PDA

View Full Version : Water Vines

Pict
12-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Water Vines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hluMEWyrUxw)

Today I got out to the bush with my good friend Giuliano. Giuliano is a fellow bushcraft and wilderness survival nut. We've been writing back and forth all year and this was the first time we got out to the bush together. It has been great to trade information with him as there is nothing written on bushcraft here in Central Brazil (yet).

Today he took the time to point out water vines to me. I have been testing vines for a long time knowing that they are here in Central Brazil. Most vines here are filled with dangerous white latex. I've always been very conservative with vines I've found filled with water.

The correct water vine is a great survival resource. The water has already been filtered through the roots of the plant so you can drink it straight from the vine. The water is very sweet and goes down easy.

Mac

crashdive123
12-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Very cool. Nice vid.

smhg
12-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey Mac, I'd love to know more...is this something we can grow on our own property here? Do you have any info? Where did you go? Sounds like you are all settled back in. My husband have been talking about some good natural water sources and this sound interesting. Thanks!

2dumb2kwit
12-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks, Mac!

Pict
12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I doubt it would be profitable to try to grow them but they are very prolific in the Mata Atlantica (East coast rainforest). The vines with the little thorns on them are loaded with water but it is positively vile to drink. When you cut the vine if it has a cloverleaf pattern to the wood and any kind of milky sap stop there, go no further, do not drink it, not even a taste. These vines have light colored bark and smell really good when cut (subtle), the water tastes sweet like you'd like a whole liter of it.

In the dry season these same vines are very dry but now they are filled, especially down by the river where we were. We were near the town of Rio Acima, MG. Mac

Ken
12-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Mac, that was a great video!

Now, can you tell us how to locate "Beer Vines?" :innocent:

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Anyone know of a similar vine in North America?

2dumb2kwit
12-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Anyone know of a similar vine in North America?

Water vine......or beer vine?:innocent:

rwc1969
12-06-2009, 11:54 AM
We can cut wild grapevines here in MI in the spring during morel season and get water from them.

I cut one just to see and it dripped for days. One actually poured a steady stream of clear liquid. I tasted it and it was lik ewater. I've yet to consume more than a taste though.

I told my buddy you can drink this and he just gave me a weird look and said "have at it. no thanks!".

smhg
12-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I doubt it would be profitable to try to grow them but they are very prolific in the Mata Atlantica (East coast rainforest). The vines with the little thorns on them are loaded with water but it is positively vile to drink. When you cut the vine if it has a cloverleaf pattern to the wood and any kind of milky sap stop there, go no further, do not drink it, not even a taste. These vines have light colored bark and smell really good when cut (subtle), the water tastes sweet like you'd like a whole liter of it.

In the dry season these same vines are very dry but now they are filled, especially down by the river where we were. We were near the town of Rio Acima, MG. Mac

Thanks Mac! After I asked the question I watched the video and realized just how ignorant my question was :-)

Pict
12-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks Mac! After I asked the question I watched the video and realized just how ignorant my question was :-)

No such thing as a bad question, only bad answers. Mac