PDA

View Full Version : A Way To Find Water

Nath1985
12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Food is not your most important priority in a survival situation, You can last 4 minuies without air, 4 days without water, 4 weeks without food.

An easy way to collect water is to get up early in the morning and using a bandanna or a shemagh, collect due from leaves, grass, etc.

try not to drink water from snow without boiling it first. Your body uses a lot more callories when eating snow that will need to be replaced by food and in a survival situation you want to conserve all the energy you have for when you need it.

crashdive123
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Ummmmm - Rule of 4's?

Ken
12-02-2009, 07:16 PM
You can last 4 minuies without air.........

But by then, some people will suffer irreversible moderate to severe brain damage............ :innocent:

Resuscitation after longer than 4 to 6 minutes at normal body temperature typically results in irreversible brain injury, coma, or death.

Ken
12-02-2009, 07:17 PM
http://www.memorylossonline.com/glossary/hypoxiaanoxia.html

Boker
12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
But by then, some people will suffer irreversible moderate to severe brain damage............ :innocent:

Resuscitation after longer than 4 to 6 minutes at normal body temperature typically results in irreversible brain injury, coma, or death.

Its ok, we can send 'em to law school. :)

Rick
12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Its ok, we can send 'em to law school.

Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are!!

Ummmmm - Rule of 4's

Inflation.

Ken
12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Its ok, we can send 'em to law school. :)

:sneaky2::sneaky2::sneaky2:

Ken
12-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are!!

Oh yeah? :sneaky2:

Rick
12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
As I said, I don't care........who you are.

Ken
12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
As I said, I don't care........who you are.

Well, don't call me for bail. Next time. :innocent:

Rick
12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Uh....What I meant to say......I mean.......I have to go. Some posts need to be deleted.

klkak
12-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Food is not your most important priority in a survival situation, You can last 4 minuies without air, 4 days without water, 4 weeks without food.

An easy way to collect water is to get up early in the morning and using a bandanna or a shemagh, collect due from leaves, grass, etc.

try not to drink water from snow without boiling it first. Your body uses a lot more callories when eating snow that will need to be replaced by food and in a survival situation you want to conserve all the energy you have for when you need it.

HEY!!! When did the "rule of 3's" change to the "rule of 4"? Why wasn't I notified? This is and outrage!!!:drool:

Nath1985
12-02-2009, 09:04 PM
err. I was just testing you.

You passed.

oly
12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
err. I was just testing you.

You passed.

Law school???:)

owl_girl
12-02-2009, 10:11 PM
you dont need to boil the snow just melt it and if you can warm it but snow is usually pure enough without boiling. boiling is just needed for sanitizing

your_comforting_company
12-03-2009, 09:16 AM
warming the water is key.. your body has a temperature that must be regulated.. by drinking cold water, your body must burn calories to warm it up. To my knowledge that is the only reason... calories.. the only thing that matters at the end of the day ;) just my 2 cents

Ole WV Coot
12-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I COULD tell you how to locate water and other stuff but I would wind Rick's watch. It's like beating a dead horse so I will pass this time.

wareagle69
12-09-2009, 08:55 AM
you dont need to boil the snow just melt it and if you can warm it but snow is usually pure enough without boiling. boiling is just needed for sanitizing

excellent point to bring up young lady but let me expand upon that.

when out in the cold your body does not send as much blood to your extremities, it keeps it close in to your core to protect the vital organs, now if you start eating cold snow directly, which yes you can by the way, just not in a situation where i know i will not be able to get warm soon, but as you are ingesting cold snow it lowers your body temperature in your core which means that your body not only needs to burn more calories but more importantly it will restrict blood flow even more to your extremities and your brain but also lead you into hypothermia much more quiclkly.
maybe one of you smart fellers here can find my threads from last year on hypothermia

NightShade
12-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Collecting dew is a viable option.. I have done it before, it was rather a tedious task.. But I suppose I could got a lot of water if I was set up with a sponge and a bucket to wring it into.
Worth noting that your window of opportunity is limited to a relatively short time in the morning before dew evaporates.
Also.. Be aware of what plants you're collecting dew off of.... Steer clear of poisonous ones!.. Also don't even bother with this method if you're in an area that uses pesticides.

wareagle69
12-09-2009, 10:01 AM
once agian i can reference water back to learning plants a quick example would be impatiens capensis -spotted touch me not- jewelweed. any where i have found this plant has been in at least a moist enviroment if not downright wet area so anytime i see this plant i know that i can one-eat it when young- two cure the sting of nettle(and yes some say poison ivy, but persoanally have not yet tested this theory) and last if i do not see water then i dig down a bit and will produce water, let it settle a bit then scoop out or slurp out some water.
so the point is, is to learn the area you play in, what grows in sand , clay, water marsh swamp, and so on that way you know if i find such and such tree or plant the companion to this is.........it will tell ya allot just by stopping and observing

owl_girl
12-09-2009, 11:42 AM
excellent point to bring up young lady but let me expand upon that.

when out in the cold your body does not send as much blood to your extremities, it keeps it close in to your core to protect the vital organs, now if you start eating cold snow directly, which yes you can by the way, just not in a situation where i know i will not be able to get warm soon, but as you are ingesting cold snow it lowers your body temperature in your core which means that your body not only needs to burn more calories but more importantly it will restrict blood flow even more to your extremities and your brain but also lead you into hypothermia much more quiclkly.
maybe one of you smart fellers here can find my threads from last year on hypothermia

yes thats true but you would only need to get it hot. boiling it would only make you have to wait a bit longer to drink it.

by the way where did you go you seemed to disappear for a while. its nice to see you.

wareagle69
12-09-2009, 11:48 AM
ah the ol eagle was out living life learning training experimenting, keeping it real, so as to be able to help others, also shifted my focus a bit on emergency preparedness, see my blog that i have just statred. also got a new horse so been busy traiining her for the bush, nice to know i was missed

Old GI
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
As far as Bug-In, one remaining task (of the many) for me is power for the well. Ground water is scarce in these parts. Small generator, full house generator, wind mill, solar, etc.?