PDA

View Full Version : just my opinion

corndog-44
11-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Wilderness survival is probably mis-named. What we are really talking about are the skills that kept human beings alive before agriculture and civilization. Wilderness skills are about renewing your connection to nature, learning to be observant, and learning to live outside of civilization. Mastering wilderness skills means that you will always have the option of walking off into the woods (or desert, or tundra) and being totally free.

sam30248
11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
thats true we just keep the skills alive for the young ones . i try to teach my son every chance i get ,to be one with nature.:):)

FVR
11-09-2007, 04:35 PM
That's it, teach the kids. I've been to my daughters K class twice with critter parts, bows, arrows, (yeh arrows, country school) talking of prim. skills.

Next Friday will be putting up the one pole, sitting out there in my buckskins, with a pot of wild hog meat, showing how to make flint and steel fires and a little flint knapping.

It's just what I do.

sam30248
11-09-2007, 07:37 PM
FVR, you have it going on , im skilled but not that skilled yet. good luck to you:)

FVR
11-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I've been doing it for awhile.

As I've said before "some cirlcles I'm considered a good woodsman, other circles I feel like a greenhorn."

MedicineWolf
11-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I like that Corndog, what I do isn't really wilderness survival so much as living on my own out in the north country forests and mountains.
FVR you sound like Beowulf, he's always teaching the kids where he lives in a program he has called Miami Valley Trackers.

FVR
11-09-2007, 09:52 PM
MedicineWolf,

I use to do alot more before the kiddy's came along. Between the Boy Scouts, rendezvous, school functions, I was having a blast.

Wondering if both you and Beo. are Historical Trekkers? Many years back I was, but kind of fell out because they do alot of reenacting. I'm not into reenacting, I'm into going into the woods carrying my selfbow or old longrifle and doing the prim. thing.

Couple more years and my son will be tagging along.

MedicineWolf
11-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah, did alot of that years ago together, we were never into reinacting either, done a trek called "starvation scout" if you've ever heard of it. Couple traks in Oregan, Wyoming, and here at home but mostly in Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia.
You'd have to ask Beowulf on the specifics as he set it all up and found the info for us, he's bugger on those things.

dilligaf2u2
11-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I live on the outskirts of a city. I practice wilderness and social survival.

I know how to live off the land for a short time. Say 3 to 6 months. Would I want to for long term (1 or 2 years) No!

If I get caught out in the wilds, I could live till help gets there. I could keep a small group (6) alive for weeks if not months.

Social survival is surviving a collapse of society. I am prepared to do this. Would I want to? Not at all!

If it came today, I would turn all I have over to my son and walk off to meet my fate! My son has the age and the skill to make a go of it. TDW has medical problems! I do too. TDW has to see a doctor monthly and takes meds daily. These are thing we could not get if it comes to a social collapse. I have had my back broke twice. I have arthritics. I am borderline diabetic and take meds for it. I have had 3 strokes in the last 15 years and 2 heart attacks.

Honestly: TDW & I would be a waist of resources. My son could keep himself, His wife and the grand kids alive for over a year with what I have here and he knows what to do! If he used the skills I taught him he could care for his for years or till things recovered.

Dilli

Nativedude
11-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Realistically we all are "survivors." Whether you live in the city, country, or back woods. I consider folk that live in the city more of the survivor breed than those of us that live in rural or desolate areas.

The animals in the cities are far more dangerous than those in the woods!

I live a "primitive" lifestyle. I prefer to do for myself rather than have things done for me. Built my own dwelling, plant & harvest my own crops, trap & hunt my own meat, make my own clothes, etc. For me it is much more rewarding to do things for myself.

I call it "GOOD LIVING!!" :D

ISHKO
11-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Amen,Nativedude.