PDA

View Full Version : Sarge47 ? Fishing

Smok
11-08-2007, 09:59 PM
:)Where and what do you fish for , is it lakes, revers .. Bass ,Pan fish ,Trout ,Salmon :)

Sarge47
11-08-2007, 10:13 PM
:)Where and what do you fish for , is it lakes, revers .. Bass ,Pan fish ,Trout ,Salmon :)

I've been tying off & on for some years now. Just love the "art of imitation" so to speak. I've been hitting some local lakes & reservoirs and have caught a few Blue Gill. One lake here they stock with Trout, but I haven't caught any yet. I used to attend meetings from a local club but we tragically lost our main guy a couple of years ago. he was being treated for Cancer, went out into his backyard to an old wood pile to get rid of it and when he pulled off a piece of wood a bunch of Bumble Bees came out and a few of them stung him. He was dead within an hour. A sad loss to the community all the way around as he'd been the music director at the University here prior to his retirement.

Here's an interesting thought, Smok. Every good survival kit has some fish hooks in it. I carry some flys as I figure I can fashion a "home-made" fly-rod from a flexible branch and my mono-filiment line I keep with the hooks. I also read where a guy made flys in a survival situation from the threads of his shirt. Using a multi-tool pliers as a portable vise and the small scissors from my Victorinox Swiss Army Knife and the thread from my sewing kit, a tiny piece of foil from my sheet of aluminum foil, maybe a lock of my hair...Do you see what I'm getting at? "Survival Flys" of course. What do you think?

Beo
11-08-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't know squat about fly fishing, used to watch my gramps and he had ball, got his old rod out in the garage. Anyway give some tips on making flys to use in survival fishing as I think that would be great and knowledge I need.

Smok
11-08-2007, 10:50 PM
I never thought of that ,I asked you Sarge47 becouseI would like to send you and Beowulf65 some flies and I did not know that you fished for . But the survival flies is a great idea PM me your address . now how do I send photo here

Sarge47
11-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I never thought of that ,I asked you Sarge47 becouseI would like to send you and Beowulf65 some flies and I did not know that you fished for . But the survival flies is a great idea PM me your address . now how do I send photo here

Not sure on the photo thing, maybe someone else can help on that.

marberry
11-08-2007, 11:01 PM
i always carry a reel of high quality fishing line and some hooks , the rod is just a matter of finding a good sapling. iv found the best way to fish without a gear box is to put some colorful leaves on the hook so it looks like a bug . iv never caught anything big fishing like that but always enough to eat (if im at the right lake/river)

Smok
11-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Some of the best flies are also some of the easies . Just off the top of my head I would think flies that last a long time and that can take abuse and still catch fish is what is needed . So are some patterns that way do the job Copper Johns ,copper bead head woolly buggers ,glow bugs fish will eat eggs year round PT flash backs I have to add to this list but for fish catching this are good and if you have some trot hooks you can easily say a bank line with the small fish cut up as bait

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 11:32 PM
i began crafting a wood hook the other day in the woods ill post a pic when i go retrive it. its not done yet but looking pretty good so far

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 11:32 PM
can anyone tell us what kind of weaving we need to use on our natural fibers to craft a fishing line?

marberry
11-08-2007, 11:40 PM
wow thats a tough one .... id say its way to hard just bring a roll of firewire, that stuff lasts forever

Smok
11-09-2007, 02:32 AM
Use a two ply cordage twisting clockwise and then put them together by twisting counter clockwise to water prof use pine pitch.. The inner bark if a hard wood makes a good cordage . If Seine is there it needs to be water profit too.But by far the best is to keep some 550 or some other cordage in your pocket its not that big , I am not as familiar with this site as I would like tobe but I hope that you can find some where on here that you can find something about cordage making if not, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help

Smok
11-09-2007, 02:47 AM
Don't forget alder is a hard wood lives right on the water

dilligaf2u2
11-10-2007, 04:38 AM
I fly fish. I tie flies too.

I have # 18's and # 16 hooks in my survival kit. I also have a few flies tied in the kits too. San Juan Worms in size 14 and 16 works well. 20 foot of Spider wire is a must have in the kit as is 20 foot of clear mono. I can take thread from the 550 cord and 3 foot of spider wire or mono and I get river trout and lake pan fish.

Hint: Big hooks get cleaned off by little fish. Little hooks can catch big fish. Empty the 550 cord and pack it with very small rocks or sand. Melt the ends and you have a snag resistant sinker. 6 inches is usually enough. I also pack the 550 cord with BB’s and melt a swivel on the ends and use these in the rivers. Makes a great snag resistant sinker for drift fishing

dilligaf2u2
11-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Hint #2
A small hook and some super glue can help. Get a hopper, cricket or beetle and glue it live to the hook. The movement of the bug attracts fish.

I have set trout lines a few times. Tie the end of the line to a nice branch at riverside. If it moves, don’t go get it right away. Let the first fish pull it around for a bit. Moving bait gets more attention. I usually set only 4 hooks to a trout line and waiting for 5 or 10 minuets after the first fish hits. I usually pull up 2 or even 3 fish for dinner.

Dilli

Smok
11-10-2007, 04:50 AM
dilligaf2u2 Thanks have you tried fluorocarbon instead of mono fluorocarbon last longer then mono sometimes 2 or 3 years longer

dilligaf2u2
11-10-2007, 05:03 AM
I have not tried it. I will look into it and let you know what I find. I usually just snag what is in my fishing gear. I replace what is needed every fall.

Boom Bait. I have never failed with Boom Bait. If there is a fish within 50 yards he is mine. Take 1 part Dynamite and 2 parts rock. Light and throw. Works every time.

Watch out for the flying fish and the game warden.

Dilli

flandersander
11-10-2007, 01:55 PM
HAHA boom bait thats classic. That superglu the bug to the hook thing sounds cool. I have a cabin at a place called little bear lake saskatchewan canada. I tie 10 feet of braided "super line", as it is called, and i tie on 3 hooks. i use worm or night crawler for bait. i tie a piece of wood about an inch long to the line as a trigger. the piece of wood goes on a small flat rock. i stand it up so the sharp end is on the flat rock. the wood on the line is sharpened on both ends to make a touchy trigger. the wood on the line is sandwhiched between the small flat rock on the bottom and a large flat rock on top. when a fish pulls the wood, tied to the line, free the rock slips off and the pre bent sapling is free to snap straight up again. this flings the fish out of the water. all i do is check the shore for fish every half hour.

Smok
11-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I first heard of boom bait I was about 9 or 10 I looked every where for it was years before I found out what it was...lol

flandersander
11-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Smok. You should try my way of fishing. u have to look out though for when you go to check the line. I have been hit in the face several times when checking lines.

flandersander
11-10-2007, 09:10 PM
you too dilligaf2u2.

Smok
11-10-2007, 11:00 PM
I have used it and you are right it does work great frees up time for other thing but I love to fish so unless it is for real I'm just gone to fish I know I'm bad :)

Beo
11-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey Smok I found this site you might like if you don't know about it already.
http://www.historicanglingenterprises.com/

Smok
11-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I've never seen it looks good . Thanks .. Did you ever see A River Run Through It ..I laugh so hard , You see he must have been a reenact , because the line he used would have held a lot of water , he would have to dry the line out that is way he cast that way .. After that movie ever one wanted to cast like that .. I'd tail them yes I can teach you to fish like but you don't have to now not with the lines we have today

Beo
11-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Bro, I got the flys for fly fishing today, did you make those all by hand? Holy crap those are frig'n great!!! I mean waaaaaay better than store bought.
Love the crap outta them and can't get over how good they are. Now I don't wanna use them I wanna put them in a frame and hanging them in my Cabin Room (that's my man only room, shut up Trax and Cyber Girls don't go there) they are great.

nell67
11-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Bro, I got the flys for fly fishing today, did you make those all by hand? Holy crap those are frig'n great!!! I mean waaaaaay better than store bought.
Love the crap outta them and can't get over how good they are. Now I don't wanna use them I wanna put them in a frame and hanging them in my Cabin Room (that's my man only room, shut up Trax and Cyber Girls don't go there) they are great.

AAAAHHH beo,LOL ok I wont say it :(

Smok
11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Beowulf65 thank you for the complement but those are just for fishing :o if you would like some for display I will make some up with a little written up about each fly then you can frame it up . your very welcome

survivalhike
11-17-2007, 04:22 AM
I carry a large assortment of flies in my survival kit because they don't take up any space at all and I don't think that a thousand of them weigh more than a few ounces. I will confess that I don't tie my own flies, but I buy an assortment from a reatiler that has about 20 in there of all shapes and sizes.

I also fly fish differently. I use an angling rod with a very small water filled bobber about five feet above the fly. The water adds the weight needed to cast a fly on an angling rod, and once it gets into the water it becomes neutrally buoyant and does not drag the fly under water. I slowly pull it in and "grip it and rip it" once I see something hit my line.

I have always wanted to learn to fly fish, is it really hard to pick up, or should I give it a try? I want to take a fly rod on my river hike this winter (Arizona winter) and use it to catch food to eat.

Smok
11-17-2007, 03:56 PM
It is very ease to fly fish get a few mag. and read , see if you have a club in your area people make to much out it .Patterns are no big deal all you need is may be 20 or so and your good . I very seldom cast more then 30 feet when fishing ...fill free to ask me what ever and if I can help I will ...:)

Beo
11-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Put the flies and some line in with my kit, going to check my grndpaps old rod tonight, if its workable I'll be picking your brain on how to ue it (fly fish with it) and start fly fishing.

flandersander
01-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I can cast a flyrod but my problem is that i don't know how to tie. We'll work on that though wont we Smok. And lack of experience means i don't know how to "match the hatch". Or do you just see what they are eating and use a fly that looks a lot like it?

Rick
01-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I stopped at Wally World and in the sewing department I picked up 5 sewing machine bobbins for about $1.69 or something like that. Anyway, I can put a couple of hundred feet on a bobbin and it takes up no room at all. Once I have the thread on I take some masking tape and cover the bobbin so the line doesn't come undone. I have two flys, three hooks, a jig, my bobbin and four split shot in a 35mm film can.

Once you catch your first fish fly fishing you will be hooked (no cheap pun this time). It's almost like art in motion to fly fish. Serenity at its apex. For those of you that tie, my hat is off to you.

Sarge47
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I stopped at Wally World and in the sewing department I picked up 5 sewing machine bobbins for about $1.69 or something like that. Anyway, I can put a couple of hundred feet on a bobbin and it takes up no room at all. Once I have the thread on I take some masking tape and cover the bobbin so the line doesn't come undone. I have two flys, three hooks, a jig, my bobbin and four split shot in a 35mm film can.

Once you catch your first fish fly fishing you will be hooked (no cheap pun this time). It's almost like art in motion to fly fish. Serenity at its apex. For those of you that tie, my hat is off to you.

I love tying, it's so cool to catch a fish on an imitation bug you made yourself. Rick, just get yourself a "starter" set from Cabela's or someplace and dive in! It's a great hobby and if you get your kids involved, really cool. To top it off, our Fly-fishing/Fly-tyer's club likes to help the Boy Scouts earn their "Fly fishing" merit badge; at that time we also give a lesson in fly-tying as well.:cool:

canid
01-12-2008, 05:15 PM
moreover, alder is a supple hardwood, far more prone in it's green state to bending than to breaking. it and maple switches [suckers] make great cane poles.

canid
01-12-2008, 05:17 PM
for improvised natural line, nettle makes a decent strength cordage even in small diameters and has long fibers, as does flax. i'm not the best at cordage so i'll have to play around with it.

canid
01-12-2008, 05:25 PM
as for fly fishing, the most versatile flies i've used are the small, dime per dozen cork poppers. they've netted me trout, panfish/sunfish, yellow perch and black bass and i've used them on a cane pole easily.

AdventureDoc
01-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Anybody tried noodling?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noodling

Any tips?

nell67
01-12-2008, 06:47 PM
here is another thread

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88&highlight=tickling

Smok
01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't know about that Noodling thing I saw the "Girls gone Noodling" and I am thinking those girls are to tough for me :rolleyes:

Rick
01-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Smok, come here! (whispers as they walk). It wasn't noodling, okay? It was the DVD I gave you, remember? About spring break?

RBB
01-13-2008, 12:06 AM
can anyone tell us what kind of weaving we need to use on our natural fibers to craft a fishing line?

Closest I've come to that is braiding horse hair to make a line. Start with three hairs from the tail - adding one piece at a time to continue your line. White hair is strongest for some reason. I've been monkying with this for years, and have about 10 yards of line. It won't handle a very heavy fish, but is fine for pan fish, blue gills and the like.

For hooks, my grandfather used to use two different things found in nature, a thorn, or a small piece of bone. The thorn would have a "hook" shape, and the bone would be straight, pointed at both ends, and tied in the center, with the line looped around one end. Of course, he was a naturally good fisherman, and didn't need much of anything to catch fish.

I have a small pocket fishing kit I inherited from grandfather. It is a round home-made brass box with a hinged cover, about four inches across and an inch deep. Inside, it has two layers of thick felt. You place the points of your hooks in the felt and line is wound up inside the box. All you need for a pocket fisherman's kit. I've replaced his old black braided line with some Spider Wire. It is excellent line and very strong.

My nephews in Oklahoma have become very good at "noodling." I've tried it a couple of times, but I have a fear of snapping turtles in the brown water they have down there. Grandfather was very good at "tickling trout." I've done that a few times, but have had many more failures than successes.

One thing we used to do when I was a kid - a bunch of us kids would trap steelhead in shallow water and crowd them up to the bank where we could kick them on to land. We'd do this on the upper reaches of Lake Superior streams. Not an elegant way of fishing, but they tasted the same. Also, not legal.

We also used to get suckers with pitch forks - when they were spawning, but anyone can do this. Trouble was, we'd always get too many. Far as I know, this is legal.

I was out paddling with the wife a few years back. We were on a wilderness lake, and Wing remarked it would have been nice to have brought a fish rod as she was hankering for fish. About that time, I noticed something on the water in front of us. I thought it was a turtle, so paddled over to see. Turned out to be a four pound northern sunning himself. I took my paddle, turned the blade so it was knife edge down, and wacked the northern on the head. We ate good that night.

I was telling a game warden friend of mine about it, and he told me, "That is illegal, you know." I laughed at him and told him, "Any fish I can catch by hitting it with a stick - is mine!"

Smok
01-13-2008, 12:08 AM
OOO Right :eek::eek: :confused:

canid
01-13-2008, 12:12 AM
...I've been monkying with this for years, and have about 10 yards of line...

sounds like my progress :D

AdventureDoc
01-13-2008, 02:31 AM
For hooks, my grandfather used to use two different things found in nature, a thorn, or a small piece of bone. The thorn would have a "hook" shape, and the bone would be straight, pointed at both ends, and tied in the center, with the line looped around one end. Of course, he was a naturally good fisherman, and didn't need much of anything to catch fish.

RBB-- Just so you know...I hate guys like that. I knew a few people that could get a fish with a pound of tea and a stick of gum. Hated them, too! :)

Seriously, how many people believe that fishing is a bit more than skill? Luck? Ability? Natural talent? I grew up fishing. I did some damage in the local lakes, too. Roosevelt, Apache, Gulf of California and Pacific off Baja were my areas. I was good, then I guess I peaked at the age of 12-14 years.

I couldn't buy a fish after that. I still can't. :mad:

I think there is something about "familiarity with the area" that just can't be beat.

Ohh, RBB, one more thing...I bet that fishing box you got is one of the coolest things in the world! :)

Smok
01-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Doc what did you do at 12 to 14 that you do not do now ?? and I do mean fishing ..Not ..what ever :o

AdventureDoc
01-13-2008, 03:23 AM
I have been spending the last 20 years trying to figure that out! Both my Dad and I had some great years, fishing wise. Killed 'em! Then, a long, long slump. Maybe we got more into the "time out" than the actual catching of fish. You know what I mean?

Sure, I still get a few, but nothing like what I see my buddies pulling in.

Maybe it is a "bruce lee" style family curse that I must bear, for the good of my future generations. Maybe I lost some patience? :0

Anyway, it is still a great way to spend a morning...fish or not!