PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing gun laws

2dumb2kwit
12-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Man, the press hates it, when states use common sense....don't they? LOL

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — It's been the year of the gun in Tennessee. In a flurry of legislative action, handgun owners won the right to take their weapons onto sports fields and playgrounds and, at least briefly, into bars.

A nationwide review by The Associated Press found that over the last two years, 24 states, mostly in the South and West, have passed 47 new laws loosening gun restrictions.

Among other things, legislatures have allowed firearms to be carried in cars, made it illegal to ask job candidates whether they own a gun, and expanded agreements that make permits to carry handguns in one state valid in another.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hPr7XMxucKdLX90GDUlz3ELLBXMQD9CHIB9G6

Ken
12-12-2009, 09:05 AM
I love it! Chalk up a few for the good guys.

Stony
12-12-2009, 10:02 AM
wont last!
there are big changes coming to the whole gun issue and it will not be liked!
the UN is pushing Obama to sign on to their small arms control agenda.
word is out that hillary is on that project already.

it may be an election issue as soon as next year, surely in 2012.
most voters live in urbanareas and want more gun control.
you can immagen how this will end.

Ken
12-12-2009, 10:12 AM

I'm pleased to see that your reading comprehension is on par with your intellectual and writing skills. :innocent: Can you cite a source for your assertion?

"Public attitudes toward gun control have shifted strongly over the past 50 years, according to Gallup polling. In 1959, 60 percent of respondents said they favored a ban on handguns except for "police and other authorized persons." By last year, Gallup's most recent crime survey found 69 percent opposed such a ban."

Camp10
12-12-2009, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=Ken;174838]I'm pleased to see that your reading comprehension is on par with your intellectual and writing skills.

Funny stuff right there!:) I have to say though that I am a little nervous about what the current batch of Washington goofs might do to all our freedoms including the second amendment!

nell67
12-12-2009, 11:15 AM
wont last!
there are big changes coming to the whole gun issue and it will not be liked!
the UN is pushing Obama to sign on to their small arms control agenda.
word is out that hillary is on that project already.

it may be an election issue as soon as next year, surely in 2012.
you can immagen how this will end.
Another one listening to the wind blowing (aka:brain fart),eh Ken??LMAO

Ole WV Coot
12-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Most folks I know really don't voice their opinion on gun laws. It's a given they have them and will keep them. Statewide the majority feels that way. Same across the river in E. KY.

Rick
12-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Now, all we need is for Wisconsin, Illinois and D.C. to get their head out of their.....uh, clouds.

Batch
12-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I have seen more laxing then tightening. I believe that as of this coming February we'll have the right to carry concealed in National Parks.

Also, here in Florida, we have had the right to carry a firearm openly or concealed without a permit. While hunting, camping, or fishing or while traveling to or from those activities. The courts in Florida have consistently upheld those rights. Buy, the police are uninformed or misinformed in the matter and so arrests continue.

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection recently issued a letter saying the following:

FROM: Tracey S. Hartman, Sr. Attorney, Office of the General Counsel

SUBJECT: Open Display of Firearms in State Parks

The Department is interpreting rule 62D-2.014(10) to be consistent with section 790.25(3)(h), Florida Statutes, regarding the open display of firearms. This will allow persons visiting the state parks to lawfully display firearms while they are engaged in fishing, or camping or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition. It remains a criminal violation of section 258.008(3)(e) for any person to engage in the act of hunting within the boundaries of a state park without first obtaining the express permission of the Division of Recreation and Parks.

The Department still fully intends to enforce the strictures of Chapter 790 in the parks, including the prohibitions against the improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms, discharging a firearm in public, using a firearm while under the influence, shooting into dwellings, public or private buildings and the safe storage of firearms. The rule still prohibits the use of weapons within the parks and requires that:

Weapons shall at all times be in possession of a responsible party or properly secured within or to a vehicle or temporary housing, which shall include motor homes, travel trailers, recreational vehicles, campers, tents, or other enclosed structures, while in state parks. Properly secured means the weapon shall be locked away and not accessible to minors, and, if in a tent, means the weapon shall be secured in a locked container.

As I have stated in previous bulletins, these memoranda cannot begin to address every situation an officer will encounter. It is intended merely to provide general information regarding the Department’s decision to interpret the rule in conformance with state law. The Department expects you to use you professional judgment based on the totality of circumstances and act accordingly.

As you can see from that letter the laws are so messed up even law enforcement is confused as to how and what to enforce. Still nice to see you won't have to waste money defending yourself for something that wasn't even against the law.

Now, another question is why do these types of cases not always get dropped before court? Anti-gun prosecutors?

Laoch
12-12-2009, 12:42 PM
why do you guys need the guns in the first place?
the ordinary police dont even have guns over here

"handgun owners won the right to take their weapons onto sports fields and playgrounds and, at least briefly, into bars."

why would you want to bring a gun onto or sports field?
and why on earth would you bring a gun to a playground???

nell67
12-12-2009, 12:49 PM
why do you guys need the guns in the first place?
the ordinary police dont even have guns over here

"handgun owners won the right to take their weapons onto sports fields and playgrounds and, at least briefly, into bars."

why would you want to bring a gun onto or sports field?
and why on earth would you bring a gun to a playground???

For peronal protection,food procurment,and the inherent right as US citizens to own and carry firearms as put forth by the US Constitution.

Laoch
12-12-2009, 12:53 PM
food- grand

protection- ? are things crazy where all you live or something? how much crime is there???

constitutional right- just 'cause the law says something doesnt mean you gotta do it

Camp10
12-12-2009, 01:03 PM
food- grand

protection- ? are things crazy where all you live or something? how much crime is there???

constitutional right- just 'cause the law says something doesnt mean you gotta do it

No, things arent that crazy where we live, know why? Bad guys dont know who is armed. If you want to find the dangerous places here just look for the states or cities with the strict gun laws...

nell67
12-12-2009, 01:05 PM
food- grand glad you approve????Not that we need your approval.

protection- ? are things crazy where all you live or something? how much crime is there??? We have crime here,just like everywhere else.

constitutional right- just 'cause the law says something doesnt mean you gotta do itOh, but then we would be breaking the law,wouldn't we:smash:It is not a law that REQUIRES us to own them,but should we so desire to have them,we can legally possess them........

Rick
12-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Loach -

We see the right to carry a weapon as something very integral in the make up of our country. Our independence was won with them and has been protected by them. It's a bit tongue in cheek but how would the Irish feel if the law suddenly closed all the pubs? That's sort of how we feel about the right to carry. In addition, we still have the right to hunt large and small game nearly throughout our country.

While a few in this country would have stricter laws concerning firearms we consider them to be ill informed, mud crawlers and just generally unlikable characters in need of a good old fashioned bashing. :innocent:

Camp10
12-12-2009, 01:11 PM
nice post Rick!

Batch
12-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Why would it bother you that a law abiding person decides to carry something on his person?

I don't carry a handgun to procure food. I carry a handgun in the extremely unlikely event that I might need it for self-defense and the defense of my family and friends.

Like a seat belt, i wear it just in case. It is not always comfortable, but, you get used to it.

Law abiding people with seat belts are much more of a danger to those around them then law abiding citizens with guns...

And you are right that just because the Constitution says I can doesn't mean I have too. But, it definitely means that I can if I want too! Despite the opinions of others who choose not too...

nell67
12-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Loach -

We see the right to carry a weapon as something very integral in the make up of our country. Our independence was won with them and has been protected by them. It's a bit tongue in cheek but how would the Irish feel if the law suddenly closed all the pubs? That's sort of how we feel about the right to carry. In addition, we still have the right to hunt large and small game nearly throughout our country.

While a few in this country would have stricter laws concerning firearms we consider them to be ill informed, mud crawlers and just generally unlikable characters in need of a good old fashioned bashing. :innocent:++10 Rick,that is deserving of some reputation!

crashdive123
12-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Laoch - Under the Irish Constitution (1937 version)
The state is bound to protect "the personal rights of the citizen" and in particular to defend the "life, person, good name and property rights of every citizen" (Article 40.2) When the Constitution of the United States was debated and written, the framers came to realize that the "state", in order to protect the personal rights of citizens, must allow them the capability to protect themselves. Part of that thinking was to protect themselves from tyranny as well.

Laoch
12-12-2009, 02:27 PM
how would the Irish feel if the law suddenly closed all the pubs?

haha lol, personally id love it (i dont drink), everyone else however...er...

RobertRogers
12-12-2009, 03:50 PM
I've never found gun laws to be "relaxing" ;-)

Ole WV Coot
12-13-2009, 01:09 AM
I am part Scotch-Irish myself. My ancestors came here for freedom and a better life. We haven't missed a war for freedom, including yours since before our revolution. Remember during WWII the civilians here "donated" firearms to the UK. We just might need a firearm to protect our other freedoms in our Constitution someday. What we say, own or use guaranteed to us by our Constitution doesn't require us to explain it but we darn sure will defend it. I have never used a firearm in the USA but for my personal curiosity would you rather be speaking German or Japanese now?

Stony
12-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Ken, you windbag,
remember Obama's speach where he points to the religion and gun ownership issues that the people have?
and him mentioning that he will solve that? (hint: race for first place).
also, to slant a poll one way or another is not difficult.

Ken
12-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Ken, you windbag,
remember Obama's speach where he points to the religion and gun ownership issues that the people have?
and him mentioning that he will solve that? (hint: race for first place).
also, to slant a poll one way or another is not difficult.

Stony,

in most circumstances, I'd do a fast bit of research and easily refute such a lame proposition. However, valid statistics and proven facts mean nothing to you. Therefore, I won't waste my time.

May I suggest a site that is far more appropriate for you? :)

http://www.audioagain.com/shared/imagestore/confused1678054165.jpg

trax
12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
See...if ol' Stony had just stopped at "Ken, you windbag" he would have been fine. It's a sad, sad thing when that fella tries to explain himself.

My Member of Parliament is the one who's pushed the elimination of the long gun registry in Canuckistan. I admire the woman for it.

Rick
12-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Perhaps I should move to Canada and run for Parliament. I'd shake them up. I don't drink Tim Horton's and I refuse to speak French.

Stony
12-14-2009, 10:10 AM
read it.

www.ontheissues.org/2008/Hillary_Clinton_Gun_Control.htm

www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

Rick
12-14-2009, 10:17 AM
What is your point? Two politicians voice their opinion on gun control. Neither can affect it without the Congress. One of whom can't affect it even with Congress. You need to read some current numbers and polls. Gun control is loosing favor in most arenas...thank goodness.

Ken
12-14-2009, 10:25 AM
read it. slowly. and try to understand it this time. stony

www.ontheissues.org/2008/Hillary_Clinton_Gun_Control.htm (http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Hillary_Clinton_Gun_Control.htm)

www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm (http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm)

Rick
12-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Stony, I confess that I don't understand. You are in favor of gun control. I do understand that. I don't agree with it but I do understand it. I even agree with your right to feel that way and express your views. What I don't understand is why you post trying to prove that gun control is inevitable. Wouldn't a better approach be to post numbers and statistics showing that control actually works? Wouldn't your cause be better served by pointing out communities where gun control has driven crime down or lack of ownership has resulted in a safer place to live?

If those numbers or communities are out there then by all means point us toward them.

Posting a reference to two opinions, even if one is the President, really doesn't make the case. He can't get Congress to agree on Health Care reform how on earth could he manage to corral Congress on gun laws? The honeymoon is over. His rating is plummeting.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

trax
12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Perhaps I should move to Canada and run for Parliament. I'd shake them up. I don't drink Tim Horton's and I refuse to speak French.

The refusing to speak French is ok, but the not drinking Tim Horton's? Oh I don't think so, brother, that's almost akin to saying something against hockey, just downright un-patriotic.

Rick
12-14-2009, 12:10 PM
I'll make the national sport curling and change the name to the Canadian Maple Whirlygigs.

trax
12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
A little known secret....Canada's official national sport is still lacrosse. There's probably a lot of people who would actually agree with curling, but after a couple of ends, good luck getting them to be able to say "whirlygigs" (Curling...broom in one hand, Scotch in the other)

...and Canadian Maple is actually a donut flavor at...you guessed it...Tim Horton's.

Rick
12-14-2009, 12:15 PM
This whole plan is quickly unraveling. Perhaps it would be best if I left Canada to it's own fate.

trax
12-14-2009, 01:00 PM
This whole plan is quickly unraveling. Perhaps it would be best if I left Canada to it's own fate.

That's pretty much the way I see it too, hence...Free Traxistan...

Ken
12-14-2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Pfffffft! That poll has absolutely no statistical significance. I know that because Stony told me so.

Ken, you windbag.......to slant a poll one way or another is not difficult.

Ken
12-14-2009, 06:41 PM
It's a sad, sad thing when that fella tries to explain himself.

http://www.joelogon.com/images_temp/successoryinternet400.jpg

Rick
12-14-2009, 08:22 PM
About 30 years from now someone is gonna toss a copy of that down in front of one of those guys and say...

"Dad. What the @#$! were you thinking?"