PDA

View Full Version : High-Capacity Magazine May Signal Demise of SAW

Ken
11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
High-Capacity Magazine May Signal Demise of SAW

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2009/11/marine_iar_112209w/

aflineman
11-25-2009, 12:53 AM
We tried the M16 with the Beta-Mag MANY years ago. It just did not really work. Threw the balance way off, broke easily (mainly when going prone), and really burned out barrels. Don't get me wrong, there are places that it would come in handy (fixed locations, vehicles, and such), but I really don't think it can replace the SAW.
Our trials were to provide an intermediate weapon between the M16 and the M60, which is where the SAW sits. Maybe they need to speak with the Air Force (mainly Security Forces and RED HORSE/CE) before they spend to much on this.
We used them in field exercises, live fire training. Plus in Haiti and a couple of other places. Drop a Beta C mag a couple of times and they don't work anymore. Drop prone and into cover without smacking it on the ground; all it takes is once, and the tower is toast. The idea and concept has merit. Hopefully they work the bugs out before it gets fielded. From my first hand experience, I would have a hard time trusting that system.

Pal334
11-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Its an interesting idea, however like Aflineman indicated the ones I have seen so far are too delicate. I am sure the USMC has that "niche" need, but I doubt if a wide spread use would be needed. Also is adding bells and whistles, my tastes run more to simple

glockcop
11-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Delicate and easily broken IME. Besides, I'm sure a belt in a bag is ALOT easier to carry than a couple of those things. But then again, I'm sure an M4 is Alot easier to tote around than a SAW. Just MO. Stay safe, yall.

SARKY
11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
There is an upper out there that has quick change barrels so now your in a similar boat as the SAW The Armatec mag is presently aluminium but the new ones will be polymer. I think it is a better option than the SAW, as everyone is a rifleman then if you need a SAW gunner, he pops in the drum mag and wails away.