PDA

View Full Version : Hello, College Student from Michigan :-D

BSM
04-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Hello,
I have joined this forum to learn more about survival and what-if situations to enrich myself and my writing. Anyone who wants to talk about possible conditions if the world went to hell is very welcome. In short, I'm looking for inspiration.
Ciao,
BSM

thinkfree3
04-02-2007, 11:32 AM
worst case we all get nuked. The water would be poluted, the air would be poluted, the food would be poluted. Bad for everybody.

other possible conditions those are endless, a very realistic one to consider is that a town might loose water or power.

BSM
04-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Big town (New York, LA, etc.): Rooftops would be valuable. Rainwater, if not irradiated, could be collected in containers on the top. Also, if someone were planning for it, they could own a small windmill used to power farms back before the power-grid got to them. There would also be many vehicles with gasoline and diesel to scavenge from to run generators (beware competition). Also, Elevator and stair access doors can be barricaded, providing relative security to those living on the top floors.

Small town (<5000): Old-style hand crank wells would likely still exist somewhere, making water accessible if not easily accessible. Power would be much more difficult. The easiest solutions would be a nearby hydroelectric damn, or windmills. These not being highly likely, for a while people would just have to do without. Using wood-stoves and such to heat homes, and salt, smoking, and canning methods to preserve food. (This scenario is modeled with the TV show Jericho; I might have incorrectly spelled that.)

Any thoughts on the above would be nice.
Thanks,
BSM