you're doing 20 quarts of tomato sauce... Well, you're probably cooking for a barracks, not a home.

edr730
02-08-2010, 08:25 AM
I only know the word "pressure cooker" and I've never heard the word "pressure canner". I'm assuming it must be new or unheard of, by me, terminology. I only know what the common usage of the word is here. Whenever anyone needed a big pot to cook in, they always used the big blue or white ceramic pots. These are the pots or roasters that everyone, that I know, uses for tomato canning.

Rick
02-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Pressure canners have been around for a long time. It's the only method of canning at home that is safe for long term storage of non-acidic foods.

edr730
02-08-2010, 10:16 PM
It's the name not the tool that is unfamiliar to me. We called them "pressure cookers". I'm sure there are many store canned vegetables that I probably never tasted until close to my adult life. We just canned some cabbage soup last night. I've given two of them away in the past year because I had too many around the house.

Rick
02-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Oh, sorry. Around here a pressure cooker was a smaller pressurized vessel. The larger was called the canner.