PDA

View Full Version : What about Money-belt for first-aid gear....???

Sourdough
11-16-2009, 06:22 PM
REI carried a travelers "hidden" Belt, for passport, papers, visa's, credit cards & cash. How would that be for daily carry of first-aid/basic survival stuff.....? I have never owned or worn such a belt, do you have any experience with them......?

Bladen
11-16-2009, 07:38 PM
i hate it when people reply to my posts and say something like " ive never tried this but...".

on that note, ive never tried this but, this seems like a really fantastic idea.
honestly, i dont know why a thing like that isnt ready made and on the market already.

a hidden survival belt
or a hidden first aid belt...i could see moms everywhere going for this one.

simple ideas are the best and this one has my vote 100%

BENESSE
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
I occasionally use one for money & important documents when traveling abroad but only when wearing a vest or streamlined cargo pants isn't an option.

However you position it--pouch on your stomach or the small of your back, you're gonna feel it just enough for it to be annoying. If it's on the front and you bend over, it'll dig in. If it's on the back, it'll ride up.

The idea behind it is good but it needs alternate fabrication and a smoother way to fasten it. I am now researching what's available for long distance cyclists. You can imagine that whatever they wear on their body can't chafe or be distracting in any way. And it can't be bulky.

Winnie
11-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I occasionally use one for money & important documents when traveling abroad but only when wearing a vest or streamlined cargo pants isn't an option.

However you position it--pouch on your stomach or the small of your back, you're gonna feel it just enough for it to be annoying. If it's on the front and you bend over, it'll dig in. If it's on the back, it'll ride up.

The idea behind it is good but it needs alternate fabrication and a smoother way to fasten it. I am now researching what's available for long distance cyclists. You can imagine that whatever they wear on their body can't chafe or be distracting in any way. And it can't be bulky.

Bee how about a neoprene lumbar support, the type with an adjustable velcro fastening with some flat pockets sewn on? Would that work?

BENESSE
11-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Bee how about a neoprene lumbar support, the type with an adjustable velcro fastening with some flat pockets sewn on? Would that work?

Actually a single sheet of neoprene is thicker than the money belt. And neoprene could get hot and sweaty.

I was thinking about doing a sample using Under Armour HeatGear fabric (from an old T-shirt) and making pockets with a deep overlap closure as opposed to velcro or zipper. Then the whole "belt" can fasten either with velcro or sports bra hooks.

Stay tuned.

Ken
11-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Hope, I used a money belt I bought years ago in an attempt to duplicate this "Survival Belt":

http://www.equipped.com/GRAPHICS/pro_belt_kit_spread3_400w.jpg (http://www.equipped.com/pp/pic1210.htm) http://www.equipped.com/pro_belt_kit.htm

It didn't hold much of anything, was uncomfortable, and getting items out was a pain in the @ss.

Other than that, I guess it worked okay. :innocent:

oldsoldier
11-20-2009, 02:15 AM
I have to agree with ken here MOST of the moneybelt/document belts are pretty small. You most likely wouldn't be able to carry enough to make it worth while. Plus as ben said they are uncomforyable as he!!. IMHO a small waist/fanny pack would be better as you can remove it if you nrrd/want to. Anything worn under your clothing would IMO be inconvenient and uncomfortable. I tried wearing one of the "conceled carry" T shirts not to long ago. Couldn't wait to get out of the da## thing.