PDA

View Full Version : Mora Survival Knife 2000

klkak
12-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I just received a Mora 2000 from Safe Zone LLC. Now keep in mind that I am not a Mora fan. I have had very bad luck with them. However I said I would use this new knife and give an honest opinion of it.

Initial impression: Good

The blade to handle fit is very good. The blade is 4 3/8” x 7/8' and extremely sharp out of the box. It appears to have a ¾ tang. The handle is a rubberized material and fills my large hands well. The sheath is made of injection molded plastic with a leather belt loop. I prefer heavy leather sheaths but this would add to the low cost of this knife.

Tomorrow I start testing it. :smash:

My first tests will include; chipping ice, cutting frozen birch bark off the tree and cutting thumb sized limbs off the tree for fire wood. I will also test it with a ferro rod to see how it works for starting a fire. These are things I commonly use my knives for. I will take pictures and share them.

Kevin.

Ken
12-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Crash! Something doesn't seem right about this thread.......... :sneaky2:

klkak
12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey Crash! Something doesn't seem right about this thread.......... :sneaky2:

And what might that be? Hmm!

Batch
12-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Looking forward to your review...

Ken
12-11-2009, 10:57 PM

:sneaky2:

http://rlv.zcache.com/keep_off_my_turf_tshirt-p2354295069971774763yg7_400.jpg

Ken
12-11-2009, 11:33 PM

My Beagle, Clyde, never ever even growled at a person until a Forums Member posted a thread in an attempt to usurp the Quality Control Department. Later that night when I got home and opened the door there was this very bloody person huddled in a corner near the computer with Clyde sitting in front of him. I called the police and an ambulance then asked the kid if he'd read the Quality Control Department Regulations. He said yes but the dog acted friendly and didn't even growl. He said Clyde followed him through the house and let him turn on the computer and then attacked him as he hit the submit icon. The kid took over 100 stitches and will be scared for life. It never went to trial. One of the responding officers was a K-9 officer and he rewarded Clyde with many doggy treats. Clyde had never been trained to guard or attack. The K-9 officer said any dog is capable of bitting therefore "Beware of Dog" signs are always a good idea.

Good post, Kevin! :innocent:

klkak
12-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Oh, Ken. What a card. I laughed so hard I snorked.

rwc1969
12-12-2009, 08:19 PM
I was going to get a Mora until I found out they weren't full tang. I use the butt of my knife to pound. I've had some near serious accidents with cheap, non-full tang fixed blades. I don't like them and couldn't recommend one to anybody.

I've had the handles break when cutting and cause some pretty bad cuts. and I didn't pound with these ones either cause I knew they weren't full tang.

Are any Moras full tang?

crashdive123
12-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't believe any are (but there are a lot models - I may be wrong).

oneraindog
12-12-2009, 09:40 PM
i dont know of a finished knife that is full tang but one of their models must be? (emphasis on the "?")

but if you are excited about making your own handle you have these options:

http://www.attacc.com/acatalog/FROSTS_OF_MORA___KNIFE_MAKING.html

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Brand&Brand=47&CatalogName=&PriceStart=&PriceEnd=&Feature=&Cat=&filter=&SearchText=&list=20&range=1&order=Default&SKU=FSKB311

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=31078&cat=1,51222&ap=1

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Categories?category=Knifemaking%3ABlades

Rick
12-12-2009, 09:46 PM
As far as I know, the only models with full tangs are the stainless steel knives with guards designed for kids. Models, 33, 34, 39 and 40. But why do you use your knife to hammer with?! Can't you use a rock? Proper tool for the proper job and all that.....

Sarge47
12-12-2009, 10:06 PM
As far as I know, the only models with full tangs are the stainless steel knives with guards designed for kids. Models, 33, 34, 39 and 40. But why do you use your knife to hammer with?! Can't you use a rock? Proper tool for the proper job and all that.....A knife should NEVER be used as a hammer! There are lots of other things that can be used, like a rock, the blunt end of an axe or hatchet, or even a lawyer's head...! :innocent: :sneaky2: :cool2:

Ken
12-12-2009, 10:07 PM
A knife should NEVER be used as a hammer! There are lots of other things that can be used, like a rock, the blunt end of an axe or hatchet, or even a lawyer's head...! :innocent: :sneaky2: :cool2:

:cursing::angermanagement:

Sarge47
12-12-2009, 10:09 PM
:cursing::angermanagement: WOW! That took you all of 15 seconds to respond! :sneaky2:

Ken
12-12-2009, 10:12 PM
WOW! That took you all of 15 seconds to respond! :sneaky2:

Wow! I didn't know that you could tell time! :innocent:

Sarge47
12-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Wow! I didn't know that you could tell time! :innocent:
YEP! Didn't go to law school! :sneaky2:

Ken
12-12-2009, 10:17 PM
YEP! Didn't go to law school! :sneaky2:

I see you're on a roll tonight, huh? Ran out of medication, did ya'? :innocent:

Sarge47
12-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I see you're on a roll tonight, huh? Ran out of medication, did ya'? :innocent:Isn't this "pick on a lawyer" month? :innocent:

Ken
12-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Isn't this "pick on a lawyer" month? :innocent:

No. It's "send all your money to a lawyer" month. :innocent:

Sarge47
12-12-2009, 10:26 PM
No. It's "send all your money to a lawyer" month. :innocent:I got 20 cents that ain't doin' anything! :online2long:

Ken
12-12-2009, 10:29 PM
I got 20 cents that ain't doin' anything! :online2long:

That's a start.......... :innocent:

Sarge47
12-12-2009, 10:33 PM
That's a start.......... :innocent:Would you take a check? :online2long:

Ken
12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Would you take a check? :online2long:

Not one of yours. :sneaky2: A wire transfer, certified check, bank check, cashier's check, teller's check, money order, or Western Union money transfer would be okay. Or just send two dimes. :innocent:

Ken
12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
OK, its been over 24 hours since the original post and I want some test results - and want them promptly:) Why do I have the feeling that this knife is going to be abused beyond its intended purpose and design? Why do I have the feeling that the testing will be to the death even if it means running over the knife with tank? I am feeling sorry for that poor little inexpensive knife :(

And this will only be the first test.............

http://www.iqsdirectory.com/info/industrial-shredders/images/industrialshredD.jpg

klkak
12-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Don't get your panties in a wad sjj.

I only did some ice chipping yesterday on a frozen lake. The chipping caused the edge near the tip to roll. I straighten it out with a Rediedge and began again and the edge rolled again. I took it home a resharpened it with my DMT kit to a 20 degree bevel edge.

Tomorrow I'm heading into the bush for 3 days, I will continue testing it there.

So far I like the handle. Being made of rubber I can use the knife bare handed in the near zero temps here.

I also tried starting a fire with a ferro rod and the knife. It worked but the ferro rod took the edge clean off the base of the blade. The back of the blade is to polished to strike a spark and would have to be modified for that purpose.

For the chap that uses his knife as a hammer. I'm glad we all know that about you now. It's kinda like hunting wild hogs with a pellet gun. Yea you can do it but it only takes one miss for folk to mark you as "unethical". If you ever miss the nail you'll have an injured hand for your effort.

As for me I carry a hatchet for chopping and hammering.

Ken
12-14-2009, 01:32 AM
So it's fair to say that you haven't buried the hatchet yet, huh? :innocent:

klkak
12-14-2009, 01:39 AM
So it's fair to say that you haven't buried the hatchet yet, huh? :innocent:

I buried a hatchet once..............I could'nt use it any more cause it was stuck in..................some...................thing. Yea it was stuck in something and...............so..........I buried him...............oops..........I mean it.:innocent:

Ken
12-14-2009, 01:41 AM
I buried a hatchet once..............I could'nt use it any more cause it was stuck in........a..........some..........a.........thing . Yea it was stuck in something and...............so..........I buried him...............oops..........I mean it.:innocent:

Sounds like one of our hometown girls down here. :innocent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizzie_Borden

klkak
12-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Sounds like one of our hometown girls down here. :innocent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizzie_Borden

I beg your pardon! I have no idea as to what you are referring to.

rwc1969
12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Sarge and klkak,

Uh, I never said I used my knife as a hammer. I said I used it to pound. I use the butt or "pommel" of certain knives to pound certain things, nails not being one of those things, LOL!

Please don't take my responses out of context.

The butts of some knives don't have pommels and I wouldn't use those to pound.

The definition of pommel is to beat or pound, so I think I'm on track here. LOL!

I use my Rapala fillet knife, which has a pommel to knock fish out before cleaning. I use the pommel of my Buck fixed blade to break the pelvic bone of deer.

A properly constructed knife, full tang, with a pommel can be safely used to pound certain objects, using common sense of course. That's why it has a pommel.

Regardless of the proper use of the pommel of a knife I feel it is far more unsafe to use a knife that is not full tang. If the handle breaks, and they eventually do, you run the risk of stabbing yourself, slicing off fingers, having shards of plastic or other handle material embedded in your palm, etc., etc.

Just for the record the backside of a hatchet, just like a knife pommel, is not designed for hammering either. Check the safety rules.

Leighman
12-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Moras do one thing well, they SLICE.

I've owned 5-6 over the last 10-12 years and while the "2000" has the longest tang of them all (it is still short by comparison), it is still JUST a slicing tool.

For centuries, the Swedes/Finns depended on axes for things that axes do well; chopping.

As stated, Moras make excellent trunk/backup kit knives but if I was stuck with ONLY one knife (and no hatchet/axe/machete) it would not be a Mora.

Yes, some knives were/are made to be used as a makeshift hammer by design. Ka-Bar and USN/USAF survival knife readily come to mind.

klkak
12-17-2009, 11:33 PM
I just got back from 3 day 2 nights in the Alaska bush (on the Yetna river, 40 miles from Deshka landing). At one point I went out to a near by lake to get some ice for water. I decided to use the Mora 2000 again see'n as how I put a different edge on it. Well, this time the blade bent at the handle. I tried to take a picture but it was to cold (-10):cold: and my camera wouldn't work (sorry). I used my hatchet to straighten out the blade and finish chopping the ice.

I was able to cut some bark off a birch for starting a fire but when I tried to cut limbs, it just wasn't a heavy enough knife to chop the limbs (I referred to my hatchet). Earlier I had used a file to reshape the edges on the back of the blade so it would strike a spark on ferro rod. I was able to start a fire with ease.

Back at the cabin I used it frequently to slice meat and vegetables for our meals and it worked flawlessly.

I showed the knife to several people that lived on the river and asked their opinions. All said they like the rubber handle. All of them also said that it was to light to be of any use other then in the kitchen.

I have several Otter and Martin that need to be skinned. I am going to use the knife for skinning them. I think it will do just fine for this task.

Again I am sorry I have no pictures to share.

Kevin,

Sarge47
12-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't want all of you thinking that the old Sarge doesn't have any Christmas spirit, so here goes! Anybody that has a Mora knife they don't want, PM me & I'll give you my address...then you can send them to me and I'll give 'em a good home...just like I'd do with Morels. Hey, if you think they're dangerous, send 'em my way, I don't want anybody gettin' hurt with one of 'em...I ain't scared of 'em, I even drink out of a hard plastic Nalgene bottle, remember! (maybe I can score a free blade with this scam!):innocent::sneaky2::cool2:

Ken
12-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Again I am sorry I have no pictures to share.

Kevin,

A GOOD friend would go back with a different camera and do it all over again in order to get good pictures. :innocent:

Ken
12-17-2009, 11:48 PM
(maybe I can score a free blade with this scam!):innocent::sneaky2::cool2:

How about 4 blades? I'm gonna' change the cartridge on my Schick Quatro in the morning, and I'd be happy to send you the old one. :)

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/83691/300.JPG&size=18&dhm=c5b44345&hl=en

crashdive123
12-17-2009, 11:49 PM
I'll remember during the next freeze over down here to not use one of my Moras to chop ice.

Sarge47
12-17-2009, 11:49 PM
How about 4 blades? I'm gonna' change the cartridge on my Shick Quatro in the morning, and I'd be happy to send you the old one. :)Nah, save it for the hair on your back! :sneaky2:

Ken
12-17-2009, 11:50 PM
I'll remember during the next freeze over down here to not use one of my Moras to chop ice.

You could have thought about our suffering up here and not posted that. But did you? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :sneaky2:

Sarge47
12-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Remember, the right tool for the right job.:innocent:

Ken
12-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Remember, the right tool for the right job.:innocent:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:7wcnmE3c9oFywM:http://www.acemart.com/renderImage.image%3FimageName%3Dgraphics/00000001/products/AMMIC79.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.acemart.com/renderImage.image%3FimageName%3Dgraphics/00000001/products/AMMIC79.jpg&imgrefurl=http://foodservice.chef2chef.net/restaurant-supplies-equipment/bar-supplies/Ice_Picks/Ice_Pick_8_Each_9256.htm&usg=__ZlEWEfoxZhzYtKIHzzC-X4akD7U=&h=387&w=400&sz=10&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=7wcnmE3c9oFywM:&tbnh=120&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dice%2Bpicks%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26saf e%3Doff)

Rick
12-18-2009, 07:54 AM
I would agree with you sjj. I'm no survival expert but there are "windows of work" that any tool is designed to operate within. Outside of those windows the tools will generally perform poorly or at least not as well.

As to the term "survival", it was probably an early marketing term but Mora seems to have dropped that nomenclature. Their current verbiage is "A first-rate, all-around knife", which is probably much more accurate.

In the field, I carry the RAT-7 for the heavy work and a Mora 780 for the light work. I'm still miffed that Mora dropped the 780 by the way!

klkak
12-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I fully understand that any task has its tool. For instance I carry a hatchet for chopping. The tasks I am using this Mora for are to test its limits. I am seeing that this knife is indeed a light duty knife to be carried and used along with a tougher knife and or hatchet.

rwc1969
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
One trick I've learned for cutting fairly large live branches and saplings with a small knife is to bend the branch and then rock the blade thru the branch. I've cut some fairly large, 2-4" diameter, oaks this way using my small Kabar and Imperial pocketknives. By doing this you make a clean cut all the way thru the branch or sapling. It beats chopping or batoning in my opinion and is easier on the wrist and edge of the knife.

I was reading Mors Kochanski's book "Bushcraft" the other day and he recommends the same. He also recommends a full tang knife with, and I'm not making this up, a "durable pommel that will endure heavy pounding". Thanks Mors for backing me up. LOL!

He also goes on to recommend Mora, Sheffield and Solinger carbon steel blades and states that Mora stainless is as every bit as good as their carbon steels. Most likely referring to their ease of sharpening in the field and ability to keep an edge.

Is Mora stainless easier to sharpen than others?

Confusing! On one hand he recommends Mora and on the other he recommends full tang with a pommel.

Did Moras used to be full tang and have pommels?

Sarge47
04-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Bumping back to the top!