PDA

View Full Version : whats a good all around knife oil?

Bladen
11-28-2009, 04:10 PM
whats a good all around knife oil?
can i use gun oil?

is it bad to use oil on some knives?

how often should i oil them?

almost all of my knives will be on display or left in a box. i want to make sure they are left in good condition.

any thoughts how often i should oil the knives i use are welcome as well.

thanks guys and gals,

Boker
11-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Not trying to thread jack, but along those lines of questioning....Could a light weight motor oil be used when sharpening?

scabbyota
11-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I use my better half's baby oil it's usually what I can find first. I have used gun oil and it worked fine.

Rick
11-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Bladen - I use food grade mineral oil on my knives. That way, if the knife is used on any kind of meat - from field dressing to butchering to slicing off some SPAM (Mmmm) for dinner - it won't be ruined by the oil on your knife. Motor oil or other petroleum based lubricants can taint the meat.

As to how often, I clean, resharpen and lubricate the blade every time I come in from the field. That way it's ready to go any time I need it and I won't have to worry about a carbon blade rusting (well, not as much anyway).

Camp10
11-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Rick beat me to it..a food grade mineral oil is best. For a knife that is going to be displayed I would be fine using a gun oil like Rem oil. It will keep things clean and rust free longer but if it might see usage, use mineral oil!

pocomoonskyeyes
11-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Well if it is going to be stored for a long time, I would use a light coat of Petroleum Jelly. It will last a lot longer than the oils,and less likely to be rubbed off allowing rust to set in. Otherwise I would go with what the others have said. When you pull it out of storage alcohol would be able to remove the PJ, followed by re-lubricating it with the food grade mineral oil. But PJ is safe to use as well around food.

crashdive123
11-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Mineral oil for me as well. If you are not going to use them and only display them, once is probably enough. For my carbon steel knives that I'm using when camping/hiking I usually put a light coat on after the trip. If I need to oil them during the trip I usually have a little olive oil with me for cooking.

Bladen
11-28-2009, 07:20 PM
outstanding advice everybody.

thanks a ton.
this site always amazes me.

Rick
11-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Poco offered up a really good alternative. You may or may not know this but petroleum jelly can also be ingested with no harm. It's inert.

The inventor of Vaseline lived to be 101 years old and was such a believer in Vaseline that he claimed to have eaten a spoonful of it every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Chesebrough

Boker
11-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Poco offered up a really good alternative. You may or may not know this but petroleum jelly can also be ingested with no harm. It's inert.

The inventor of Vaseline lived to be 101 years old and was such a believer in Vaseline that he claimed to have eaten a spoonful of it every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Chesebrough

I'm pretty sure the comment I have for that will get me banned forever. Perhaps I'll consult legal council first. :phone:

Chrs
11-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I use Mineral Oil know because of Rick's suggestion a while back :) works great

pocomoonskyeyes
11-28-2009, 11:01 PM
The only caution I would offer is that both Mineral Oil and Petroleum Jelly, can loosen the bowels in large enough quantities. That's a good thing ONLY if you are constipated. Mineral Oil is used in Horses to treat "Impaction Colic"... basically it's constipation in horses, but can kill them. Just a little FYI in case you ever need to know.... Or decide to eat a container of PJ to prolong lifespan.:innocent::blushing:

panch0
11-29-2009, 01:26 AM
I am a mineral oil user too.

Bladen
11-29-2009, 01:44 AM
i just noticed how my title reads on the main page.

"whats a good all around knife..." and it left out the "oil" part.

i just wanted to say thanks for reading this thread even though it might have looked like another-whats the best knife?-thread!

i dunno.
it made me chuckle when i noticed it.

your_comforting_company
11-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Poco hit the nail on the head. Display knives get Vaseline. I also use it on my gun for rainy days. Knives you use get mineral oil or food grade machine oil. For sharpening and honing, I use Smiths oil, Hoppes gun oil, 3-in-1 oil, and in a pinch have used vegetable cooking oil. be sure to clean off the oil after sharpening if you intend to use it on game.

Rick
11-29-2009, 09:44 AM
On my guns, I use car wax. I happen to use Turtle Wax ICE but any car wax will work. It helps seal the metal and wood against oxidation and water penetration. I had an old gunsmith suggest it to me and I've been using it ever since. I would think you could do similar for display knives if you know you'll never actually use them.

rwc1969
11-29-2009, 11:57 PM
yuo know, I'm very picky about ingesting chemicals, but have always just used a thin layer of 3 in 1 oil on all my metal stuff, knives included. Never really considered that I might be poisoning myself. I will have to get me some mieral oil.

mcgyver
11-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I learned this little trick from a Tracking school I attended.
The oil from the base of your nose, right there by your nostril. Enough from each side for each side of your blade. Not Vaseline, but you will always have it with you in the field.
Kind of gross, but ear wax protects steel pretty good.

Rick
12-01-2009, 09:02 AM
"You can use my knife."

(Looks at Mcgyver. Looks at knife then back at Mcgyver)

"Uh, no thanks. Do you have a rock handy?"

mcgyver
12-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Opps!
I guess I've given away my secret for keeping hold of my knives for years and years.
Nobody steals 'em.

crashdive123
12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
So do the blades have a green patina?:lol:

Ole WV Coot
12-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Display only, use Break Free spray. I never tried to eat it but it's a nice dry lube. I don't use salt and can handle guns & knives without leaving rusty fingerprints. How much salt you ingest makes a difference handling carbon steel. Get or make a glass display case. Everyone wants to hold the knife, check how sharp and generally play with it. Watch desiccant, one grain can eat a spot out of steel. Free advice with a money back guarantee.

finallyME
12-03-2009, 02:46 PM
As far as the actual knife is concerned, any oil will work. Cooking, motor, baby etc. But what you use it for can be important, as others have mentioned.

survivalpro#4
04-20-2010, 07:55 PM
rem oil works great

Swamprat1958
04-21-2010, 08:40 AM
yuo know, I'm very picky about ingesting chemicals, but have always just used a thin layer of 3 in 1 oil on all my metal stuff, knives included. Never really considered that I might be poisoning myself. I will have to get me some mieral oil.

I am picky as well and have used 3 in 1 oil for 40 years without a problem. "SO "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT".