PDA

View Full Version : Children vs. wild food

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-17-2009, 09:50 AM
for the last year i have worked with my 3 year old daughter to see what wild foods she would eat. she likes fish(if she catches them). she likes roasted maple seeds, beech nuts and poormans pepper. she likes all of the wild fruit s and berries, (crab apples, blue berries, raspberries ect).. she wont eat mushrooms or wild greens, (except for japoneese knot weed). in a survival situation, what foods would your children eat and how do you know that they like it?? if lost with your kids how would you feed them if they wont eat wild fare?

Bladen
11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
i would think that most any child would be alot less fussy after a day or two without food.

hunger is a pretty strong motivator.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-17-2009, 10:37 AM
hunger does help with getting over the wall where wild food is concerned. bitter and sour are the worst problems with plants, and if all you have is mealy worms, earth worms, scorpions?? my daughter refuses them completely. what does someone do in those cases when the people in need wont eat the food? there is a harsh reality we may starve ourselves, bescuse we wont/cant eat the food that is available. the retch response makes it impossible to consume it.

finallyME
11-17-2009, 11:23 AM
I am still trying to get my kids to eat normal food. We will work on survival food eventually.

In reality, they WILL eat it, one way or another. :smash:

canid
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
in a long enough emergency, children will eat anything, just like you yould.

Old GI
11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Two grandsons, 8 and 11, not only eat that stuff. They walk you around the NM farm and show you what's edible and what's not.

canid
11-17-2009, 12:07 PM
good kids.

trax
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Did the same thing with the oldest grandson that I've done with my boys, take them out in the bush with no food and just tell them "this is what we're eating" Pretty amazing how fast they adapt. With my grandson it was more of a challenge to get him to stop eating worms

hunter63
11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
The kids, when they were younger thought it was cool to eat wild stuff, and introduced their friends to it also........

On a hunting trip, I took several neighbor kids with us, came across an old apple orchard, picked some not so wormy apples, passed them out, and one little girl ask me "who do we have to pay?"
So many people have no idea where their food comes from.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I was introduced to wild foods at an early age. grass hoppers were/are my favorite food.

crashdive123
11-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Wild children are great to eat in an emergency.

trax
11-17-2009, 02:18 PM

But they're fast and they dart around everywhere ....hard to catch the little boogers...just sayin'

crashdive123
11-17-2009, 02:24 PM
But they're fast and they dart around everywhere ....hard to catch the little boogers...just sayin'

You've just got to use the right trap.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/abramsv/SMbNUKDv7ZI/AAAAAAAAd2c/jrvZ24EyJsQ/s640/weyerhghfgng.jpg

trax
11-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Gives "good kid" a whole new meaning doesn't it?

pocomoonskyeyes
11-17-2009, 03:02 PM

Ahh, So now I know why you were watching where my kids were playing at Jamboree!!!:(:sweatdrop::oops: LOL

Swamprat1958
11-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Mine are good on most wild game, fruits, berries and pecans. But I haven't tried any of the extreme wild foods with them yet. I think my son would be ok, but my daughter and wife would have to be very hungry to try invertebrates, heck they won't even try crawfish or shrimp.

canid
11-17-2009, 04:32 PM
btw: aren't those options pretty limited. most or none?

Old GI
11-17-2009, 04:51 PM
You've just got to use the right trap.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/abramsv/SMbNUKDv7ZI/AAAAAAAAd2c/jrvZ24EyJsQ/s640/weyerhghfgng.jpg

crash: You should be hearing the knock on your door. The men in white coats are there to help you.:innocent:

trax
11-17-2009, 05:10 PM
crash: You should be hearing the knock on your door. The men in white coats are there to help you.:innocent:

Oh yeah "we're from the government, we're here to help you" Never heard that one before:sneaky2:

crashdive123
11-17-2009, 05:21 PM

We're here to help. Where's the kitchen?

http://www.cscc.edu/update/images/Chefs.221.jpg

COWBOYSURVIVAL
11-17-2009, 05:23 PM
I must be blessed cause my little girl will do anything at dads simple request no back talk, seldom pouts, and overall just has a geniune desire to make me proud. If I took her in the bush today and simply explained we are gonna have to eat a grasshopper I am sure she would. But then she also still thinks she came from Dads belly. Boy have I got some splaining to do.

Rick
11-17-2009, 06:20 PM
My kids and grandkids are okay on the basics. Nuts, berries and some veggies. They don't care for "weird" stuff like grasshoppers or maggots. Can't say I blame them, frankly. However, one anyone, kid or adult, gets hungry enough everything starts looking good. It's a hoot to watch them eat nasturtiums. It never fails, they get this smile when they hit the sweetness and the bug eyes when they hit the peppery flavor. Pretty funny to watch.

canid
11-17-2009, 07:01 PM
i found a bunch of worms in one of my boletes. it was otherwise firm, so i looked around. nobody was watching. kept chopping. fried on the skillet.

no harm, no foul, but i've oficially inducted my lady into eating larvae.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-17-2009, 10:31 PM
good one canid!! rattatouis , you have to watch me with rice while camping...............

Rick
11-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Dear Canid's Lady....

Please read post 23. Just sayin'..........

oldsoldier
11-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Ya' know crash when I saw the title to this thread................:innocent:

oldsoldier
11-17-2009, 11:41 PM
i found a bunch of worms in one of my boletes.

You do know they have a treatment for that don't you:innocent:

oly
11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
My 2yr grandson eats worms, dandelions, salsify, dog and cat food.:innocent:

crashdive123
11-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Kids eat drit - wild edibles shouldn't be a stretch - just have another kid dare them.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-18-2009, 08:52 AM
my daughter likes alot of the wild plants, she loves to eat fish ,but frogs are on her "friends" list. so when i serve kermit we call him "Chicken legs"

Winnie
11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I haven't voted because Winnie jnr is a grown up now(allegedly) I encouraged him to try most things as a child, never made a fuss over things and he would at least try things. I have no doubt that if necessary he would have eaten whatever there was. We both have a bit of a problem with Rabbit though. After the divorce I was flat broke and the dog hunted and fed us and himself for about 6 months, there's only so many ways you can prepare a Rabbit. But I would eat it if necessary.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
A brace of coneys sounds good winnie....and if you have Asian Curry!! yes 'mam i will there 30 minutes early for supper!

Winnie
11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
A brace of coneys sounds good winnie....and if you have Asian Curry!! yes 'mam i will there 30 minutes early for supper!

Would Shepherds Pie do? Oh and strawberry crumble for pud:)

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-18-2009, 11:05 AM
hows about 30 minutes early with a humble donation!! that is my favorite meal.. shepheds pie! my wife makes an americanized version of it. i am sure yours doesnt make it to table before being gobbled up.

NCO
11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't have kid's yet so I can only tell of my self. When I was around 2yrs old my grandfather took me around his garden with a wheel barrow. He introduced me to everything edible in that garden and the little bush of a forest that grew nearby. What I have heard is, that I ate everything he gave to me. Including lingonberries, rowan berries and gooseberries. I was also often taken with them to so called "forest trips", which were few hour trips to the local forests to get us kids used to it. There I was further introduced to wild foods.

nell67
11-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Would Shepherds Pie do? Oh and strawberry crumble for pud:)
Shephards pie is good! Strawberry crumble sounds delightful,about that pud thing Winnie>>>>>>:blushing::blushing::blushing: I know some words have a whole different meaning across the pond!:sneaky2:

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I have always liked the wiloderness and wild food. i was raised in michigan, near lake superior.

nell67
11-18-2009, 11:21 AM
I haven't voted,since I have 3 kids,and what they eat is the difference between night and day,oldest son,no way would he eat anything wild other than a few berries,nuts,and asparagus,daughter will anything I put in front of her,and the youngest son will eat about half,one thing he refuses to eat? Blackberries,what a goober...

Winnie
11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Shephards pie is good! Strawberry crumble sounds delightful,about that pud thing Winnie>>>>>>:blushing::blushing::blushing: I know some words have a whole different meaning across the pond!:sneaky2:

Pud is an Englishism for pudding, or was it the crumble?

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Pud is an Englishism for pudding, or was it the crumble?

i think nell meant that we call it "desert" because we eat it just before abandoning the table (covered with dishes)

Winnie
11-18-2009, 11:41 AM
i think nell meant that we call it "desert" because we eat it just before abandoning the table (covered with dishes)

What you eat your pudding in the Sahara?? LOL
Sorry I've taken this off track again.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
What you eat your pudding in the Sahara?? LOL
Sorry I've taken this off track again.

the only dusty "desert" that i know of is my wifes cookies.:phone:

nell67
11-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Nope.where I live,pud is a slang term for....well I just can't say it on here beings we have younger members,:blushing:,kinda like when I called a fannypack a fannypack while hanging around a couple of friends of mine from England,the looks I got that day were,ummmm priceless until the girl told me what they call a fanny over there>>>>>:blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:

crashdive123
11-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Nope.where I live,pud is a slang term for....well I just can't say it on here beings we have younger members,:blushing:,kinda like when I called a fannypack a fannypack while hanging around a couple of friends of mine from England,the looks I got that day were,ummmm priceless until the girl told me what they call a fanny over there>>>>>:blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:

Yep. That's what it's called here too.

Winnie
11-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Oh lordy:blushing::blushing::blushing:
You mean to tell me I have to put an asterisk in it?!? (the word not the dessert). Dessert is what the posh people have, us joe public have p*dding.:)

crashdive123
11-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Winnie - pudding is fine, and fun to eat to. It's the three letter version of the word that has a wee bit of a different meaning on this side of the pond.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
11-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Winnie - pudding is fine, and fun to eat to. It's the three letter version of the word that has a wee bit of a different meaning on this side of the pond.

OK guys.... updating my "terms and sayings From across the pond" handbook. PUD... does not contain bread.in america.... and desert is found in the sahara.

Winnie
11-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Oh the whimsies of a common, but different language!

Rick
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Okay. I can see this is in order. As your Minister of Science, here are some words and how we/they use them:

Brits..............................Yanks
Trainers.........................Sneakers
Boot..............................Car Trunk
Plaster...........................Bandage
Wireless.........................Radio
Courgette.......................Zucchini
Rubber...........................Eraser
Estate car......................Station wagon
Bonnet...........................Car hood
Nappy............................Diaper
Crisps............................Potato chips
Jumper...........................Sweater
Pinny.............................Apron
Cozzy............................Swimsuit
Gum..............................Glue
Pram............................. Baby carriage
Rasher...........................Bacon slice
Starkers.........................Naked
Surgery..........................Doctor's office
Chemist..........................Pharmacist
Solicitor..........................Lawyer
Waistcoat.......................Vest
Off-license......................Liquor store
Sleeping policeman...........Speed bump (unless you're in Mobile, Al. There it's a speed lump)

crashdive123
11-19-2009, 06:29 PM
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/CUSTOMS/questions/americanbritish/index.html

Beo
11-19-2009, 06:55 PM
See and here I thought it was like crash said. Eat wild foods or eat the kids in an emergency, I would just eat the kids so I didn't have to go looking for the wild foods.
Especially if there young and tender, like eating fawn... lol, and if they're under four then the parents can't be too aweful attached to them... lol..

On a serious note my son (Trooper) wouldn't try ost of the wild foods, then he got hungry and... well he ate whatever I gave him. Now at 17, eating wild foods is Taco Bell and McDonalds, a gormet meal is Chipolte's... hmmm kids don't know a thing.
Beo,

Winnie
11-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Well now you've just taken all the fun out of things!

Survival Guy 10
11-19-2009, 08:12 PM
im a kid so i dont have kids but i will eat just about anything the other day i ate a grass hopper mmm tasty

Rick
11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ish/index.html (http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/CUSTOMS/questions/americanbritish/index.html)

Oh, sure!!! I type my little fingers to the bone and you just post a link. (walks off kicking chat and mumbling)

crashdive123
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I did copy it, but didn't have time (or patience) to put in all the ..................'s to separate the columns to make it readable.

justin_baker
04-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Kids dont like veggies, if its summer feed them fruits or berries. Kids love anything sweet!