PDA

View Full Version : Bug spray?

thinkfree3
04-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I went an slept under the stars the other night, it didn't take long for the mosquitoes to find me because i'd been eating bananas (your more likly to get bit after eating bananas for some reason, maybe other fruits 2 but i've always heard it was banana's) Anyway i got up and went in search for some Wax myrtle http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/Image334.gif (for a picture) I crushed up the leafs and put them all around my sleeping bag and rubbed some on my hat. I forgot to rub some on one of my hands so they bit that hand a bunch after i went to sleep but other then that i didn't have a problem. I figured i should let yall know though that wax myrtle is a natural bug repelent and works pretty decent. you just gotta crush the leafs up good. I think the younger leafs tend to work better but you can try different stuff an see what works for you. I think i'm going to try filling a sock or something with them and throw that in with my laundry and see if my clothes come out repelling bugs. If you use regular detergent then this might not work near as well. (side not try to shop for detergents that are biodegradable and nontoxic, they work just as well but they are better on the enviroment.)
I'll let you know how that little test goes. Also Vitamin B will make the bugs not want to bite as much... an then if your going to be in the bush for a while, a garlic clove a day keeps the skeeters away but i wouldn't recomend that around friends. If you own the woods.. or maybe even if you don't bat boxes are great for reducing the number of mosquitoes... well the bats are at least but the bat boxes help attract them.
Anyone else have ideas on how to repel the pest?

bumblingoutback
04-30-2007, 05:14 PM
I am a nutrition educator and my diet is pretty pure, just whole organically grown foods and very light on the animal products. I eat a lot of fresh herbs and garlic, and I've noticed that that DOES seem to make the difference for how much they go after me. You could probably used aged garlic (good for immune function and digestion and suitable even for people who can't digest fresh garlic) as well as oregano pills. I'm all for natural ways to keep the bugs away as the smell of bug spray makes me sick to my stomach.

thinkfree3
05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
cool beans, thanks for the tips.

Go_army2
05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
all so if you eat wild garlic or something of that nature after a while (of eat them) your skin will have a affect on the bugs and they'll stop biting