PDA

View Full Version : hey exploding earth

trax
11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
If you did this already and I missed it, my bad, tell me where it's posted and I'll look.

But, I'm thinking after reading your posts....give us a list of what you've been using so far, and describe the environment you're going out into. I'm sure you can get a lot more clear advice from those of us on board with that information. Your tenacity speaks volumes to me, but at times, so does your bullheadedness...flip side of the same coin.

Get some good information by giving some good information before you go out. Your knife question for instance, what's a good knife depends on what you're primarily using it for, a good general purpose knife doesn't always make a good skinner for instance. Then you have to look at your own budget, how much knife can you afford

The same is true for your shelter, bedding etc. What I need in November in Manitoba is a far cry from what you need in Florida, but if we know what you're heading out for, into and for how long , we can help you out better. And never give up, dude, you're getting there. I'm reading more positive stuff in all of your posts.

Beo
11-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah, what he said, come on tenderfoot give us more info.
(A tenderfoot is a term that came from mountainmen to describe someone that's new to the mountains and wilderness and never lived off the land before. It can be applied to anyone who is inexperienced.) This is not an insult as we were all new to this before, my son is a semi-tenderfoot :D:D:D as you are. But you are doing this alone and my hats off to you.

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
what ive been using? lol nothing really i been practicing my fires. i got a lighter, a plastic cord. a pot. a tent. a back pack. dry foods 2 crappy kitchen knives. a steel baton. my old equipt list is in my first post on colorado i am in the process of revising it and doing clothes shopping though. i think today i will make a list of all NON clothes equipt and post it up. but maybe as i order my clothes {they are verry expensive} i can make a post for each item (head, glove, pant, jacket) and you guys can give me your advice on which one is probably the best for the money. that will come later though there are SO many pieces of clothes between like 3 suppliers i have to go through... equipt list comes next. as for my terrain? pretty much all of western colorado will eventually be my ground. its gonna be SNOWY up there i am looking for high quality insulated dead grassy colored hunting clothes. insulated camo light weight boots. insulated long pants with good pockets pants and jacket must be durable of course. durable insulated jacket same color and a wool hat and a camo face mask. insulated rugged gloves that i can fire my bow with too. i will start "camping" the weekend in unmarked western mountain territory and eventually when im ready i will stay close to my car. as i survive longer i will move further and further out until eventually i am totally lost in the mountains living in seclusion its not really a planned trip out for fun. i want to live in the mountains

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
this is pretty much everything. what dont i need? what am i missing? (clothes come later, not included in this list)

550 para cord
cooking pot
cup
binocular
baton
alice pack
magnesium OR steel and flint... which is best?
compass
thin metal survival blanket... possible uses?
microfiber towel (bathing, drying, blanket roofing etc.)
magnifying glass
spoon, fork, knife
utility knife (kabar i have in mind)
wool beanie
sniper veil
any warm undies i should know of?
long bow
(what kind of arrows, heads should i use?)
boot push blade
machete
tarp (does it come with strings?)
(should i carry a lightweight hatchet?)
sharpening stone (any suggestions? i dont know much about them)
fishing line (i will need the knowledge to make my own supplies sooner or later)
(should i have a mutlitool?)

Beo
11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
You forgot the pack mule... lol... :D

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 02:34 PM
yay im a tendOrfoot!

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 02:35 PM
all that crap will fit in my pack my tarp and wool blanket i forgot will roll up tied to the top or botton of my bag or wherever. weapons will hang on me

Beo
11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
550 para cord
cooking pot - WHY
cup
binocular - WHY
baton - NO NEED
alive pack - WTF IS THAT
magensium OR steel and flint... which is best? STEEL & FLINT
compass
thin metal survival blanket... possible uses? - NOPE
microfiber towwl (bathing, drying, blanket roofing etc.)
magnifying glass - NOPE
spoon, fork, knife - GET A MILITARY MESS KIT YOU CAN COOK IN THIS
utility knife (kabar i have in mind)
wool beanie - WHAT'S THE TEMP.
sniper veil - NOPE
any warm undies i should know of? - YEAH THERMAL
long bow - GREAT CHOICE
(what kind of arrows, heads should i use?) CEDAR ARROWS AND ZWIKI BROADHEADS
boot push blade - NOPE
machete - NOPE (HATCHET)
tarp (does it come with strings?) - 7'X'7 SEW IN LEATHER STRAPS
(should i carry a lightweight hatchet?) COVERED IT
sharpening stone (any suggestions? i dont know much about them)
fishing line (i will need the knowledge to make my own supplies sooner or later)
(should i have a mutlitool?) YES ALWAYS GOOD FOR STARTING OUT

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION BUT I ALWAYS PACK LIGHT, LOOK AT WEEKENDS COMING TO SEE WHAT I'M TAKNG FOR A THREE DAY OVERNIGHT CAMPING TRIP THIS WEEKEND (GUNS FOR HUNTING)

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 02:45 PM
you shouldnt kill for fun. rice and oats are your friend

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 02:47 PM
what chance would i have against a bear or pshyco without being properlly armed? i could seriously **** up a bear with a large baton and machete. without them i will get OWNED

Beo
11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
The bear will own your a** don't even think about it, the baton is waste, go to Weekends Coming" thread in Primitive section and look at my load out.

owl_girl
11-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Mag glasses make awesome fire starters on a sunny day.
Magnesium is slightly easier to start a fire with but if you live where there’s a lot of natural flint laying around I’d go with natural flint and steel but if not I’d go with Magnesium, you could always take both since there small. I personally think a cooking pot is a good idea. A machete is not proper defense from a bear. Those are my thoughts.

Beo
11-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Hey Bearbait, can I film the batle of Explodingearth vs. Bear and play it on wilderness battles by Beowulf65 :D lol... lol...

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 03:11 PM
dude i could bash a grizzlies skull in with one full force whack. how is that a waste?? you might choose to be defenseless but i dont. also they are to quickly kill my prey. arrows, boom concussion and head chop. dead with minimal pain

trax
11-08-2007, 03:11 PM
ease up on him bro, he's trying :) Serioulsy, double e, we've had this conversation how many times I don't know, your chances of winning ANY fight with a bear are pretty much nil.

A fine diamond sharpening stone or combination hard and soft Arkansas stones are good choices. You don't need a snipers veil, I'm not a bowhunter, but if you go to the guys that sell that stuff, they'll give you good advice. That little tiny "metal" survival blanket...spread it out on the floor of your tent, shiniest side up. Lose the baton and keep plenty of the 550 paracord, when you have to cut lengths, make sure you cut lengths that are re-usable, it'll be all the string/rope you'll need. Fishing line----take some hooks too.

About your clothes....camouflage only matters to human, worry more about the insulation capabilities than the color. Hatchet or machete, not both, my vote's with the hatchet.

Boot push blade...totally unnecessary. Clothes don't have to be really expensive, a few layers of cheap clothes are going to keep you warmer than one layer of some really high end name brand stuff. Layer up, natural materials (wool, cotton) pretty much work the best. You never mentioned what you're wearing for boots, waterproof and insulated is essential in bad weather anywhere in North America and keep plenty of thick wool socks handy.

I agree with owl_girl on the magnifying glass

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 03:15 PM
push blade would be quick defense for a human if needed. cool trax, im still working on my clothes list :P

Beo
11-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Awe okay I'll ease up... I was only joking round wit him :( Anyway those are all good choices made by Trax... hmmm, sounds familiar to what I said. EE listen I'm only kidding with you cause I know ya can take my joking (always have) without getting mad, dude ya have come so far since your first post and it warms my lil ole heart to know that maybe some of banter and info might have helped ya. I just don't want ya carrying anything into the bush ya don't need as it adds the weight.
WHAT IS THE ENVIRONMENT your heading into this time.

Beo
11-08-2007, 03:27 PM
EE, question are there bears in your region where you camp? If your in the swamps of Florida aren't your worries gators and snakes? Just asking as I'm not sure of your surroundings.

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 03:28 PM
for now just woods around my home. but i alrady said its the western colorado mountains

trax
11-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Double e....if you really really really really are threatened by a bear--shoot it. Lose the baton dude, and as for wild psycho rapist killers from hell invading your campsite, you're armed and have knives! Lose the boot blade dude, trust Uncle Trax on this stuff.

Beo, of course our advice was similar..two geniuses...one room...go figure.

LOLOLOLOL.

Beo
11-08-2007, 03:36 PM
For the bears in Colorado read this by the:
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Mountain-Prairie Region, P.O. Box 25486
Lakewood, Colorado 80225
phone 303/236-7905, fax 303/236-3815

Bear Spray vs. Bullets
Which offers better protection? Firat of all there have only been ten attacks on humans in the State of Colorado in past fifteen years so as a hiker and camper your chances of a bear attack are less likely than having an accicdent on your way to the airport. Now that having been said ;ets look at the difference of sprays vs. bullets.
At first glance, this question may seem like a no-brainer. After all, aren’t guns made to kill, while pepper spray (so-called “bear spray,” when it comes in big cans) does not? Unlike an attack by a human assailant, who may be able to use your own weapon against you, that safety/survival argument for using pepper spray doesn’t apply to a human-bear encounter... or does it? When it comes to self defense against grizzly bears, the answer is not as obvious as it may seem. In fact,
experienced hunters are surprised to find that despite the use of firearms against a charging bear, they were attacked and badly hurt. Evidence of human-bear encounters even suggests that shooting a bear can escalate the seriousness of an attack, while encounters where firearms are not used are less likely to result in injury or death of the human or the bear. While firearms can kill a bear, can a bullet kill quickly enough -- and can the shooter be accurate enough -- to prevent a dangerous, even fatal, attack? The question is not one of marksmanship or clear thinking in the face of a growling bear, for even a skilled marksman with steady nerves may have a slim chance of deterring a bear attack with a gun. Law enforcement agents for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have experience that supports this reality --based on their investigations of human-bear encounters since 1992, persons encountering grizzlies and defending themselves with firearms suffer injury about 50% of the time. During the same period, persons defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time, and those that were injured experienced shorter duration attacks and less severe injuries. Canadian bear biologist Dr. Stephen Herrero reached similar conclusions based on his own research -- a person’s chance of incurring serious injury from a charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear spray is used. Awareness of bear behavior is the key to mitigating potential danger. Detecting signs of a bear and avoiding
interaction, or understanding defensive bear behaviors, like bluff charges, are the best ways of escaping injury. The Service supports the pepper spray policy of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee, which states that bear spray is not a substitute for following proper bear avoidance safety techniques, and that bear spray should be used as a deterrent only in an aggressive or attacking confrontation with a bear. Like seatbelts, bear spray saves lives. But just as seatbelts don’t make driving off a bridge safe, bear spray is not a shield against deliberately seeking out or attracting a grizzly bear. No deterrent is 100% effective, but compared to all others, including firearms, proper use of bear spray has proven to be the best method for fending off threatening and attacking bears, and for preventing injury to the person and animal involved. Because the grizzly bear is federally protected in the Lower 48 States as a threatened species, it is a violation of the
Endangered Species Act (ESA) to shoot one, except in self defense and defense of others during an imminent attack. Penalties under the ESA include up to 6 months in prison and a $100,000 fine. Additional penalties mayalso apply to violations of state law. For more information about bear spray and its effectiveness, see: http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/wildlife/igbc

Ton more info on bears in Colorado at this site, but for now forsake those things and work on woodscraft.

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 03:43 PM
i can take down a bear with a bow? im not very sure of their power (the bows) what if its a glancing blow on its skull and it doesnt stop? i can always reswing a melee.

Beo
11-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes a long will take a bear down but its all about shot placement, the bow if hunting big game should be no less than 65lb draw weight.

Beo
11-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Been in the forests for many years and never ran into a psycho, drug dealer and poacher yeah, no psycho's. Fear of that stuff is fluffed up in the media, movies, and books. Most killers aren't running around the deep forests and mountains of Colorado, maybe the long lonely stretches road in Teaxs, Nevada, or Arizonia, or New Mexico but then they're usually hunting for women (no offense).

owl_girl
11-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Been in the forests for many years and never ran into a psycho, drug dealer and poacher yeah, no psycho's. Fear of that stuff is fluffed up in the media, movies, and books. Most killers aren't running around the deep forests and mountains of Colorado, maybe the long lonely stretches road in Teaxs, Nevada, or Arizonia, or New Mexico but then they're usually hunting for women (no offense).

I’ve ran into psychos on hiking trails but I wasn’t in the middle of no where, it was close to the road. There’s a hiking trail I really want to try out but it has a bad reputation for psychos, the entrance is near the highway and a lot of creeps hang out on it. There have been a few resent accounts of rape of that trail.

trax
11-08-2007, 04:20 PM
i can take down a bear with a bow? im not very sure of their power (the bows) what if its a glancing blow on its skull and it doesnt stop? i can always reswing a melee.

Some people only hunt bears and only with a bow. I disapprove, personally, but the person to ask here is probably Lady Trapper, she knos bearhunting. I agree with Beowulf again though (surprise) practice your basic woodcraft first, worry about those things farther on down the road. It might take you a little time but Colorado isn't going anywhere antime soon

explodingearth
11-08-2007, 04:38 PM
dont worry owl girl ill protect you! lets go hiking :P

owl_girl
11-08-2007, 07:22 PM
dont worry owl girl ill protect you! lets go hiking :P

Yay, I feel safer already :D.

I think Beo is right though, most psychos you won’t find in the wilderness. The reason that one hiking trail has such a bad problem is because it’s right on the outskirts of a big city.

Beo
11-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Set the psycho up with a sting operation, hike down the trail and when the guy tries something pull your ccw .44mag and blow his head off..... Ahh crap wrong thread!! LOL :D

Stealth
11-08-2007, 09:08 PM
if you are really worried about bears, steal a baby one, train it to grow into a superfightingmachine, and have that defend you against all other threats. or you could carry bear spray if you so desire... but not nearly as fun as the first choice.

marberry
11-09-2007, 01:20 AM
if your worried about rapists you really shouldn't go down that trail, or at least go in a group as far as ccw .44mag id rather have a good ol .454 Casull anyday or maby evn a .50 S&W

FVR
11-09-2007, 01:58 AM
I see this must be the comedy forum.

owl_girl
11-09-2007, 02:36 AM
if your worried about rapists you really shouldn't go down that trail, or at least go in a group as far as ccw .44mag id rather have a good ol .454 Casull anyday or maby evn a .50 S&W

Don’t worry I wasn’t going to go alone, I’d go with a group or my brother who looks like a big hairy mountain man and would be pretty discouraging lol. But I’m sure I’ll be just fine so long as I’m in a group, I’m not to worried about it, I can’t live life hiding under my bed and I refuse to let the jerks of the world scare me into living like that… just so long as I take precautions.

SemperParatus
11-09-2007, 11:35 AM
How about instead of the baton you cut yourself a good stout walking staff. There's a really good book for free download about stick fighting. I'll see if I can find the link for you. If not, maybe I can just send you the file. The walking staff will help you get around and can be a pretty formidable weapon. Ever hear of Buford Pusser? He was the Shelby County, Tn. (think Memphis) sheriff in the movie "Walking Tall".

The beauty of the staff is that it's non threatening until needed. I understand that as long as it's 100 percent wood you can even take it on an airplane. Not totally sure on that one though as I don't fly. No fear of it, just not going to subject myself to the big brother methods voluntarily. You can always cut a staff and discard as convenient and it can even be emergency firewood. Best of all,,,it's free.

SemperParatus
11-09-2007, 06:32 PM
OK,,,here's the link I promised:
http://www.watery.co.uk/misc/The%20Walking%20Stick%20Method%20of%20Self%20Defen ce.pdf
It's a direct download for the PDF file. Sarge,,It's not spam. I have really crappy bandwidth and already had the download but I downloaded it anyway to check it out before posting this link.
This is NOT presented as a defense against bears.

Smok
11-09-2007, 10:13 PM
The cook pot to clean water is good . But why are you so concerned about people coming in to heiress you??? As for bears you eat and move keep a clean camp hang your food up in a tree do not camp where others have camped bears have found food there in the past and they will come back to look for more . The parks tail you to camp in designated areas but if you cannot be seen from the trail you Will parable be fine.

flandersander
11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I have used a machete in the bush for years and would recomend it over a hatchet. I would honestly take a large axe. Not a splitting maul but something that weighs about 2-3lbs and a machete. The machete is the perfect tool for cutting kindling out of logs. A sniper viel? It is called a snipers gillie. And I would definatly recomend it. I suppose that I am the only bow hunter in this convo. It is EXTREMELY difficult to sneak up on a deer or any game for that matter. If you don't use a tree stand you don't have a chance. a snipers gillie would be perfect. but don't buy a canvas one. they are heavy and hot. buy a paintball sniper gillie. they are light and cool.

Nativedude
11-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Exploding Earth,

First of all. . .if you can get close enough to hit a bear in the head. . .you're DEAD! :eek: I would not even contemplate fighting with a bruin! Concentrate more on learning your wilderness skills and surviving the elements. Those are gonna get you faster than any bear will.

Get a good "Fixed blade" knife. One with a full tang blade (the steel runs all the way to the end of the handle. . .like the one shown below.) A multi-tool, a "GOOD" multi-tool (get one with a saw blade on it,) is invaluable in the back country, especially for a green-horn!

For thermals "FORGET COTTON". . ."COTTON KILLS!!" Get a wool/polypropylene blend or silk thermals. If it gets really cold they will keep you warm. . .if it get too warm you can strip down to them and you will be comfortable. The thermals that are 100% synthetic are no good close to a campfire. They can burn and/or melt.

Wool socks are the ticket for your feet. Get 2 pair to take. If they do get wet you can change them and let the wet ones dry.

You should always carry at least 3 different ways to start a fire, i.e; lighter, magnifying lens, magnesiun fire stick. Flint & steel is a good way and you should take them along to practice, but being a green-horn, don't rely only on this method. Get experience with the flint & steel first. A lighter, mag. lens, magnesium stick are 3 pretty basic ways to start a fire, even for a green-horn.

Get a 1# coffee can (billy Can.) It can be used to collect and boil water. A 32 oz. Nalgene bottle (shown below) fits inside the "billy can" and is a great place to pour the boiled water to let it cool.

A hatchet is a good tool to carry too. But if you have a fixed blade knife and a multi-tool, the hatchet is kind of redundant and extra un-necessary weight.

550 para-cord "IS A MUST!!" So useful for so many things.

A wool blanket and 2 - 4 3mil contractor trash bags (used for shelter, rain wear, etc.) They can also be used for bedding or as a blanket, etc. (available @ Home Depot)

A "GOOD" topographic map and compass are essentials on any hike or trek. Practice with them and know how to use them.

The best piece of advice I can give you is: "practice with these items before you go out into the woods - Nativedude!"

Nativedude
11-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Exploding Earth,

First of all. . .if you can get close enough to hit a bear in the head. . .you're DEAD! :eek: I would not even contemplate fighting with a bruin! Concentrate more on learning your wilderness skills and surviving the elements. Those are gonna get you faster than any bear will. And Beowulf is right on with this quote:

Firat of all there have only been ten attacks on humans in the State of Colorado in past fifteen years so as a hiker and camper your chances of a bear attack are less likely than having an accicdent on your way to the airport.

Get a good "Fixed blade" knife. One with a full tang blade (the steel runs all the way to the end of the handle. . .like the one shown below.) A multi-tool, a "GOOD" multi-tool (get one with a saw blade on it,) is invaluable in the back country, especially for a green-horn!

For thermals "FORGET COTTON". . ."COTTON KILLS!!" Get a wool/polypropylene blend or silk thermals. If it gets really cold they will keep you warm. . .if it get too warm you can strip down to them and you will be comfortable. The thermals that are 100% synthetic are no good close to a campfire. They can burn and/or melt.

Wool socks are the ticket for your feet. Get 2 pair to take. If they do get wet you can change them and let the wet ones dry.

You should always carry at least 3 different ways to start a fire, i.e; lighter, magnifying lens, magnesiun fire stick. Flint & steel is a good way and you should take them along to practice, but being a green-horn, don't rely only on this method. Get experience with the flint & steel first. A lighter, mag. lens, magnesium stick are 3 pretty basic ways to start a fire, even for a green-horn.

Get a 1# coffee can (billy Can.) It can be used to collect and boil water. A 32 oz. Nalgene bottle (shown below) fits inside the "billy can" and is a great place to pour the boiled water to let it cool.

A hatchet is a good tool to carry too. But if you have a fixed blade knife and a multi-tool, the hatchet is kind of redundant and extra un-necessary weight.

A wool blanket and 2 - 4 3mil contractor trash bags (used for shelter, rain wear, etc.) They can also be used for bedding or as a blanket, etc. (available @ Home Depot)

A "GOOD" topographic map and compass are essentials on any hike or trek. Practice with them and know how to use them.

The best piece of advice I can give you is: "practice with these items before you go out into the woods - Nativedude!"

Nativedude
11-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Exploding Earth,

First of all. . .if you can get close enough to hit a bear in the head. . .you're DEAD! :eek: I would not even contemplate fighting with a bruin! Concentrate more on learning your wilderness skills and surviving the elements. Those are gonna get you faster than any bear will. And Beowulf is right on with this quote:

First of all there have only been ten attacks on humans in the State of Colorado in past fifteen years so as a hiker and camper your chances of a bear attack are less likely than having an accident on your way to the airport.