PDA

View Full Version : Setting the nephew up for fishin'

Winnie
11-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I've just bought my 11yr old great nephew his first fishing pole and a few rigs for christmas. Nothing fancy, just 4metre telescopic pole and 1/2 doz rigs. He's been desperate to learn to fish but his dad has no patience with the boy when it comes to fishin' so good ole' auntie A has stepped into the breach. I'm hoping some time spent with me catching some tiddlers will help him with his concentration and aggression problems that seem to have sneaked in to his personality over the last 6mths or so. I'm also going to put a few I.O.U's in there, just so he knows I mean it. It's an important skill to have and all boys should be given the opportunity to get covered in bait, fish slime and mud! :)

Camp10
11-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Good for you and lucky for him!! Yeah, nothing like fish slime...What a good aunt you are!

nell67
11-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Way to go WInnie!!! I love fishing,and my oldest son and my grandson (3 y.o.) loves to fish as well,daughters good with it,the youngest son doesn't seem to care for it too much for now anyway.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I would like to volenteer to teach him how to make primitive fish hooks. However i may have some trouble "getting across the pond"

Winnie
11-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I would like to volenteer to teach him how to make primitive fish hooks. However i may have some trouble "getting across the pond"

Now that's an offer! It is a ways to come though:)

I love to fish, it's a family thing. We were all taught once old enough to stand and hold a stick!

2dumb2kwit
11-29-2009, 09:34 AM
It's an important skill to have and all boys should be given the opportunity to get covered in bait, fish slime and mud! :)

I agree 100%, and you're a good aunt, for making sure that he has that opportunity.

I'd say that's one more "atta girl" for Winnie.:clap:

Beo
11-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I gotta cosign on that 2D2k, well said Winnie.
I got some really nice handmade flys on here from Smok, wonder whatever happened to him? Good guy there. Anyway they are great, teach him to make his own flys, time well spent and alot if fun.

Beo,

rwc1969
11-29-2009, 11:55 PM
That's cool Winnie. My ma stepped in when my dad died, and although she had no clue about fishing or hunting she put forth the effort and it got me hooked on the outdoors. I prolly woulda been in prison or dead by now if not for the great outdoors and having my mom and uncles to get me into it.

crashdive123
11-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Way to go Winnie.

Winnie
11-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Unfortunately fly fishing is reserved for the rich over here. All Trout and Salmon rivers are "owned" and you have to pay a small fortune for the privelidge of fishing there. There are a few Trout fisheries but again you have to pay, so it's coarse fishing with maggots and bread etc on the local boating lake but hey it's fishing!(and the upside is there's a little cafe that does the full English fry up or BACON SANDWICHES!!!)

Old GI
11-30-2009, 10:13 AM
BACON SANDWICHES!!!??? Can it get any better than that? I was very fortunate to grow up in an outdoorsy family and started fishing and hunting at very early ages. My parents weren't happy when my Grandfather and Uncle introduced me to O'Keefe Red Cap at 11 years old at the White Tail Lodge near Sudbury.

Winnie: You are such a grand lady. If the young man doesn't know enough to really thank you yet, I will.

crashdive123
11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Can you imagine what the run on fishing licenses would be like if a bacon flavored fish was discovered?

Old GI
11-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Can you imagine what the run on fishing licenses would be like if a bacon flavored fish was discovered?

Credit where credit is due. You are really on to something here!!! Too bad my fish biologist friend passed away a while ago.:drool:

oldsoldier
12-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Winnie... Good for you! Great for the nephew. Some of my greatest memories as a kid were fishing with my uncle. ( my father didn't have time for such nonsense) Not having any kids of my own, I loved taking a couple of my cousins boys fishing on the "farm" I had ( 125 acres) in western Ky. before I moved to Indiana and they moved back to Ohio. Enjoy the time, Remember that "your worse days fishing is much better than your best day at work"

redwoodfox
12-02-2009, 10:51 PM
i2300 i love fishing with my son. Some of my best times on the water

crashdive123
12-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Great looking kid you've got.

Rick
12-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Outstanding. Nice pic. He sure looks happy.

redwoodfox
12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
he was thrilled. his first shark all by himself

Stargazer
12-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I agree 100%, and you're a good aunt, for making sure that he has that opportunity.

I'd say that's one more "atta girl" for Winnie.:clap:

Got to agree with 2d on this one.I thinks its a great thing youre doing for your nephew.